Lorry Shortage

Anderzander

I did the math a while ago, and didn't see much problems. Assuming the container is empty of course!

I was quoted an empty weight of 2200kg, which is well within the limits of a 3-axle trailer. The length of 20ft does exceed the typical length of the load bed, but you can clearly see a rear bumper with license plate and lights right at the back. Width is not much worse than a big caravan, so perfectly doable. Clip-on mirrors might be a good idea and probably a legal requirement. 
A load like that will have serious drag, but I'm sure my Range would easily manage a perfectly legal 50-55mph in case it's necessary to use a motorway.

The article doesn't give much details, so it might have been grossly overloaded, explaining the low speed. I think it was the poor weather conditions and defective lights that triggered the police.   

About 20 people tagged me in this on the local newspaper farcebook page asking if it was me! The article did not explain much further other than to say unsuitable mirrors and defective lights. It appears it was just pulled over for driving slowly on an A road in poor visibility. A TDI Defender with 3500kg behind it and that much wind resistance is not going to be doing much more than 30 on any sort of incline.

Whilst not that clever if he had properly working lights and towing mirrors I think he would have been legal based on the following:

- Trailer widths for cars are now the same as HGV in the UK

- 20ft trailer length within legal length

- Trailer would have been under the 3500kg payload assuming empty (have to assume it was)

- It was an A road not a motorway so no restrictions on slow moving vehicles provided they have appropriate warning lights

- UK licenses have changed now so if you have a car license you can tow 3500kg providing the vehicle/trailer combination is suitable

He just needs to wind the boost up, get a bigger intercooler and play with his fuel pump 😀

In general, 20 Ft. Boxcontainers are anything between 2.080 and 2.570 kgs. depending on condition, repairs etc.

Most are 2.50 mtrs. wide

His lack of speed will have triggers the people in blue to go and have a look.

Once there, they may have found a few issues like mirrors etc. too long overhang relativ to the axles etc.

Also, not all 3-axles trailers are 3.5 tonnes.

Nor are all 90's rated to tow 3.5 tonnes.

But as usual with media, most info is missing...

• Like 1

I also saw this and couldn't quite work out what the problem was. I agree it does look marginal but unless there's more to it I can't see a legal issue. I've towed 3.5t on several occasions with a 200tdi, yes it struggles on hills otherwise though it's fine. I can only assume it was a long hill hence the low speed.

Mike

50 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

So the consensus is he should've bought a V8 but otherwise OK? :lol:

I too did the maths on this as I was considering buying a container myself. I have two 3.5 tonne trailers and a TDV8 Range Rover Sport to tow with and the numbers worked on paper so I too agree the set up was legal assuming the lights worked, extending mirrors in place and the 90 could tow 3.5t