Boost pressure spike help on VNT

Maverik

The boost ring advances the fuel timing at higher revs to give a longer burn time. They work well in my experience, though I find it makes the engine smoother rather than noticeably more powerful. Maybe that's the same thing, I don't know 😁

Mo

27 minutes ago, Mo Murphy said:

The boost ring advances the fuel timing at higher revs to give a longer burn time. They work well in my experience, though I find it makes the engine smoother rather than noticeably more powerful. Maybe that's the same thing, I don't know 😁

Mo

That's completly the opposite of my understanding, but sounds sensible - thank you Moseph

I felt it was much smoother, rather than more power. But I interprested it the wrong way as I had misundertodd (completly) how

Basics:

Mechanical fuel lift pump?

New fuel filter?

No air leaks?Β 

Something changes between start, spike and subsequent running.Β 

That's got to be fuel or air. Or glow plugs?

52 minutes ago, rusty_wingnut said:

Where are you taking boost pressure from? Mine was from the back of the manifold, I also controlled turbo from the same connection.

Standard place T'd off the turbo compressor snail.

Could it just be some initial "sticking", but not really noticeable sticking, that you're seeing on the gauge because you hardly have any air volume to take up the spike? Probably a reading from the manifold would look fine.

1 hour ago, elbekko said:

Could it just be some initial "sticking", but not really noticeable sticking, that you're seeing on the gauge because you hardly have any air volume to take up the spike? Probably a reading from the manifold would look fine.

Potentially, but its not just a spike on the gauge - the vehicle runs noticeably different, I'll be accelerating in 2nd very sluggish then without moving the accelerator you feel a surge, smoke goes and it suddenly accelerates and the boost pressure drops slightly.

4 hours ago, elbekko said:

Could it be a collapsing hose or a kink in a hose or something?

Possible, but I would say its a remote chance, as I'd expect the problem to be there all the time and not just on start up (but when has a failure ever been reliable). I do have a set of Silicone air hoses to go on, I was waiting for a slightly less hospitable outside temperature to appear before having a go at it.

• 2 weeks later...

So.. I've been driving her for some time and the sticking is happening after each re-start. - other stuff I've noticed, is that she smokes badly, I put this down to a worn engine before then dodgy injectors and now this un fathomable issue, the only thing I've not touched on this vehicle is the injector pump. The more I think about it the more items are pointing to its misbehavior.Β 

When I first installed this turbo back in 2020, I drove her all over the south of England and never once noticed smoking pretty much under every condition when you've got your foot on the accelerator... I hate being the stereotypical Smokey old land rover on the road.

And with this latest strange fuel/boost issue I figure I've not got much to loose at this point.

Will be picking up a refurb pump from Sheaf Diesel Services this afternoon.

• Like 2

Well I tried using the logic route... and kinda hit a brick wall, so plan B - throw more money at it... 🀒

At least defenders are "appreciating" - I keep telling myself its an investment...

Its all part of the master plan... when the Mk2 Grenadier comes out, sell all my landys and buy one of them!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pretty gutted, pump installed it's dark so not seen it properly but it looked like no change what so ever.Β 

Engine seems a little smoother maybe, but looked to be smoking like a train and the strange boost behaviour was exactly the same.Β 

Next I'll be taking the VNT turbo off and reverting back to standard. Sick to the teeth of throwing cash down the sink.Β 

If I didn't have some god awful attachment to this truck then it would be gone.

• Sad 4

13 minutes ago, Maverik said:

Pretty gutted, pump installed it's dark so not seen it properly but it looked like no change what so ever.Β 

Engine seems a little smoother maybe, but looked to be smoking like a train and the strange boost behaviour was exactly the same.Β 

Next I'll be taking the VNT turbo off and reverting back to standard. Sick to the teeth of throwing cash down the sink.Β 

Ah carp. Was hoping this sorted you out. If you are keeping it then the pump being sorted will at least sort that out for the next 150k miles.

Β 

I agree swapping back to standard would be next on the list to rule it out

Β 

Β 

49 minutes ago, Maverik said:

Next I'll be taking the VNT turbo off and reverting back to standard

I was taught by Japanese mentors to "never give up", so try to keep your mojo working.

I had to remove a VNT off a CRV this time last year- twice. It's almost impossible to get at; really really hard. So I am sure it will be simple for you on your truck and will eliminate another potential cause in your Cause & Effect.

5 hours ago, Maverik said:

Arse !

Β 

Mo