VIN missing?

I recently bought a 1985 110 off eBay but the seller is taking his time getting the V5 to me , DVLA wanted pictures including the registration number , chassis VIN and VIN tag , the front dumb iron is a bit rusted and I can’t see any numbers, any idea how to expose the numbers? He says he’ll give me a refund if I / He can’t / don’t get the V5 ? 

How did you buy it without the V5?

Have you removed all the paint from the dumb iron? My vin number is very feint to where you have to be looking at it from the right direction to see it. After I had taken photos of it I painted over it to protect it and now you can't see it.  

“V5 available” in the listing, but it’s been a while since it arrived, I don’t think the seller is pulling a fast one as the VIN plate is there and looks like it’s not been interfered with, but if I can’t get the V5 I’ll send it back , 

I don't know? I'm letting the seller deal with the DVLA, who have asked for this information, it has not been on the road since 2011, below is a copy of the DVLA letter , I've covered the bit with his name and the registration number out of courtesy, he sent all the pictures except the chassis VIN, hence my original post, I have never had any problems with the V62 process before maybe they are still "working from home" ?

16854728240061917733978.jpg

Have you checked the reg number on the DVLA website ? Has it got a VIN plate riveted to the brake pedal box ?

I guess you didnt do a HPI check ? It might have a stolen, or write off marker on it.

I have never been asked for photos, bit unusual.

Yes to the pedal box plate and the chassis leg is just rusty no sign of any grinding or welding and guy seems genuine , got a copy of the DVLA letter I posted and an invoice from him with his address , if necessary I will get send the vehicle back and get a refund, I will have a go at cleaning up the area just wondered if there was any better way than the wire brush to bring the number out 

Go carefully when removing the rust to find the vin. It really is only lightly stamped so you don't want to damage or remove it. Take photos of the various stages of rust removal to use as evidence if required - you certainly don't want to be accused of removing the vin number yourself!!

• Like 1

Yep be real careful as above - I've had to do the same a few time on imports/exports and it's real easy to start removing the edge of the stamp and making it worse. I normally use a brass brush to scrub the loose rusty stuff, muck and paint from the number, then go over it lightly with a bit of spray paint till its uniform colour and your eye isn't distracted by the mottled surface, then usually with an angled torch shone across you'll start to pick out the number.  Even if you still can't quite make it out, take a photo with your phone and mess about with the contrast/light settings and you may find it starts to pop out just enough.

• Like 2

The chassis is the original chassis(not the one in the picture) I am sure from the state of it it’s not had any welding ever as it’s very rusted , if I can get the v5 I’ll get a galvanised chassis and just keep the bit with the old VIN on it as proof of identity , 

Welders etching fluid can bring out the serial number. You'd have to rub it down to bare metal. Even if the number is no longer there it can still show it.
Police also use it to show chassis and engine numbers ground off.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 92a said:

The chassis is the original chassis(not the one in the picture) I am sure from the state of it it’s not had any welding ever as it’s very rusted , if I can get the v5 I’ll get a galvanised chassis and just keep the bit with the old VIN on it as proof of identity , 

Exactly what I did nearly 10 years ago. 

10 hours ago, 92a said:

Blimey Mossberg , I cut up a better chassis than that last weekend 😢

C242FE46-5593-420A-BC40-9A68BC1D27DC.png

Surprisingly the main chassis rails seem to be OK in the main. I have replaced the bulkhead outriggers  - and these had already been replaced before, the rear outriggers as I wanted to fit rocksliders and the tube was too crusty, and the rear crossmember  - which had also been changed before  - I have now fitted a second hand galvanised one. 

I must admit I was surprised by the state of the dumbirons. I was dreading how far back the rot was going to go back but it didn't seem to go further than the front crossmember. Thankfully the top of the chassis rail seemed OK and I managed a repair from what I had in the garage (I do have quite a lot of box section in there!).

20220515_164537.thumb.jpg.a6d17c16efef7f700a784b51fcfd05da.jpg

20220517_161609.thumb.jpg.413fd0a05c18f1a89129f3d483f9a481.jpg