MOD Radiator Muff / Cover for wading etc.

Taffid

Hi there everyone, hope you're all staying safe.

Can anyone tell me if you can still get ex-MOD green radiator muffs / covers for defenders ? Many ex-MOD defenders have them on in their pictures, but I can't find a supplier anywhere ?

Many thanks for any help, have a Happy New year, 

Taffid.

4 hours ago, Taffid said:

Hi there everyone, hope you're all staying safe.

Can anyone tell me if you can still get ex-MOD green radiator muffs / covers for defenders ? Many ex-MOD defenders have them on in their pictures, but I can't find a supplier anywhere ?

Many thanks for any help, have a Happy New year, 

Taffid.

Exmoor trim do the ones fitted to the wolfs 

Gluv🇬🇧

21 hours ago, Taffid said:

Many thanks for your help, have one on order ready for the new year, thanks again.

That's a bugger, i just found one in the workshop you could've had for the postage :rolleyes:

I bought it for an artic circle trip to keep the engine temps up whilst driving

8 hours ago, Sigi_H said:

the main purpose with wading is to protect the visco fan with the radiator muff

How does a muff on the back protect the spinning blades of doom sat in the engine bay? If you're underwater the blades are going to get wet soon enough.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2020 at 11:16 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

How does a muff on the back protect the spinning blades of doom sat in the engine bay? If you're underwater the blades are going to get wet soon enough.

I'm guessing that the muff stops or reduces the pressure from the water flowing in the front. Yes. it's still submerged but not in a raging torrent.

Maybe the spinning blades of doom (great description) cavitate and make their own little oasis of bubbles? (Yes, I'm taking the tiddle)

On 12/31/2020 at 12:16 AM, FridgeFreezer said:

The radiator muff protects the fan from a rapid surge of water entering through the radiator. If the visco rotates quickly it can be destroyed by the surge. The problem is not, when the fan is under water, but the moment the water is entering.

I did use to have an exmore trim wading blanket thing installed on my truck for quite a few years - was just after we experienced a lot of flooding in Aberdeenshire, suffice to say in the 4 years it was on I never needed to used it and I'm pretty sure it restricted airflow into the rad on my 200, so I took it off a few years ago now, it hadn't reacted very well to UV started to fade and fall apart.

I now carry a re-usable Tesco shopping bag one of those square tough material ones, if I see any deep water I need to go through then that gets tied on over the grill to get me through any water.

I had an idea (oh, no, not another one!) which, at the time, I didn't have the facilities to try.

Making a louvered grille to look similar to a Defender one, where the louvres are hinged (like a Venetian Blind) so you can open & close the grille via a push-pull cable.  That was in the days of my V8 90 - so it really needed the cooling and the radiator getting blocked was a persistant problem.

You can buy very similar grilles for Air Conditioning vents - but I couldn't find anything that looked sufficiently like a Defender Grille to adapt.

3 hours ago, simonr said:

I had an idea (oh, no, not another one!) which, at the time, I didn't have the facilities to try.

Making a louvered grille to look similar to a Defender one, where the louvres are hinged (like a Venetian Blind) so you can open & close the grille via a push-pull cable.  That was in the days of my V8 90 - so it really needed the cooling and the radiator getting blocked was a persistant problem.

You can buy very similar grilles for Air Conditioning vents - but I couldn't find anything that looked sufficiently like a Defender Grille to adapt.

Opening and closing grills I've seen on a few old cars, but also on the front of some of the american big rigs.

12 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Opening and closing grills I've seen on a few old cars, but also on the front of some of the american big rigs.

It's done on modern Fords and probably others for aero, but it's all fairly well hidden and probably quite hard to re-purpose.

1 minute ago, FridgeFreezer said:

It's done on modern Fords and probably others for aero, but it's all fairly well hidden and probably quite hard to re-purpose.

Yes, very common for aero on newer cars now.

Old Rollers (I think it was them, maybe another wedding style car!) also have something that opens and closes the big chrome radiator grille, dependent on engine temperature.