Electric Fan Advice Please

3 hours ago, steve b said:

Are you going to use a push fan from a standard car type application ? They are generally much more powerful than aftermarket add-on's , and often very compact. 

Steve 

I had been looking at Spal fans … how would I find an OEM one?

I wouldn’t have a clue what car has the right size, push, and with fastenings I can re-use!

Round here I'd suggest one of the pick-a-part type scrap yards, but these days they're getting a bit thin on the ground. 

Other option might be to have a look over various friends cars and see what fans are fitted and if they're any good steal one while they're over for dinner order one - either scrappy one to get started or a new one.

Call your local auto salvage yard with your max height and width and see what they have , also most of us have cars and/or vans that we can measure so give us the dimensions as well 

Or ask stella-Stephen to have a root around his local scrappy:)

Capacity should be ok I would think .

The important thing is the correct cowl with it , almost as important as the fan itself 

Steve

Edited by steve b

On 6/10/2022 at 3:35 PM, Anderzander said:

Great input - thank you

I should have thought on it before I had the recent work done on the radiator.

It does have a drain fitting on it - 1/8” BSP and even with an adaptor I’m not sure I could make it work to fit a sender on it. 🤔

I looked at those - they say you can fit the sender in between the fins on the radiator, which would definitely be the easiest route. 
https://www.t7design.co.uk/davies-craig-digital-thermatic-fan-ewp-controller-5mm-probe-12v-0444.html
Not sure how I could get it to blend in with the 50’s look or hide it though ..

What’s tricky for me is that I’m using the series housing top .. so the bit ai have to drill and tap is small …

image.thumb.jpeg.bc767f3d9694b24ad8247dcfe664b5ad.jpeg

I could take the radiator out of mine again and get a fitting soldered on. 
Would you recommend any fittings ?

😱

Perhaps the saving grace is that it’s only become an issue when I’m off road at very slow speeds - no airflow and hot days. Any other circumstance and the needle never moves from 82° to 88°

I've done this to my last five land rovers and I've used  the standard European fit I use a single pole https://www.asap-supplies.com/products/kus-standard-earth-water-temperature-sender-120c-eu-1-2-14-bsp-ke00025

Any decent radiator company have a half inch brass fitment, but I always use Arrow or Sercs

I cant offhand think of any vehicles that have a pusher fan as standard nowadays. Only ones I can think of were 1970s BMWs, and I cant even remember the model.

I still have the fan from one of these which I used as an extractor fan in the garage for years when I was painting. Its so powerful it would probably pull the Landy along by itself ! New concept for an EV possibly ??

You can use any puller fan in front of the rad, but would have to be a bit inventive with mounting it the right way. I have got a couple of fans here from failed experiments that you could have, but you need to make or modify cowlings or brackets to suit, but hey ! Where is the satisfaction of taking something out of a box and fitting it in an hour ? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, miketomcat said:

Just remember to double check it's a push fan not a pull fan, no running it with reversed polarity does not work (well it does but nowhere near as well).

Mike

I bought a puller and fitted it behind the rad.  It transpired to be a pusher mislabelled on the assembly line in China and packaged in a puller box with puller instructions.  

I removed the fan and reversed its orientation on the motor shaft and then reversed the motor polarity.  Problem solved.  The biggest problem was in recognising the fault in the first place.

I agree with you, Mike - they will work to a degree with the polarity reversed, but will be hobbled if the camber or sweep of the blades is the wrong way.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 8:06 AM, miketomcat said:

Just remember to double check it's a push fan not a pull fan, no running it with reversed polarity does not work (well it does but nowhere near as well).

Mike

True, but it doesn't matter that much on the older fans with a simple blade design. I ran 2 auxiliary fans from a P38 with reversed polarity on my previous Esprit, to replace the 3 original fans (from a Fiesta). They seemed to do a better job at keeping things cool.

I have ADU8885, they are £1.95 each, supplied with 2 x AMP 'PosiLock' terminals to suit 0.5 - 1.0mm² cable (I can supply them with terminals for larger gauge cable if required).

1st class P&P is £1.65 for any quantity.

FYI -

Defender (300Tdi - TD5) AirCon Fan Switch Connector (C0848) is a yellow version of ADU8885

Defender (300Tdi - TD5) AirCon Clutch Switch Connector (C0847) is a green version of ADU8885

• Like 1