O/T Wildlife in the workshop

steve b

I was moving some horse **** on the muck pile to try and keep it tidy (why cant these horsey women put it in a tidy neat pile?!) and something moved by my foot. It was a large grass snake. Made me jump until I realised what it was as it was so well camouflaged in the straw!

We get loads at work. Every temporary sign left on the verge for more than a few weeks in the spring. Ants nest under them, then along come the slow worms. I make a habit of moving them to better places, as most of the signs are dumped in the swathe, so get mangled 

6 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Had some bees nesting in the workshop for a while... they made a surprising racket! 

I have a similar issue. They are trying to nest above a frequently used doorway though. Any tips for moving them on without killing them? I hate killing bees. 

Even if the bee keepers don't want the swarm they can probable advise on a safe and humane way of moving it on.

I get the odd rat in the workshop, generally trap them outside, the joys of living in the countryside, I use live catch traps as I don't mind the mice and we get hedgehogs as well (was a bugger getting it back out the trap without hurting it when I caught one by accident!).

The rats soon become ex rats!.

IMG_0896.jpg.e126dbb0c93898f490bea1ecd5967758.jpg

Not sure if the neighbours cat counts as wild life but it comes in to visit now and then, I generally push it out as I don't want it to get hurt but cats just do what they want any way.

IMG_0398.jpg.9266836dec911beabaaa4976d3a668bf.jpg

Never had a slow worm in the workshop but plenty in the garden, odd grass snake as well, made me jump first time I saw one as I wasn't quite sure what it was, mostly they are small but had the odd bigger one, fortunately never had an adder, they are about in the area but not my garden so far.

• Like 2

Bats nested in my workshop roof during the 2 days I had some planks off over the door so I could put CCTV up there.

They're cool. But they're also protected and you have to wait for them to leave of their own accord. Which can be a bind. They make really creepy noises when they're roosting, but I didn't get bitten by a single mosquito working outside while they were there...

• Like 3

Not quite in the workshop but along with the wagtail on my engine I have a thankfully small wasps nest appeared in my lightweight and a blue tit nesting in my engine crane, picture has loaded upside down but if you enlarge it you can see her eyes popping up from rim of nest

20220518_125443.thumb.jpg.e447d76971128ae4809d720e36d283f1.jpg

20220518_125817.thumb.jpg.646726c786923761c3506de0b189363c.jpg

Regards Stephen 

The bats here live in the ivy covered Alder tree's at the rear boundary mostly . Always love seeing them after the sun goes down before full dark. 

Stephen  - that looks more like a hornet nest to me ? 

Blue tit in the engine crane boom , how lovely :).

Steve

Found more wildlife unintentionally today,  was moving a rotten stump that had had my anvil on when a few wild bees started flying around me, stump was split and falling apart, when I lifted it fell in two and bees comb fell out

Moved comb back into shelter and put some lino over the top in an effort to protect them from the elements 

Where the nest was, you can see the shredded wood

20220522_162429.thumb.jpg.2e154d11e35b1da8a33a13202bc1a274.jpg

My lino hut

20220522_162400.thumb.jpg.7e2b7c07a630acf7a927284786b00f3f.jpg

A picture of them building up shredded wood around the comb to protect it, probably only a dozen bees in total

20220522_162343.thumb.jpg.7bb6073139798b0d5f2eb7f473751e6d.jpg

I hate damaging bees regards Stephen 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1