Sloppy panhard rod...

Last year I changed the panhard rod bushes and bolts on the 110 as the chassis end one had some slop in it which was causing a rather nasty wheel wobble. After that all was good with the world, the birds sang and world peace ensued.

Sadly it wasn't to last, the slop in the chassis end bush has returned, along with the wheel wobble :( I do very low mileage in the 110 nowadays and the only off roading has been a few farm tracks since the bushes were changed. I has a quick go at tightening the bolt to extra FT and the slop remained right up to the point that I stripped the threads out of the nut.

So any bright ideas? Do I just resolve to change the bushes every thousand miles or so? That could get boring quite quickly.

I assume I can't just change to the newer bushes and the M16 bolts? Would that need a new panhard rod? Could I fit them to the old axle/chassis if I drilled the holes to M16?

Just now, CwazyWabbit said:

Is it as simple as that? I've looked back through to when I bought them and I think they might have been allmakes ...... 

Could be that simple, one thing that has come through on this forum is that genuine bushes are very good regards Stephen

12 minutes ago, Mo Murphy said:

Are your Radius arm eye bushes shot ?

Just thinking that worn bushes there could allow side to side movement that is knocking out the panhard bush.

Mo

I'll give them a check, I guess a wiggle with the crow bar should tell me what I need to know. Perhaps it's time to freshen up all the bushes.

6 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

Are your Radius arm eye bushes shot ?

Just thinking that worn bushes there could allow side to side movement that is knocking out the panhard bush.

Mo

Radius arms provide little lateral restraint in the scheme of suspension links, hence why the Panhard rod is required.

Totally agree about Genuine Bushes - they last a very long time. 

My other thought, which has happened on a couple of vehicles, is the holes in the clevises at either end of the panhard rod have become oval / slotted.  Easiest answer is to weld a thick washer on either side. 

Si

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got the time to go have another look at them, I also have some fresh bolts and bushes from The X-Mod here. Visually there is nothing wrong with the old bush 😕
How is the inner sleeve of the bush supposed to be gripped when these are fitted? Is it just the tolerance of the bolt in the inner sleeve, or is it the clamping effect of the chassis mount clamping the ends of the inner sleeve?

The chassis mount is as you know a hefty forged piece and mine has been worn by the ends of the bush moving against it hence even trying to tighten FT doesn't clamp the inner sleeve properly :( I assume this is what is causing my slop.

20220327_133848.jpg

20220327_133915.jpg

The inner sleeve of the bush needs to be firmly held still between the mounts, there should be no movement at all relative to the mount and bolt, with all the movement taken up in the rubber itself. If there is any movement then it rapidly wears the mount.

That’s exactly what has happened I would say. Once the bracket is worn then you will always have problems achieving the necessary clamping force. I had this on mine years ago, swapping to another chassis mount solved it. I got one of eBay relatively cheaply.

• Thanks 1

Couldn't find a reasonably priced early one (only the later ones for the 16mm bolts) so a quick session with Mr TIG and the angry grinder returned this one to 'factory' spec.

It's tight enough now that I had to hammer the panhard rod into place and it would stay there without the bolt despite being parked on a side slope.  Fingers crossed this is the last time I have to do this for a long while.

• Like 1