v8 engine orientation in chassis?

twodoorgaz

20 hours ago, twodoorgaz said:

I'll have a look into it. Even bypassing the universal ones, it does seem that custom ones from similar companies are coming in at about half the price.

I might take a leaf out of the Retropower book and make one out of cardboard and toilet roll tubes complete with flanges so I can physically bolt it in to trial it before sending it off to be made in aluminium. It would be nice to have the upper surface bead rolled to match the pressings in the original brass item, if I find a friendly manufacturer then I could do the rolls or pressings in some blanks and supply them to be included.

2.5 VM diesel rad form out of an RRC. Similar area to a 200tdi, but in standard form a third more volume and room to fit two (!) more rows

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

2.5 VM diesel rad form out of an RRC. Similar area to a 200tdi, but in standard form a third more volume and room to fit two (!) more rows

RR rad will be too wide for a Series conversion but Defender ones fit, depending on if there's a PAS box to clear or not.

This is mine - custom all-copper/brass one using earthmover core (very open / wide spaced fins) cooling a 4.6 V8 with no issues:

radnfans.jpg

Saab fans via a two-speed relay.

On 2/25/2023 at 12:04 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

RR rad will be too wide for a Series conversion but Defender ones fit, depending on if there's a PAS box to clear or not.

This is mine - custom all-copper/brass one using earthmover core (very open / wide spaced fins) cooling a 4.6 V8 with no issues:

radnfans.jpg

Saab fans via a two-speed relay.

Ahh, yes, normally, but you forget that the rad is narower for the Intercooler to run by the side of it. Even a 200 or 300 rad would be suitable for this application. But I think the 200 inlet and outlet are in a better position.... and again easy to fit two more rows

On 2/24/2023 at 7:56 AM, Bigj66 said:

My Thor V8 sits nose up by 6 degrees if memory serves and slightly offset whilst being as far forward as possible to allow the fitting of the ZF auto.

The gearbox will dictate the engine position as that needs to be in the correct place for the rest of the drive train and things like gear levers etc.

I used EFi manifolds and a stumpy oil filter to clear the axle along with a TDi aluminium radiator.

2FB7BACB-D6E3-4363-AEF0-B46211565647.thumb.jpeg.85bfecef27d0b14969f3079e6cd28d79.jpeg

43AFD68E-CEDD-4AB0-9845-419F6B67D988.thumb.jpeg.d6063cfa35740ff2385c045c47064ddc.jpeg

@Bigj66 Remind me, did you paint the gearbox? 

• 4 months later...

Oh man I went through so much emotion arriving at this same dilemma, feel obliged to contribute;

gems 4.6 into an 80”, those triangular thru-bolt box mounts from the 80’s RRC/90/110 (I think) wouldn’t seem to line the box up parallel with the v8 on welded in d90 v8 mounts…(?)

just bought a 300tdi xmember type box mount to hopefully sort it, though I don’t believe the offsets are different, it’s just single handedly doing it struggled to position it. 

hope I can contribute with some good install photos here once it’s sorted. Just await my pro mig welding friend to complete the mounts then it’s tranny time lol

Note how forward it is in the bay with stumpy LT77/230 & milner adapter, rear prop is micro

IMG_0581.jpeg

IMG_0550.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigj66 said:

How is your oil filter clearance to the axle or are you using a remote?

I actually bought a really dumpy blue one exactly like you showed in your thread!

I am building more of an on-road vintage style hot rod themed build so I will limit suspension travel if required due to clearance issues (extend bump stops etc)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hario' said:

I want to make a build thread but scared of potential abuse 

Must echo what @FridgeFreezer said no abuse on here for a build thread, building and fabrication  of any type is accepted, any criticism is always constructive and usually to suggest a better or easier route, it's not all die hard rivet counting landrover, look at @FridgeFreezer 109 build thread using volvo portal axles

The  top and the bottom of it is we love build threads no matter how diverse they are

Regards Stephen 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Why on earth would anyone abuse you for starting a build thread?

Let's see it!

What he said!

Everyone has been very kind about the rubbish I've posted over the years 🤣

• Like 1

I have 154 pages of my drivel which in addition to getting valuable feedback and advice off the chaps, also serves as a record in case I forget how I did something.

Which happens quite often…… 😬

Fear not and get it started 👍

• Like 2

As above, get the thread started, you're far more likely to get valuable technical advice than abuse. And reading about other people's projects taking ages can help as a motivation as well. 😉 Mine is going on for 4 years now, still haven't started the engine. Soon, hopefully!

Also, with those few teaser pics we're all curious about the rest!

• Like 1

Yep. Build thread please. Can't be worse than my most recent welding. Don't know what's wrong, but I can't weld for toffee these days.

• Like 1

Haha well noted gents thanks and I shall.

just trying to split the 77 & 230 single handedly on the deck to change the in/out seals so I can final bolt them together and not remove them once installed, before any real progress worth photographing happens 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Are you suggesting that my classic restoration is somehow not completely original? :rtfm:

A play of my words you scoundrel, that is not the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth..........lol?

Regards Stephen