Rear winch directly on cross member?

henk

20 hours ago, landroversforever said:

I can't see an issue assuming you're meaning it being mounted to the inside of the crossmember? So any loading on the mounting is in compression? 

No, not in compression and that is my dilemma. It would be mounted feet to the rear and when pulling all forces will go to the 4 bolts.

I will try to make a picture

If you use high strenght bolts, those will be able to take the strain. The load will be divided more evenly over the 4 bolts than when mounting the winch feet down as the wire will always be between the 4 bolts and not some distance above. You do need to make sure the mounting on the crossmember is up to it, for example by using crush tubes inside and a plate to spread the load at the opposite side. 

Have you made sure when mounting feet forward the rope wont rub on the tie bars?

21 minutes ago, steve b said:

I'd say not a good idea. All the tension load will be through the Aluminium(?) winch end plate foot slots which is not how they are intended to be installed.

Should only be in compression or shear.

Steve 

Beat me to it. I don't think the mounting lugs on the winch would be up to loads in that way. Aluminium isn't great in tension.

But they will be loaded in tension in the standard position as well: with the cable some distance above the bolts, there will be a torque trying to twist the winch forward. So the front bolts will be loaded in shear, the front feet in compression and the rear bolts in shear and tension. I've had a winchbumper twist in this way while recovering a G-wagon. Afterward the bumper was reinforced with a piece of angle iron to take the load.

I have always thought that placing a winch on the rear crossmember would be a bit annoying in everyday use? -needing to reach over it with groceries and what nor.

I have therefore placed my rearwinch in the "back" (actually the front vehicle wise) of the loadbay on a couple of angleirons welded to the a-frame crossmember. The wire was ment to go over a roller attached in the holes for the nonexisting boge, go under the floor and exit on top of the rear crossmember between the crossmember and the door/tailgate in a rope kind of fairlead... the winch is mounted this way, but somebody ran into time constraints at the time (only some 15 years ago...😇) and the wire OVER the floor (under a wiremesh though) and exits IN the tailgate and has done ever since... you know things that work and so on... the great thing about the mount is, that I can reach the freespool from the drivers seat, it wont get dragged through/filled with mud and theorethically less in the way, and rolls in perfekt with no bundling. 

I still find the mount better that the ones I have seen on/in the rear crossmember... but ought to get it finished 🤣

/mads