Ibex IVA Help Needed

Evening all,

I have my IVA retest booked for Friday morning.  One of my fails was the speedo under reading by a little over 10%.  I'm using a TD5 speedo which works fine.  So as it's electronic I bought myself a Speedo Healer, a little box of electrickery which adjusts the pulse count.  Unfortunately I can't get it to work, it plugs into the loom so I can swap it out.  Speedo works fine without it, when Plug it in the unit turns on and I can set the correction factor but the speedo either doesn't read it or the unit isn't putting out a signal and I don't have the kit to check the output.

I'm running a set of 255 85 16s and I've now fitted a blue (20 tooth) speedo drive gear in place of the brown 22 tooth one.  By my reconning using the sat nav as a reference I'm within about 1mph of truespeed but still under reading which isn't allowed😩.

Does anyone have experience setting up speedo healer and have any advice.

Alternatively is there anyone around Somerset who's got a spare set of defender wheels with smaller tyres on them?  I recon Defender standard 235 85 16 should get me legal - just need then for Friday morning 26-05.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_5578.thumb.jpeg.b59c8727dba6845281579a79aff4718e.jpeg

IMG_5581.thumb.jpeg.5a007f0e9b274d7baffa17da4b6ec2cd.jpeg

IMG_5585.thumb.jpeg.ff1e9d292c687424c8d5ca86ec2189ba.jpeg

IMG_5591.thumb.jpeg.10384559bb8d957786bd1f2b307105e4.jpeg

IMG_5847.thumb.jpeg.5e263a9462fdb94675400e99e1258d87.jpeg

@Ibex94, I have a set of 235/85s off little green thing you could borrow, and I'm only a few miles away....

They have a reasonable offset on the rims, but presume if you are covering the 255s you should be fine. 

Drop me a PM. 

Very tidy vehicle !

Well Done - looking forward to a build tread.

To overcome a problem like this we have used a VDO programmable speedo in the past. Run a measured mile and that's it - accurate. Change tires and reset the thing.

Sounds like a duff SH...

Bon Courage !

Would you like to borrow a Td5 speedo that gives a better reading? I could set speedo reading (and mileage if needed) and you'd have it on Wednesday. Or even Tuesday if I can find the programmer!

8 hours ago, miketomcat said:

It might pay to get the mods to change the thread title and or put a wanted up.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

TSD and Bowie 69 have responded so I think I should be ok now.

• Like 2

How did you fare with the retest - all OK, I hope. 

I’ve just seen the post and could have loaned some 235/85’s that have already served duty for my IVA test on the Tornado (passed on retest… whole different story!)

Cracking looking build…

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, LiftedDisco said:

My registration was back in just over a week - hopefully you are on the road by now…

They've had application 2 weeks now and I've heard nothing they haven't even cashed cheque yet.  Hopefully it'll come through this week, will keep you posted.

Mine took over a month in the end. They sent a letter after 3 weeks saying they wanted more info to give it an age related plate. The irony is I deliberately build it from two donors because I didn't want an age related plate, needless to say I wrote back saying just give me a Q that's what I want anyway. It arrived a week later.

Mike

• Like 1

5 hours ago, miketomcat said:

Mine took over a month in the end. They sent a letter after 3 weeks saying they wanted more info to give it an age related plate. The irony is I deliberately build it from two donors because I didn't want an age related plate, needless to say I wrote back saying just give me a Q that's what I want anyway. It arrived a week later.

Mike

I know the reasoning for you wanting the Q Mike, but with an age related one, are the 'locked' like a Q and unable to have a personalised plate? 

39 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

I know the reasoning for you wanting the Q Mike, but with an age related one, are the 'locked' like a Q and unable to have a personalised plate? 

I believe so, as far as in aware they're non transferable. Although I have heard if you build using new parts and get a new plate then you can.

Mike

I'll wait and see what the DVLA gods come up with.  It's frustrating as you don't even know its landed beyond being signed for on receipt.  To be honest I really don't care - just give me a friction registration I want to drive the damn truck.

• Like 1