I got an idea but probably

Heres my stupid idea , well can it be done? Can I rebuild my 90 into a 130 ? What laws am i /would I be breaking. ? Same engine gearbox axles ect. I can't really see what would be wrong with doing that. You can build kit cars ect? Educated me

It will be waaaay easier & cheaper to sell the 90 as a complete vehicle and buy a complete 130, even one that needs a lot of work.

Also as others have said you'll need a new chassis as 130's are built from 110 HCPU chassis with an uprated Salisbury back axle (not just a 110 unit), plus assorted bodywork, rear prop, springs, the brakes will be wrong (110 had a different master cyl to the 90 and I think the 130's got the bigger front brakes) and then as you say it will at best end up on a Q plate.

So, basically, everything from the driver's seat back, plus an entire chassis.

As has been said above. You could use the 90 rear axle but the truck would need be down plated for weight capacity. If you use most of the 90's parts (bar the parts that need to be 130 or bespoke) you will get an age related plate in fact even if you use two donor vehicles they will pick one to use for the age (depending on which is older/has the most parts in the build). I actually had to try quite hard to get a Q plate on my ibex. 

Personally rather than build a 90 into a 130 I would buy a 130 and use the 90 to donate the parts to fix it.

Or

Buy an ibex kit and use the 90 as a donor. (This would be what I would do).

Mike

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, andy _1 said:

I have never seen one of them before. How much , is that a kit car ? There are no prices i can see , only £1000 deposit

20190818_180338.thumb.jpg.9a790000bb2edc9dc5da8f91f5889e98.jpg

From memory they start from £8k ish for the kit and it will cost you from about £12k on top to build (including buying a donor). Which sounds a lot until you actually work out the costs of building a defender (I doubt your 130 project would leave much change from £30k if done to a good standard). I know which I'd rather have.......:ph34r:

Mike

No it would not cost anywhere near that , the defender that is. Thats well out of my price range. The defender conversion to 130/110. I would like a double cab with a bit on the end small load area. I was thinking about 3-4 k , probably better selling the 90 buying a 110 and make it a double cab

To convert a 90 to a 130 (or a 110) would cost considerably more than £4k. The IVA and registration alone are best part of £700 assuming it passed first time. A chassis is £3k (assumes a new galv chassis). All the body parts you don't have £2k (assumes second hand). Paint £500 if you do it yourself, £3k at a paint shop. Odds and sods (fuel tank, rear axle, prop etc) £1-2k.

Sell the 90 and add what you can to buy a 110/130.

Mike

• Like 3

3 hours ago, miketomcat said:

To convert a 90 to a 130 (or a 110) would cost considerably more than £4k. The IVA and registration alone are best part of £700 assuming it passed first time. A chassis is £3k (assumes a new galv chassis). All the body parts you don't have £2k (assumes second hand). Paint £500 if you do it yourself, £3k at a paint shop. Odds and sods (fuel tank, rear axle, prop etc) £1-2k.

Sell the 90 and add what you can to buy a 110/130.

Mike

Well I will explain , don't want to start arguments ect. I figure the chassis will cost about £350 galvanised new , paint about 2k 1 stage about£20 a litre say 5 litres paint  3 litres hardener under £250 , all the new rubbers ect guess £200.  Truck king cab dont know how much £1000? New props guessing £200 and all the rest with the £2k left. I am thinking I am better getting a old wrecked 110 , as said before stops all the dvla stuff. It the chassis stuff that usually causes arguments. The reason I am thinking about it is I like the look of the king cab and thinking building my own rear box like Mike @britannica Restorations. I learned with the 90 how to build chassis made some mistakes that cost money example you don't need to buy new spring hangers if the old ones are OK,  you can reuse them when galvanised you can't tell the difference . If someone know price of  king cab I know a standard cab and roof about £300 odds. Just an idea just now.

35 minutes ago, andy _1 said:

I figure the chassis will cost about £350 galvanised new

Could you post a link to a chassis supplier selling a galvanised new chassis for that ball park figure?

53 minutes ago, andy _1 said:

I am thinking I am better getting a old wrecked 110 , as said before stops all the dvla stuff.

Doesn't stop anything, you need an IVA if you modify the chassis to 130 wheelbase.

• Like 2

I am the manufacturer of the chassis I make my own,  with ref to 110 needing a iva yes I was not going to extend the chassis of the 110 just the load carrying tub bit ie like a ute in auz. Hers a pic of my last chassis. That one there cost £450 but I bought all new spring carriers ect,  so I am hoping it would not need new carriers if I get a wrecked 110, you can reuse them , I learned that from reusing the seat box carriers I reused them.

Screenshot_20210304-171457_Gallery.jpg

Edited by andy _1

Very nice chassis!

The 130 is reinforced in a few ways that I'm not entirely sure about, so if you did build one, then you'll want to confer what you need to do to make it a bit stronger.

1 hour ago, andy _1 said:

I am the manufacturer of the chassis I make my own,  with ref to 110 needing a iva yes I was not going to extend the chassis of the 110 just the load carrying tub bit ie like a ute in auz. Hers a pic of my last chassis. That one there cost £450 but I bought all new spring carriers ect,  so I am hoping it would not need new carriers if I get a wrecked 110, you can reuse them , I learned that from reusing the seat box carriers I reused them.

Screenshot_20210304-171457_Gallery.jpg

Nice one if that is built from scratch! Assume you've not just galvanised a repaired chassis? Has it got all the right internal bracing and reinforcing? That will be even more important in a 130.

Even making you own chassis at that cost, I doubt very much you'll get any change out of ~£10-12K. Unless you're buying totally shagged body panels they will eat a lot of the money and thats assuming your current bulkhead would be reusable without lots of work. Even down the little nuts/bolts/washers/seals/gaskets.... its surprising how it adds up. My build is well over £25K in parts alone, the majority of those being orders of less than £50.