There goes that then

FridgeFreezer

"Allan kid and his pet photographer seem to have the combined off road knowledge of a 9 year old schoool girl"

Whilst I agree with most of the opinions about TOR and the other comics, the 'pet photographer', assuming you're talking about the skinny northerner, is a good friend of mine, has been for knocking 15 years, and most certainly does have rather more off road knowledge and skill than you keyboard experts give him credit for. His 88" hybrid was pretty much built by his own hand, anything he couldn't do himself he was present while it was done lending a hand, it is most definitely not a 'cheque book' vehicle.

It is completely unfair to knock someone you do not know well. You should also know that the 'pet photographer' is not solely in the employ of TOR, there are other magazines in the group, all chasing for his time. Hence why often the photographs in the articles are taken by the author, not by the staff photographer, and are not up to the standards of a professional photographer.

He must be doing something right, he's making a decent living out of it.

"Allan kid and his pet photographer seem to have the combined off road knowledge of a 9 year old schoool girl"

Whilst I agree with most of the opinions about TOR and the other comics, the 'pet photographer', assuming you're talking about the skinny northerner, is a good friend of mine, has been for knocking 15 years, and most certainly does have rather more off road knowledge and skill than you keyboard experts give him credit for. His 88" hybrid was pretty much built by his own hand, anything he couldn't do himself he was present while it was done lending a hand, it is most definitely not a 'cheque book' vehicle.

It is completely unfair to knock someone you do not know well. You should also know that the 'pet photographer' is not solely in the employ of TOR, there are other magazines in the group, all chasing for his time. Hence why often the photographs in the articles are taken by the author, not by the staff photographer, and are not up to the standards of a professional photographer.

Whilst he may be a good friend of yours,

I found him to be a "Person Resembling a Pink Starfish", and the very image of a man who shouldn't be involved in an enthuisiasts magazine.

I asked him about his hybrid (which is quite nice) and why all the mods on it seemed half finished wondering mainly if it was work in progress.

He replied that it had been off the road for a year or more because no one would give him the bits for free to finish it.

I was left with the impression that nothing would get done on his hybrid unless someone else paid or did the work for him. As it was his god given right to recieve freebys.

I was left with the impression that nothing would get done on his hybrid unless someone else paid or did the work for him. As it was his god given right to recieve freebys.

That's what most car mags do - a mate used to work for Max Power and all they did was sit about phoning people up and saying "If you fit your stuff to my car I'll write a nice review" :rolleyes: seems to be what most of the LR mags do too by way of "reviews" and "tech" all you get is "Supplier X sent us this thing, and so-and-so Ltd. fitted it for us in their well equipped workshop" <_< woo, yay, tech...

Oh and I've just cancelled my TOR subs and e-mailed Alan Kidd telling him why, wonder if he'll even read it :huh:

Whilst he may be a good friend of yours,

I found him to be a &quot;Person Resembling a Pink Starfish&quot;, and the very image of a man who shouldn't be involved in an enthuisiasts magazine.

I asked him about his hybrid (which is quite nice) and why all the mods on it seemed half finished wondering mainly if it was work in progress.

He replied that it had been off the road for a year or more because no one would give him the bits for free to finish it.

Hello mate, remember all those conversations weve had about people skills?

The conclusion of which was:

"The whole idea of being people skilled is knowing or finding how to bring out the best in others in any situation, rather than their worst. By mastering people skills you dramatically increase your chances of achieving the best outcomes out of your interactions and business and life challenges."

Of course you carry on and not take heed, making some threads on LR4x4 quite entertaining!

Hello mate, remember all those conversations weve had about people skills?

The conclusion of which was:

"The whole idea of being people skilled is knowing or finding how to bring out the best in others in any situation, rather than their worst. By mastering people skills you dramatically increase your chances of achieving the best outcomes out of your interactions and business and life challenges."

Of course you carry on and not take heed, making some threads on LR4x4 quite entertaining!

Na still haven't mastered that one, if i don't like someone they get to know about it real quick.

This way my real friends know who they are and those that aren't are left with no illusions.

been off the road for a year or more because no one would give him the bits for free to finish it.

I found that a problem as well. Thats the best excuse I've heard in ages for not getting on with a job. In fact I am tempted to use this excuse myself!

Daan

Oh and I've just cancelled my TOR subs and e-mailed Alan Kidd telling him why, wonder if he'll even read it huh.gif

Did you send him a link to this thread???

I would be really interested (if somewhat unsympathetic) to hear the view from the otherside....

Na still haven't mastered that one, if i don't like someone they get to know about it real quick.

This way my real friends know who they are and those that aren't are left with no illusions.

:hysterical:

PMSL so hard I think I may have strained something....

.....but your sentiments and attitude work for me :)

I hate all this PC "Hold that thought" and "lets just expand on that" etc etc, nonsense .....no lets not , :angry:

.....spades a spade technique works well .........esp with complete cretins :lol:

Nige

Ask rog how many times i've left him on his own with some numpty because he's to polite to walk away himself :D

Dan - remember St. P on day 1:

"You must be Rob"

"Yeah, hi"

"Bye"

Mark - yes I've sent him a link, if he gets through the e-mail that far I'll be amazed, if he bothers coming here I'll be impressed, if he actually bothers to post I may have to subscribe again :lol:

well if you read about the P90 projet build, you will see that went way over budget and no doubt was full of feebee's, :o work that out!! he even asked for free winch with the line! i have a lot of clout in the l/r mag's and can get you a good write up........ big f**king deal...now f**k off!!! The said winch's are doing fine thank's! (not mine but a good friend's) that you all no about.

Annoying DD is a laugh but in all seriousness, Steve Taylor (sp?) TOR's prime snapper is a sound bloke, a damn good off roader, witty and intelligent. He has a bloody good knowledge of things 4x4 (maybe not so strong on one off Panzer fabrication) and he is a superb snapper. I have spent a great deal of time with him over over a three year period up to 18 months ago and despite his inability to buy a drink in all that time would rate him very highly as a person and a professional. I am not getting paid for this.

i cannot stand any of the LR or offroad mags at the moment,

:angry:

full of pompous idiots. I am certainly no repository of knowledge on all things 4x4 - even go so far as to say a novice! - but when i read TOR even i can tell some things they say are completely wrong.

as for LRO - coblers in more ways that one! One more mention of certain companies and they might as well just put "This is an advertising feature for protrax and scrapiron" on the front cover!

recently i took part in an RTV where a "magazine" with "enthusiast" in the title had some cameramen attend to take some video. Said magazines editor type bod turned up to compete (he is a member of our club, but probably the only event he has turned up to, wonder why?)

video equipment set up with one of the groups and shot some footage etc with certain "chap" driving around like a knob.

Camera men decided to join the other group in the afternoon to shoot them instead.

so "he" decides to leave his group and join ours so he can get some more footage of him being an arse. Needless to say his scorecard was incorrect as he had driven some of the sections twice and missed others out by swapping between the groups. Talk about being a media whore..........i can guarantee he'll be all over the feature in the mag as our "resident trials hero....blahblahblah!"

funniest bit was when he tried to clear one section about 6 times for the camera and kept failing at the 2 gate. Most of us in fairly standard 90's cleared it no problems. To say most of the video was unusable due to all of us heckling is an understatement. :lol:

TOR - full of pointless cartoon type story boards with no tech information at all. Such a shame, as it could be so good.

giving up on the glossies now. i do have a few copies kicking about, but i only use them as a source of phone numbers when i require bits for the landie. :ph34r:

as has been said in other posts - most of the UK mags are now just a "means to an end" for editors / journos never ending quest for media coverage and cheap parts for their own builds.

I read most of them, enjoy some more than others - the new look/new management LRE is sooooo much better than it used to be. What gets me is the lack of questions answered. On P90 and even the 6x6 from TOR what about SVA, how did they achieve it as both would have to do so to be road legal... What is the RB drive through axle? Why has Jerry T become such an off road God? Why doesn't anyone point out just how cr*p some of these vehicles are? Where is the write up on Petal or Will Worn's motor. How much does DD's motor weigh?

hmm, just had a interesting package through the post... A nice glossy presentation for a magazine in portugal called 'Land Portugal' very well presented and informative, the mag looks to be excellent quality, even with my limited command of portugese i could follow most of it..

WE NEVER GET ANYTHING FORM THE NAFF UK MAGS LIKE THIS AS THEY CANT BE BOTHERED.

Weve just decided to advertise in this mag and ive subscribed, tho whole appearance and layout is interesting and informative even though i cant read most of it, its still more interesting than TOR LRO etc.

http://www.revistalandportugal.com/principal.asp

I thin the euro, US and OZ mags a very good, why are the UK ones lagging so far behind...

Possibly because the UK guys try to be too PC ??

.....but your sentiments and attitude work for me :)

I hate all this PC "Hold that thought" and "lets just expand on that" etc etc, nonsense .....no lets not , :angry:

.....spades a spade technique works well .........esp with complete cretins :lol:

I hear what you're saying but the bottom line is that we have to think out of the box to facilitate blue sky thinking.

Taking it to the next level will need us to bring core competencies to the table which will create a win-win situation and really empower the team to push the envelope.

Our client focus incentivises our team to create synergies which create best practice and state of the art solutions to maximise our cost base and remove disinvenctives to save.

We will take ownership of your critical needs and ensure that lessons leartn add to the big picture.

Thank you for this oppotunity to discuss this scenario and i look forward to revisiting your world class game plan in the near future.

I hear what you're saying but the bottom line is that we have to think out of the box to facilitate blue sky thinking.

Taking it to the next level will need us to bring core competencies to the table which will create a win-win situation and really empower the team to push the envelope.

Our client focus incentivises our team to create synergies which create best practice and state of the art solutions to maximise our cost base and remove disinvenctives to save.

We will take ownership of your critical needs and ensure that lessons leartn add to the big picture.

Thank you for this oppotunity to discuss this scenario and i look forward to revisiting your world class game plan in the near future.

Jim, bang on.

Im currently working with a guy who talks like that, in the last meeting, I lost all thought completely, as I was just counting how many times Im going to punch him!

Latest one off him, which should result in a kick in his b*ll*x, after missing a couple of calls to each others mobiles was his voice message of "Sorry to be playing phone tennis with you" - irritating numpty.

They should all go forth and create revunue streams!!