There goes that then

FridgeFreezer

Someone fitted 36" tyres to a hilux and made it to this comic!

Not only that but they quoted the guy as saying his work is "similar to Devon 4x4" - I know there's a healthy cynicism round here for the bling merchants but a ratty Hilux on 36's is not quite a competitor for Devon's work :rolleyes:

When they list "6-disc CD changer" as a mod you've got to wonder :unsure:

i've just about given up on all the comics now - i perservered with TOR but when they changed the feature layout to include those little windows detailing the mods and still managed not to include any decent phtots I threw the towel in. Flick through it in the newsagents occasionally to see if it's picked up but not so far.

As previously mentioned surely it's not impossible to produce a mag about modified vehicles and include a bit of technical info and relevant photos?

Yep,

I borrowed a mates (he about to not renew) even said the same "thought they were going proper off road etc" flicked through it and handed back same evening

Waste of money.

Things you do read basically tell you they are different to the USA mob - the Mags there are run edited and put together by experienced 4x4ers who do edit work and produce the mags for a living. Here in the UK they say they are enthusiasts but know less than many basic newbie club members, often articels are limited in tech info becuase they haven't a f Clue whats what, I get fed up with "ultimate this" and "extreme" the other of what is either a pile of Junk or a chequebook idiot who thinks his truck is 'the best'

UK Mags have exceptionally poor circulation numbers now, most are as bad as all the others, if they at least would print without staples they could serve a purpose for the smallest room in the house :)

Gawd help me, thank gawd I have subs to US Mags now :)

Don't hold your breath that any UK mags will be any use, best stick with club mags awdc mag and forums

Nige

Things were better when all there was were LRO and LRW in my view.

Not read TOR, but did used to enjoy LRW when Alan Kidd was editor, had a nice feel about the mag, in the same way that Superbike had in the eighties.

Too many mags and not enough enthusiasts these days I would say.

Plus the usual wrong percentages of editorial over advertising.Mags seem to forget that in the modern world of the web, they are consistantly very behind in the new stakes.

Dont really bother with them now, and was a LRO sub man for 5 years.

Plenty of enthusiasts and users of the marque but not all of them are into competitive offroading.

What are you getting at MOG? The mag's called Total Off Road and promised to show only "the mud stuff" in their mag but are now doing reviews of double-cab pikey chariots and blathering on with about as much off-road knowledge as Good Housekeeping. <_<

Their sister publication is supposed to be for the shiny brigade.

Guest diesel_jim

I just got to the newsagesnt and look at the top shelf look through the various mags (LR MAGS!! :ph34r: ) and see which ones look most interesting (that basically means, which one is doing the best angle of whichever story, as they all seem to print the same stuff!) and buy that one!

The "summer" is always a dodgy time of year for some of these mags. I guess with contributors on holiday they don't have time to write proper articles so just throw a few articles together to fill up the pages.

I think TOR have run out of ideas and enthusiasm now, each issue is a little bit duller than the previous one. This months edition must have been the worst yet, read it in 5 minutes.

What are you getting at MOG? The mag's called Total Off Road and promised to show only "the mud stuff" in their mag but are now doing reviews of double-cab pikey chariots and blathering on with about as much off-road knowledge as Good Housekeeping. <_<

Their sister publication is supposed to be for the shiny brigade.

Steady, I was responding to epsongreens more general comments.

Thought it was just me that thought TOR was going off.Got this months and read all the bits i wanted to read in 5 mins like landmannn said :huh: .Looked through my locker at work and found one from a couple of years ago,and it kept me occupied for ages

Would be a shame if TOR goes the same way as many of the other mags

Paul ;)

Why don't the Brit mags approach some of the more knowledgeable enthusiasts on forums such as these to write the tech stuff ? I gave up buying any offroad mags, even issues my vehicles were featured in (honest) years ago. The British ones sad to say are particularly bad and vomit inducing though, especially Big and Bouncy :)

Bill.

I only buy 4X4 builder, it's pretty fantastic.

Nearest i've been to TOR is glancing at it at my mates houses.

I think the failing of the magazine is down to poor journo's and poor editing.

Allan kid and his pet photographer seem to have the combined off road knowledge of a 9 year old schoool girl.

A while ago they were trying to get my permission to photograph and feature the gwagon, i told then that i'd rather not as they'd only get all the details wrong as they had no depth of knowledge. they countered this by saying they'd been into off roading "forever", but then when i challenged them to identify my tyres at 20 yards the best they could manage was "they're not simex"

F**king retards, needless to say they were told to p**s off.

Why don't the Brit mags approach some of the more knowledgeable enthusiasts on forums such as these to write the tech stuff ?

Well, we've got the expertise right here... BBC's V8 build, fitting an underdrive, plenty on modifying an 8274, RangeRover sill replacement, or anything from the excellent Hayneson maintenance series. Just had a peek in the (underused) tech archive, there's something from Will about welding and even my water pump swap made it in. Then we cover wider areas such as getting an SVA, building a fast hydro winch or even putting on those dangerous portal axles.

There are plenty who register and stump up for forum coffers, and a smaller number who donate stuff like carbide drills, CB ariels and whole cars, but in principle the information is free and in the public domain. So why would I pay near a fiver to read something of similar origin, dumbed down by a journo to fit into three or four pages, with smaller photos and where I can't ask questions*.

I suppose in that respect, I guess we have killed the UK magazines by bringing the enthusiasts directly to each other - Link House etc can no longer take our money from us and Scorpion/Ashcroft/X-Eng/Bearmach can't control what we read and believe. We give our experiences and I think everyone (apart from the monopolists) are better off for it.

*Inevitably the questions turn into pisstaking but I can cope with that.

Allan kid and his pet photographer seem to have the combined off road knowledge of a 9 year old schoool girl.

A while ago they were trying to get my permission to photograph and feature the gwagon, i told then that i'd rather not as they'd only get all the details wrong as they had no depth of knowledge. they countered this by saying they'd been into off roading "forever", but then when i challenged them to identify my tyres at 20 yards the best they could manage was "they're not simex"

F**king retards, needless to say they were told to p**s off.

:hysterical:

Oi :angry:

PM me your address

I need to invioce you for a new keyboard, .............mine is now full of Guiness and crisps :P

Nige

I think i agree with you all, we looked at advertising in TOR when they changed the format to the 'only mud' unfortunatly the mag seems to of gone downhill, the articles need to be more in depth and more knowladgeable, a young lad from down our way had is truck in there, there was no talk of what hed done to the truck AT THE AGE OF 14 - ON HIS OWN ! just a list of mods, well i can seee that with my own eyes.. Theyve had some interesting vehicles in there with a oppertunity to write some good, interesting and informative articles...

Now im going to stirr it up even more.. this is my own personal opinion so please dont take offence, i dont mean it to be...

Since working within the whole 4x4 'industry' if you want to call it that ive noticed that there is no enthusiasts anymore.. You used to be able to walk into your local 4x4 parts place, outside would be a load of modded trucks, the guys working would be out off roading sunday etc... Now all you see is a bunch of citroen berlingos and some muppet who doesnt know his head from his a**e..

Over the last few years everything has become so competitive, people are obsessed with buying things as cheap as physically possible, no brand loyalty anymore, extreme team !! Companies see it as one huge moneypit now and the magazines take themselfs so seriously..

What happend to the FUN side of it...

Surely the mags can see what people are interested in, ive only been on this forum for a while, but id reccomend any editor to take a look on this forum for proof..

Ive great respect for ppl like Kev baldwin and Charlie thorn, i think they write some interesting stuff.. But most of all they are REAL enthusiasts..

RANT OVER :D

BTW Maybe some of the guys from here should offer to write for TOR - few extra pennies surely !

Cheers Chris

I suppose in that respect, I guess we have killed the UK magazines by bringing the enthusiasts directly to each other - Link House etc can no longer take our money from us and Scorpion/Ashcroft/X-Eng/Bearmach can't control what we read and believe. We give our experiences and I think everyone (apart from the monopolists) are better off for it.

*Inevitably the questions turn into pisstaking but I can cope with that.

Hmm i think i would remove two from that list, i havent seen a article with Xeng or Bearmach in a long time, everything now seems to be Britpart ?? :huh:

but your right, i think forums have killed the mags slightly...

BTW Maybe some of the guys from here should offer to write for TOR - few extra pennies surely !

Erm Nope

I had a few conversations with TOR, when you get in the least bit technical you undersatnd quickly that they haven't got a F clue around anything other than bolt on or bought - which obviously has to be best ? :lol:.

They also 'promised faithfully' to make sure we gave "exclusive rights" to the recent MWWCE,

As it got closer I rang and rang and rang, nobody there.

I left meassges and mesages to ring me as they had promised a Photogapher for the event - nothing.

The event came and went I still rang and left messages - nothing,

I was approached by LRM so gave it to them,

................whilst they equaly tech wise are little better................ at least they are 'alive'.

As I said .................

US mags - run by enthusiasts, :)

UK mags - run by cretins that would know a '4 link' from a 'Foresk*n' in most cases,

and are a waste of money time and effort trying to "Educate" ........as they are "Legends in their own minds" :(

Oh and remove 'ashcrofts' too from the list above -

I have absolutely nothing but praise for thm over numerous purchases over the years , and numerous queries and requests top notch company and ethics .............as with Si R at X-Eng,

They advertise as they hope it will bring customers,

I truly hope it does for them as they are quality companies,

however I know advert costs are about the only truly "Extreme" thing in the mags :lol:

Nige