Reconditioned steering boxes

Im just going through that one myself, I got a 4 bolt off of a company called autosteer, in Chester, for 6 months was all perfect, then it all started to drift again, quite unnerving to say the least, there was a warranty on it, but I'd lost the receipt so I thought well that's that,never going to get a replacement, but to my surprise he actually honoured it, the new one is on but haven't tried it yet as my injection pump is in for repair,  I'm not saying he's tip top but least he had the decency to send a second one on

• Like 1

I had an Adwest, remanufactured box - which was about as perfect as it could be!

However, I've read that Adwest is now part of the Magal Group - so I've no idea what they'll be like now!

Still, if I needed one today - I would still buy one.  There are several retailers apparently offering Adwest Boxes.

3 hours ago, simonr said:

I had an Adwest, remanufactured box - which was about as perfect as it could be!

However, I've read that Adwest is now part of the Magal Group - so I've no idea what they'll be like now!

Still, if I needed one today - I would still buy one.  There are several retailers apparently offering Adwest Boxes.

Magal bought Adwest as you say. I bought a new box from Magal around 2015 but I beleive they stopped selling direct a year or so later. I dont think they make them at all now and likewise, I dont think they recondition/remanufacture them either. Paddocks had stock of new boxes but were at least twice what I paid Magal when I bought mine - I think this coincided with them ceasing making them.

17 minutes ago, Nonimouse said:

I thought you were in the home counties, not Ralphs neck of the woods

I'm mainly in Cornwall now but still work up in Herts. Covid did wonders for home working and has made life a lot easier!

Edited by reb78
  • Like 1

Interesting place Callington. I did the landscaping for the World Heritage Status grants, back in 2000. Locals were still eating their firstborn...raw. I hear it's improved a bit since then. Nothing as scarey as Indian Queens, or Lord Forbid, Cambourne.

I'm down to Penzance a fair bit, but with my new oppo starting soon, that will stop. I'll only go as far as Exeter then, except for special problems

• Confused 1

Leaks and bearings are easy enough to fix. Check out Mike's series of videos here:

I followed this approach to replace the seals last year, think they were about £30. For my own records I keep my pics here if you want to see how Mr Gumby did it:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=pfbid0c7a9rJJ2DnK2Yf4WCdu3iqz8wLDQxcHYKzhjWpArMj88x4WF5WYbam4E7UD7V2HCl&id=169579534683439

Once set up and understanding what you're doing it'll be done in an afternoon. And you'll know it's been done properly....

P.S: We only eat the firstborn when the pasties have run out

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

Interesting place Callington. I did the landscaping for the World Heritage Status grants, back in 2000. Locals were still eating their firstborn...raw. I hear it's improved a bit since then. Nothing as scarey as Indian Queens, or Lord Forbid, Cambourne.

I'm down to Penzance a fair bit, but with my new oppo starting soon, that will stop. I'll only go as far as Exeter then, except for special problems

Haha. We are five mins from Callington but we live out in the countryside and are nicely isolated from society! :) Callington isnt so bad - it has a brilliant pasty shop and a DIY store that is like Aladdin's cave - they have everything and if it isnt on display you walk for what seems like hours in this tardis of a shop to a back room somewhere thats like the scene out of the four candles sketch. I walk to Devon to go to the pub though :) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

I used to be based at Culdrose and passed through Indian Queens on my way home and back regularly. It was a sign of the changing times that after a while I could ride my  motorbike through without people stopping and pointing... or chasing me with pitchforks shouting something about witchcraft.

Yeovilton was better, though it's a dead heat between Spingo from Helston and Scrumpy from local farms as to the ferocity of the hangover.

(Still love Cornwall though)

44 minutes ago, reb78 said:

DIY store that is like Aladdin's cave - they have everything and if it isnt on display you walk for what seems like hours in this tardis of a shop to a back room somewhere thats like the scene out of the four candles sketch. 

I love places like that. There's one on Somerton, called Overt and Locke. You don't ask 'have you' , just 'where is'. They even test light bulbs before they sell them.  I found a place like that in Knighton, earlier this year, called Prince and Pugh's. I was looking for lamp oil. Chap asked me 'what make and what quantity'...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I used to use these guys for my steering boxes - https://www.dasteeringltd.co.uk/services/steering-boxes/

In central Birmingham, most of the reconditioned boxes you get from the main resellers come from them. If you can take your old box in they will sort you a replacement out at a good price.  Used thier boxes in my own cars for a couple of years with no problems. 

1 hour ago, Phill B said:

Mine was leaking from the bottom seal. I put some Wynns Automatic transmission & Power steering stop leak and conditioner in and it stopped leaking.

Good stuff if you want to kick that can down the road and get more life out of it.

Might put that in as a preventative measure when I change the seal in mine. Currently it is coming out of the bottom nearly as quick as you pour it in the top!