Intermittent clutch after replacement - O/D Rebuild (Combined Thread)

No I know but due to D44 prices, if ORS stock the bits I will buy from them. 

Having said that, I was shocked how cheap the springs were in D44! That seal in the link though - if its the one i think- is about 10mm in diameter so how they justify that price is beyond me!

I will cut my own gaskets next time!

Edited by reb78

I priced up the parts & inc 4 springs & 2 piston seals it was over 84 quid before vat & postage,  making new gaskets at home would be a good move.

ODR have a gasket set listed for the Jtype OD, so no idea if its the same as the GKN gaskets.

found this near me https://www.ramgaskets.com/ might ask about getting a set or 10 of each gasket made BUT that depends on what the cost would be.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2019 at 6:42 PM, western said:

I priced up the parts & inc 4 springs & 2 piston seals it was over 84 quid before vat & postage,  making new gaskets at home would be a good move.

ODR have a gasket set listed for the Jtype OD, so no idea if its the same as the GKN gaskets.

found this near me https://www.ramgaskets.com/ might ask about getting a set or 10 of each gasket made BUT that depends on what the cost would be.

Just spoken to Ram Gaskets, yes they can make more gaskets but would need material type & measurements, 

Reb78 you have a PM

• 2 months later...

Bit of a update, haven't gone any further forward with the ramgaskets place linked to above, so ordered all the gaskets, piston seals & 4 new springs from Devon4x4, so tomorrow will be a start a rebuild of the Overdrive. 

the little white rings that I mentioned earlier in this thread, I haven't seen any on the 2 OD's sat in my garage.

Thanks for pointing out where the little white seals go, only got one because I though it went on the solenoid end, 

Afraid I've already bought the gaskets this week, going to start rebuilding the OD tomorrow, I wasn't sure when you were sorting the gasket drawings, but would most likely have a set from you for another rebuild in the future, 

I hope the new piston seals & springs solve the problem I had. 

Spent a couple of hours rebuilding the OD, it now has 4 new springs, 2 new piston seals, the 2 filters have been cleaned & inside the OD is nice & clean, so hopefully on from Thurs next week I have a couple of days off &  I can bolt it on & see what happens, if it fails it'll be coming off & be shelved in my garage.

Fingers crossed for you after all that expense and effort.  I think it could be worth persisting, though.

I was watching Britannica Restorations videos on YouTube, including videos of installing and road testing a Roverdrive on a Defender, and it seems a few of his subscribers have been having problems with Roverdrives.  I wasn’t surprised to hear comments about poor bearings, but I was surprised to hear about complete failures.  Then I read Mark Saville’s peculiar piece in this month’s LRO where he says his unit had to be  rebuilt three times in 15,000 miles. because of bearing and gear failures.  He still recommends the product, at £1700 - that’s the bit I find peculiar!  It seems that option is no longer robust or reliable, having outsourced the gears and shafts to China in addition to the terrible bearings they used from the start. 😔

Edited by western
edited
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Oakmaster said:

Sorry Snagger - can you just clarify this bit: "had to be red times in just 15,000"

thanks B

😂😂. Sorry, I’m trying to type on a tablet, which is even worse than a keyboard for me!  Yes, Saville’s was rebuilt three times in 15,000 miles.

• Sad 1

Bloody shame.  I was very pleased with mine, and I put the bearing failure and limited sun shaft damage down to my transfer box oil leak. I was impressed by its resilience, in fact, though I had been unimpressed by the bearings from new - the big main bearing in the front of the housing had a slight tight spot from the start and would squeak on that point when dry (before fitting and later during servicing).  While I thought the redesigned front casing for Series models was too weak after they made big oilways for that bearing, the rest seemed good.  Greed must have taken over.  At least mine is still going strong after 50,000 miles with only new bearings (decent brands from my rebuilding it) and a second mod back to the original front case after the new version they sent me broke a locating lug off.

I believe there is an earlier version 'DX' that had some known issue (which ISTR can be fixed) and the later 'DS' ones are fairly bulletproof... although I thought I saw Britpart selling them & the spares in the UK so I wonder if there's been some cost-cutting somewhere and some (ahem) less than perfect parts may have slipped into the system? :(

I do wonder about quality control as soon as the name Britpart enters the equation.  They’re a wholesaler, not producer, so it shouldn’t matter, but I can’t help but feel they lean on suppliers of products like this to lower the supply cost, and so standards drop.  It’s a very short term action where producers comply - they’ll sell a large shipment in the short term, but then will have nothing in the future as the word gets out that quality has plummeted.

Refitted my rebuilt overdrive today, it works 😁

Went for a local drive & a blast along my section of A30, engaged overdrive it worked & didn't create any slipping when disengaged either, so I hoping the new seal rings on the 2 pistons, 4 new springs & super clean filters can do the job properly. 

Just need to sort out the switch. 

• Like 2

I was a bit worried on the pull away from home, but got drive instantly, glad it's working & hoping it'll make long drive a bit quieter, may go for a longer run tomorrow to get it nicely warmed up, sticking with the standard sump plate at the moment, hopefully Mr VB is sorting out a spacer or bigger sump to increase the fluid capacity, I don't really want to remove the transfer box big sump for the M. O. overdrive sump to go on. Still need some bolts to match as the supplied ones don't match the gkn threads