Electric Steering

Cornish Rattler

Hi guys

Has anyone fitted electric steering to a series landy i've been watching some video's on youtube where the Easy Steering system was fitted to a Rover P4 4 cylinder car which seemed to work very well but obviously the rover p4 is different to a landy and trying in my head to get round the steering box on the landy in my head i'm thinking a rod with a nuckle joint at either end and what steering column to use.

Anyone fitted electric steering one here for idea's please 🙂

Not on a LR, but got a Unimog here with it fitted. Electric column is off a BMW but I cant remember what model. 

Corsa C or Combo C column is what you want. Cheap and easy to wire up, but make sure you get the wiring plugs and some wires to extend. This is what is used on a lot of kit cars.

However, I don't know whether your existing steering wheel could be made to fit. A minor problem though 

2 hours ago, Daan said:

Yes i quite like this one but think Jake Wright fits it and not sure it you can buy it to fit yourself but if its cheap enough its probably worth having them do it.

Doesn't say Series 1 but as 86" dash is similar to Series 2 it may well fit as well?

It has been said on here before, if sold professionally then they need to ensure quality for safety and liability so it will always be much more expensive.

Might be worth giving Roger Hicks a call at Power Steering Solutions - https://www.facebook.com/electricpowersteering/. He's fitted many systems and sold thousands (I should know because we build the controllers for him :blush:).

If you wanted to get really fancy we do a remote control version of it used quite extensively in the film industry.

[edit]We do the electroncis bit of it but Roger does a lot of fabrication etc., to install them into the vehicles[/edit]

I think the Jake Wright installation is over 3K fitted, not sure if you get a new steering box for that or they fit to your existing one.

On 2/14/2022 at 10:49 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

Bet that costs more than the £50 for an old EPAS column off eBay :lol:

Unfortunately cost have gone through the roof for these.

This Corsa EPAS for my Series conversion cost three times that, forgot to mention, loads of garage time as well.

IMGP6627.thumb.JPG.b512395e39bef21947a1f25c4a9f53e5.JPG

The Corsa steering racks are becoming more and more difficult to source. The main benefit they have is that they don't have a huge number of safety features built into them which makes them easy to drive.

I am supposed to be looking into building a custom motor driver to replace the Corsa steering controller when I have time...

They're not particularly cheap, but we're using these at work.  They have an option to make the steering fully radio controlled.  Plenty of ways to do it, but these provide bags of torque and work out of the box.

https://www.dcemotorsport.com/

Their main business is EPAS - but are one of only one or two that are fully customisable.