Tyres (this can only go well)

vulcan bomber

On 4/16/2023 at 8:29 PM, RedLineMike said:

I've found the toyos quieter than the bfg, but they do have stiff sidewalls

So far for the 30 miles I've done I do like them, about to do the nc500 in 2 weeks so can report back after that 🤣

Not bad on the road. But more of an AT in the mud IMO. Not run the 255’s but the 235’s. 

On 4/15/2023 at 6:00 PM, vulcan bomber said:

So, My 110 needs new tyres, Ive just worn out a set of Cooper STT muds, i've been very happy with them and the plan was to just replace them with a set of the newer Cooper STT pro Muds but given there around £220 a corner Ive had a bit of a look around. At around £125 a corner are the Radar Renegade R/T muds, they look the part but has anyone any experiance of these? Any others worth looking at? (not BFGs!!!!)

Toyos seem a good price:

https://tyresdirectuk.co.uk/products/255-85r16-119p-toyo-open-country-m-t?taxon_id=8

But as said, I’d treat them more as an aggressive All Terrain than an MT. 

Sometimes get a Maxxis tyre in this size too. But can’t see any at the mo. 

I’ve found the 255/85 to be taller than a 285/75. Might need a small lift to ensure they don’t rub. 285 is wide and likely stick out of standard wheel arches. 

But a few offerings cheaper than the KM3’s

https://tyresdirectuk.co.uk/t/tyres?utf8=✓&per_page=&search[tyre_width][]=285&search[tyre_profile][]=75&search[tyre_diameter][]=16#searchResults

• Like 1

On 4/19/2023 at 9:07 PM, Chicken Drumstick said:

Toyos seem a good price:

https://tyresdirectuk.co.uk/products/255-85r16-119p-toyo-open-country-m-t?taxon_id=8

But as said, I’d treat them more as an aggressive All Terrain than an MT. 

Sometimes get a Maxxis tyre in this size too. But can’t see any at the mo. 

I’ve found the 255/85 to be taller than a 285/75. Might need a small lift to ensure they don’t rub. 285 is wide and likely stick out of standard wheel arches. 

But a few offerings cheaper than the KM3’s

https://tyresdirectuk.co.uk/t/tyres?utf8=✓&per_page=&search[tyre_width][]=285&search[tyre_profile][]=75&search[tyre_diameter][]=16#searchResults

The 110 is lifted and I've currently got 285s under the standard arches. 

• 4 weeks later...

I am currently having the tyre dilemma at the moment. Taking off a pretty ancient set of grabber at2s torn between replacing with a MT ( the ones ive been looking at are the Falken, Toyo, Hankook, wrangler) or perhaps something like the Yokohama X-AT G016 which looks like a middle ground between an AT and an MT. 

Sticking to standard 235/85/16. Have to get up a steep hill and track that drifts in when it snows (no option success or walk), reasonable frequency of trailers into fields. Any thoughts on options I'm missing (not willing to remove limbs to fund BFGs).

1 hour ago, Def Harry said:

I am currently having the tyre dilemma at the moment. Taking off a pretty ancient set of grabber at2s torn between replacing with a MT ( the ones ive been looking at are the Falken, Toyo, Hankook, wrangler) or perhaps something like the Yokohama X-AT G016 which looks like a middle ground between an AT and an MT. 

Sticking to standard 235/85/16. Have to get up a steep hill and track that drifts in when it snows (no option success or walk), reasonable frequency of trailers into fields. Any thoughts on options I'm missing (not willing to remove limbs to fund BFGs).

Not sure what part of the country/world you are in. In my experience I’ve found MT’s better than AT’s in deeper and fresh snow. Compacted snow and ice might be different and favour the AT with more sipes. 

On road. I have some General Grabber X3’s. They are for all intensive purposes just as nice as any AT I’ve used. For an unrefined vehicle a good quality MT should be more than suitable. And in some parts of the World vehicles come with MT’s direct from the factory. 

That said. I run some Maxxis Wormdrive AT’s on another 90 and my Jimny. Very good on road and better in the mud than expected. But I found them less good in the snow compared to some MT’s I’ve run. 

9 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

Not sure what part of the country/world you are in. In my experience I’ve found MT’s better than AT’s in deeper and fresh snow. Compacted snow and ice might be different and favour the AT with more sipes. 

On road. I have some General Grabber X3’s. They are for all intensive purposes just as nice as any AT I’ve used. For an unrefined vehicle a good quality MT should be more than suitable. And in some parts of the World vehicles come with MT’s direct from the factory. 

That said. I run some Maxxis Wormdrive AT’s on another 90 and my Jimny. Very good on road and better in the mud than expected. But I found them less good in the snow compared to some MT’s I’ve run. 

North Yorks, for the last good few years snow hasn't been much of a consideration for me but this was the first winter with my sheep on some ground a couple of miles away but 500ft up from our house. It's not a frequent issue there were 5 bad days this year, I was told that it can be pretty dicey up there but it was a bit more sporty than I was expecting. It's the perfect situation of a track in a dip and large open fields.

But then it's not most of the year! I think I'm leaning towards muds I only do a couple of long motorway journeys a year the rest is shorter local journeys so many of the shortcomings won't be that noticeable. 

4 hours ago, Def Harry said:

North Yorks, for the last good few years snow hasn't been much of a consideration for me but this was the first winter with my sheep on some ground a couple of miles away but 500ft up from our house. It's not a frequent issue there were 5 bad days this year, I was told that it can be pretty dicey up there but it was a bit more sporty than I was expecting. It's the perfect situation of a track in a dip and large open fields.

But then it's not most of the year! I think I'm leaning towards muds I only do a couple of long motorway journeys a year the rest is shorter local journeys so many of the shortcomings won't be that noticeable. 

I'd have thought something like this would be a pretty good all rounder.

https://tyresdirectuk.co.uk/products/lt235-85r16-120-116q-falken-wildpeak-mt?taxon_id=8

Quite like the look of these too.

https://tyresdirectuk.co.uk/products/235-85r16-120-116n-maxxis-bighorn-mt-764-bsw?taxon_id=8

If you can stretch to 255/85/16 it will help in the ruts/snow. Toyos or Falkens would be somewhere around where id be looking, you want that bit of extra snig over AT's when the trailers on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, muddy said:

If you can stretch to 255/85/16 it will help in the ruts/snow. Toyos or Falkens would be somewhere around where id be looking, you want that bit of extra snig over AT's when the trailers on.

I did think about it, but I'm already running a 1.2 tx box and I don't want to push the gearing up anymore. Manages quite happily currently with the remap. 

On 5/21/2023 at 9:27 AM, miketomcat said:

285/75x16 (33") do rub, but 255/85x16 (33") clear on modulars and on standard offset as far as I know.

Mike

You are probably right about the rims/offset. Not sure if we are talking 90 or 110 either. 

255/85 KM3’s on 8j one ton replica rims does rub. 

IMG_5179.thumb.jpeg.1988efc7a30294fc25d89f3d2cfe7644.jpeg

And 33.10.50R15’s (slightly wider and shorter) also on 8 j rims also rubs.

IMG_7874.jpeg