Nothing MAJOR but IMMENSELY ANNOYING!

A while ago I replaced the float in the fuel tank of my '95 300Tdi 90

And in some ways for the most part it works!?!.....But on the odd times when I'm flushed enough to have spare cash to it to the brim ie. the top of the filler pipe (Yes I know it's not good practice). The fuel gauge never shows/reads FULL on level ground!?! It ALWAYSshows 3/4 of a tank???...... Yet if I go down hill or round a right hand bend then the needle on the fuel gauge WILL rise to FULL!?!

I have on numerous occasions removed the float and checked it's seated correctly, connected it up to the wires and moved it by hand with the ignition on and it all works and reads as it should!?!.....But FILL it with Diesel and it NEVER reads more than 3/4's Filled!?!

Is this the way it is or am I being stupid and just need to drive round a downhill roundabout until there is actually 3/4's of a tank of Derv!?!

Cheers guys, will check float for taking in fuel, may look at bending wire arm down a tad as a last resort!?!

Totally agree the need to know when fuel is low, is the Important thing! BUT!!! On the odd occasion when I've saved all my pennies and treat myself to a FULL TANK of diesel, I would like the Green F@#$%€& Monster to show some appreciation and have it's gauge READ FULL!!!!!!!!!!!

My suspicion is that you have a poor contact that is improving under the lateral forces of the turn, perhaps a wiring contact, but more likely the ranging arm on the sender making poor contact with the resistive windings, side forces pressing the float arm and ranging arm harder against the windings.

23 hours ago, Mutley said:

Cheers guys, will check float for taking in fuel, may look at bending wire arm down a tad as a last resort!?!

I'd adjust it as first resort - it's a pretty crude device and they aren't accurate out of the box, never mind after being shoved past the baffles.  2cm difference in the height of the ping pong ball on the end of the wire is probably over 15 litres variance.  

The most accurate way to set the arm is from empty - just about to conk out of fuel - then you can choose where in the red you want empty to be, and it will naturally read full on a filled tank.  If you do it the other way you won't know where empty is until it's too late..

I got sick of fuel tank gauge twitching and badly reading on my standard set-up - I cleaned the wee resistance slider on the sender and that helped improve the situation but in the end I installed a new float and sender and switched to my TD5 dash set-up, no more fuel level grips.

The sender on my 90 occasionally gets hung up on the baffles and the gauge stops moving. It always catches me for a short while as I start to think "I'm getting decent economy on this tank" and then I realise what's happened and either have to go over some speed humps or fill up again to get it unstuck.

Happens maybe one time in ten, so annoying but evidently not *quite* annoying enough for me to fix it as it's been like that for years...

To me it sounds more like your tank breather is blocked and your not actually putting a full tank in. For it to go up in corners etc the fuel level has to go up so if the breather is blocked you'll have an air bubble in the tank therefore you only have ¾ of a tank.

Mike

On 10/13/2021 at 7:11 AM, miketomcat said:

To me it sounds more like your tank breather is blocked and your not actually putting a full tank in. For it to go up in corners etc the fuel level has to go up so if the breather is blocked you'll have an air bubble in the tank therefore you only have ¾ of a tank.

Mike

Mine definitely isn't - it leaks if I brim it :lol: