Applying to COTAG - advised to sort out underbody protection.

8 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Just my 2p's worth but that bumper is a big ugly pile of stuff and £750 feels like a pile of cash that could go a looong way on far more useful mods.

Upon closer inspection it also looks a tad flimsy by comparison to ARB. I'll save my monies.

13 hours ago, PolarBlair said:

Upon closer inspection it also looks a tad flimsy by comparison to ARB. I'll save my monies.

Many supertankers are flimsy on that comparison... ARB are designed to plough errant wildlife off the road in the outback and I'm sure they're good at it, but over here they are just huge lumps of unnecessary metal. Unlike regular bullbars which are smaller lumps of unnecessary metal :ph34r:

In 20+ years off-roading I've cracked a front light lens on a tree once, maybe twice, replacement costs about a fiver, and the vehicle works perfectly fine with a cracked lens or dented wing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Many supertankers are flimsy on that comparison... ARB are designed to plough errant wildlife off the road in the outback and I'm sure they're good at it, but over here they are just huge lumps of unnecessary metal. Unlike regular bullbars which are smaller lumps of unnecessary metal :ph34r:

In 20+ years off-roading I've cracked a front light lens on a tree once, maybe twice, replacement costs about a fiver, and the vehicle works perfectly fine with a cracked lens or dented wing.

Different people and different vehicle use come to different opinions.

On my 90 I love my ARB bumper, it is a place to fit the winch and the spotlights, protects the wings from damage from muntjac and other wildlife plus the odd branch and I think looks great. It is not used for winch competitions so the very slightly reduced approach angle is not important. It is used off road a lot but more tracks and fields with trailers on and the bumper is there to protect it from dents and scrapes which I care about on that truck.

On the winch comp 90 there is just a centre winch mount, the wings are the angled challenge type. It is built for maximum approach angles and when it gets bent and dented I knock it out with a sledge hammer. Does it look pretty? No. Does it do the job it is intended for? Yes. I wouldn't have challenge wings on my daily 90 anymore than I would have an ARB bumper on the challenge truck.

If you want an ARB on your Defender then go for it. Have to spend your money on something and it can be on whatever you fancy

I didn't think the bumper would become the most contentious issue! :blush:

But for me, if it can do anything to help with the herds of suicidal deer I'm up for it. Getting to and from my house involves a jaunt through a wooded danger zone.

adLpKr9_700b.thumb.jpg.85521a8647b5ef923e6470a2d87fc642.jpg

I love the wee buggers. We've rewilded our garden and apart from a few access paths cut through the tall stuff it's a haven for them. You can see where they've bedded down for the night by the flattened grass.

But my love has limits. Bambi's mums face is my crumple zone. I will still do everything in my power to avoid it but in the wooded areas around me you have to have your head on a swivel to catch one before they bounce right in your path.

The ARB bull bar is just for the day when I'm not being a lert. We always need more lerts.

So  completely accept this will be a compromise. But then, this ain't a challenge truck.

Tell you what would be mega - rubber sleeve/cover like on the defender A-bar so you can give things a wee push. Just for those times you can't get round the side to tow.

But loving the feedback - keep it coming. None of my hard earned pennies are getting spent until application has been approved and I've been out for a few training days to figure out what really needs doing. After all - still need some dollar bucks in reserve for the camping gear so the missus doesn't have an aneurysm.

"There you go me lovely, just how you like it."

"Why is my morning coffee black??"

"Spent cooler/fridge money."

"....................... *calculating disproportionate response* "

"But babe, sugar , honey, darling, it's a 17,000lbs winch! Quit hitting me!

Let me show you its features, and afterwards I'm sure we will all agree I made the right call."

Poor girl. But she new what I was when she married me. So really it's her fault. Course we all know telling them to calm down fixes everything instantly.

On 2/23/2022 at 5:20 PM, PolarBlair said:

Bambi's mums face is my crumple zone. 

New tattoo idea?

Re COTAG, do they not not also ask for Advanced Driver training? I fancied joining a while ago but was put off by their requirements.

Yes, I saw that, we've plans. Sadness. Tempted to rent a stall at the next Malvern sort out and sell some surplus stuff. I need the space.

The trick will be avoiding buying new junk to replace the old junk.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 7:37 PM, paime said:

New tattoo idea?

Re COTAG, do they not not also ask for Advanced Driver training? I fancied joining a while ago but was put off by their requirements.

It's not a strict requirement to join no. It is however encouraged. That's my understanding after discussing my application with COTAGs Chairman Les Forbes. Same goes for the advanced off road driving. I'm not 100% about which parts are required in order to go on call-outs.

They may for instance require that 1st aid at work is in place. But nothing on that list needs to be in place before applying and before attending one of their regular off road training days including the radio licence.

As they provide a lot of the kit, they do want applicants to have demonstrated a reasonable level of commitment.

Best thing to do would probably be noting interest on their online web-form. Les got in touch with me a few days later by phone and explained the process.

17 hours ago, Happyoldgit said:

If deer are that much of a problem, as they are not far from here, then slowing down a tad can be helpful.

It's definitely belt and braces but I would hasten to point out that I was not the last offender in that regard. I'm also not the only driver on the insurance - if you get what I mean.

IMG-20220301-WA0002.thumb.jpeg.6e85f6a7f5946067b2f39db7fff1e391.jpegIMG-20220301-WA0000.thumb.jpeg.4b908004d67a22a93055d83f5d74f038.jpegIMG-20220301-WA0004.thumb.jpeg.3784031b7290e125cb2867add764949e.jpegIMG-20220301-WA0006.thumb.jpeg.9d41895b895ce4644ca4225c2ac8e365.jpeg

Keeping an eye out for good deals. Because of the rollcage, a safari snorkel won't fit. Spied this genuinely brand spankers Southdown snorkel kit for £100. Too good to pass up and came with a 300tdi wader kit. Most of those bits I'm hoping to recycle and use on my TD5 with the addition of some of those brass 90 degree fittings from Gwyn Lewis.

Still keeping an eye out for a QT front diff guard. On closer inspection noticed mine already has dents in it. Wisnae me!