Jump Start Packs? How do they work?

Oakmaster

I've got the Draper 12 volt strater pack (cheap in the sale at Mole Valley) as well as three other cheap versions form our comrades in the far east. Ive also got a Halfords (Ring) jump pack. I generally use them as camping power packs for phones etc, but the Draper is excellent at starting stuff - even helping start a 6-71 Detroit

53 minutes ago, Oakmaster said:

if they leave it for 2 weeks the battery is flat (which doesn't seem right)  if I leave my 110 Puma for more than 3 days it wont start (I thought that was the stereo - but is plainly more than that!) and my 89 110 V8 drains its battery in 6 to 7 days - Its making me paranoid! 

That is certainly not right. Either a parasitic drain or a problem with the existing battery is causing that. Even my L322 can manage two weeks without flattening itself 🙂

5 hours ago, Oakmaster said:

if they leave it for 2 weeks the battery is flat (which doesn't seem right)  if I leave my 110 Puma for more than 3 days it wont start (I thought that was the stereo - but is plainly more than that!) and my 89 110 V8 drains its battery in 6 to 7 days - Its making me paranoid! 

I leave the ambulance standing for months at a time and it has never failed to start... but then it has a battery cutoff switch so there's zero drain when it's stood.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I leave the ambulance standing for months at a time and it has never failed to start... but then it has a battery cutoff switch so there's zero drain when it's stood.

Yup - there is a JCB Telehandler that Sits here for up to 6 months - and always starts!  Funny thing was that while I was typing away on here this afternoon, my other daughter and my sister were trying to start her 110 300 Tdi (3 hrs drive away)  it has a battery isolator, but it was left on!  

In the meanwhile NOCO tech help have said I cant use a Jump starter to slow charge the battery - so I'm back to square one. 

38 minutes ago, Oakmaster said:

...  it has a battery isolator, but it was left on!  ...

Which is precisely the situation I foresaw in my earlier post.

However, I still think the battery isolator is the solution to use.
They will learn to avoid shooting themselves in their respective feet - hopefully!

Regards.

2 weeks seems a reasonable result for a car with a small battery and things like alarm, radio memory etc. constantly using power. The 110s don't seem right, they have a much bigger battery and certainly the V8 should have little or no current drain.

A battery isolator, though not the most elegant solution, gets my vote as well.

1 hour ago, landroversforever said:

Or look and see what the parasitic losses are.

This ^^^^

Some Honda CRVs are known to develop a dodgy bluetooth module, which increases drain and it needs to be removed / changed. This is frequently talked about on the CRV Facebook group. Perhaps there are known issues for the VW.

All these drained batteries are getting to me - Yesterday Daughter No 2 in Bristol drained VW, Sister and daughter No 1 - with a 110 300 Tdi CSW (Milton Keynes) - wont start, and wont be jump started, and me with my 65 Plate Puma Utility, and my 1989 V8 110 - both with serious battery drain issues.  The V8 110 I think is a DIY immobiliser fault.  A mechanic at the local main dealer says no fault codes with the Puma, but thinks that there may be a fault with the alternator that's flattening the battery.  My NOCO started the very dead Puma instantly, but the Help bod at NOCA says you cant use it to charge or trickle charge a flat car battery. 

Yes, we have a VDub T4 camper too (sadly neglected) - it will always start first time - as will the V8 until recenty  - This whole thing is a ball ache! 

Tomorrow -I'll post a picture of my home made 12V battery pack (made with life expired PC UPS batteries - rejuvenated by the CTEK charger) 

The VW T4, The series one, my daughters VW Fox, and the V8 have all had new batteries recently, all Numax I think!

Edited by Oakmaster
missing info

My truck always starts first time but, as it has a known pretty dud battery, its after about two 'duh ru ru's' !!

However thought I'd just share this as it may help :

An old 1988 Defender 300tdi currently 'sorned' and in various stages of undress in the shed!

Driveable - though with no door or dash to speak of at present! 😁😁

Every Month out for a quick once around the yard and up and down our rough track just to keep things moving.

The old battery, under the passenger seat, is somewhat worse for wear cos it was new in 2014 and although it is on a permanent intelligent charger it will barely turn the big ol' diesel lump over.
The truck is a 'goodun' though and does fire up after only one turn.

So I thought I would give the 'Audew' something to do..... 😈
Its only been sitting pretty in its attractive case and has only managed one charge up of a mobile phone since bought!

So I connected it to the o'l Landy and, bugger me, the truck has never turned over so fast in all its life!
Fired into life in about 2 seconds flat! 😲

Seriously it was an easy, effortless and competent start of a heavy old lump.

Dis-connected and checked the Audew expecting a sizeable discharge...

It has lost - wait for it - 2% 😃😃 now showing a 98% state of charge - pdg!

This 'jumper' was recommended to me on another forum and I feel safe in the knowledge that the any car can be started in the event of a run down as discussed above and also if my phone goes down (as they do) that can be done too!

Good enough for me  😎

hth someone:

Linky

I used to have a Ring solar charger on the roof of my powerless garage for the S1 but they are not waterproof so it died after a number of years. Internally the cable connections corroded off the cells inside the glass.

But it was great over that time and was cheaper than changing the battery every other winter.

Back to the thread though, I have been interested in a waterproof pack for a while so this has helped immensely in my understanding.