OT - "Vintage" Tractor Purchasing

ThreePointFive

19 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

Those 7000 series Ford’s seem to be in demand. 

Mmm a 7810 , one of the classic field accessories , @landroversforever you do not need any distractions :) . Of course I'm not saying don't buy whatever arrives in front of you as I would then be standing in a very fragile glass house haha 

@L19MUD I'm pleased to see the property renovation budget is diverse and a bit rusty.... I still have the perfect complement to the renovation fleet here when you're ready to take it over ;)

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Anderzander said:

So much to go at there - loving the updates, the progress and the pictures!

In no particular order :

The fields look a good size - as does the house ! 

I want a side shot flail for my 35. I started off thinking I’d get a basic flail, then thought I’d get a side shift one to do the verges and get into the bottom of the hedges, now I’m thinking one of those side shift, tilting flails - so I could also do the sides of the hedges and clean down into the dikes. It does mean putting a twin double acting spool on the 35, which I’ve seen for sale but not come across anyone who has seen one.

What do you use to clear the grass away when you’ve raked / rowed it up?

Any more pics of the bridge? what size pipe are you using in there? 

Yes please on a DB thread.

We have about three and a half acres, pictures make it look bigger as all taken from the edge!

I think a side one might be a bit of a problem for a 35 as it might have a tendency to tip to that side. I fitted double acting spools to the 165 using a kit from Agriline, the downside is that you either have linkage control or spool values. This is not a problem for me as I either use it fully to the right for cutting close to the hedges or the ditches or in the middle for the rest. If you have the type you are thinking about you might need to adjust more often? To change between at the side and in the middle I have to do this - Move detent selector lever to spools, change linkage position lever to constant pumping, activate spool to get where wanted, move linkage position back to cutting height, move detent selector lever back to linkage

I can take pictures of the setup if that helps

We used a 3 ton dumper and arm muscles for the grass, could have ideally used a telehandler and grain bucket but nothing was about. Not a job I will need to do in the future hopefully unless we  get a really wet spring and I can't get on there to cut it

The 'bridge' does not get much more exciting than that picture. Pipe was 6m of 300mm diameter. Easy enough to clean through 6m of that if you have to but unlikely to block in a fairly slow moving ditch for water. I just filled over the pipe with soil to the top of those sleepers, tracked it in then waited for it to sink and topped it up again. Had no issues going over with a 8 ton telehandler or the JCB

DB thread to appear later today hopefully

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, muddy said:

Sounds good. A thread on the 1490 would be good, you probably know but Jeremy Fearn now makes a lot of parts for the DB’s.

I’m just in the process of rejuvenating a Ford 7810 for a customer that is turning into a ‘fun’ job.

My Dexta is just about done now aswell.

I actually did not know that Jeremy Fearn was doing that now - had a look on the website and can see a few bits. Could be very useful thanks(Stainless straight pipe exhaust 🥰)

The hedge cutter I have bought came off a 7610. A Ford/JD of that size was way out of budget for me though unfortunately. I would have loved a Marshall 804 as my tractor career started with a Leyland 272 Synchro but all of those have gone up in price now too 

11 hours ago, steve b said:

@L19MUD I'm pleased to see the property renovation budget is diverse and a bit rusty.... I still have the perfect complement to the renovation fleet here when you're ready to take it over ;)

Steve

If I could have found a hedge cutter suitable for the MOG I would have been tempted this time! I just need to get my workshop planning sorted which is causing me issues.....DB is going to be joint with my old man so it can be stored there as will be needed to cut his verges more often than my hedges

14 hours ago, Happyoldgit said:

Is it a hydro or manual box?

I've got a 2WD hydro with loader that has not been used for three years sat outside here.

its a manual box - if It was a hydro I don't think I would have been interested. I'm not sure if the reputation they have is deserved though?

2 hours ago, L19MUD said:

its a manual box - if It was a hydro I don't think I would have been interested. I'm not sure if the reputation they have is deserved though?

Probably not, bit of black magic back in the day.

• Like 2

I dunno I have driven some woeful hydrashifts! I think the good ones were good but DB finicky hydraulics and the hydrashifts need for decent operation, correct adjustment and clean oil meant they soon became less than precise. Mr fearn now does a conversion to mount the lever infant of the side console that looks smart and gives a more positive operation.

My friend has a 1690 turbo to rebuild one day that's also a lovely sounding tractor but id say a Marshal 804 has to be in the top 3 sounding tractors ever made, a chap round here used one on a little baler in his shed to re-bale large rounds, the rrrrummm-cooo rrrrrummm-cooo was a pleasure to listen to as I waited for the tanker to fill from the lagoon opposite.

I'm in two minds with the 7810 I can see why there were well liked but on first impressions I just couldn't get the fizz for some reason, perhaps because its the wrong colour :ph34r:

@Anderzander I too think a folding flail and double acting spool would be a little much for the 135, you need another larger tractor with constant hydraulics at least, if not 2 more 🤣

@muddy and @L19MUD  They do small ones for compact tractors .. I think it would not manage those?

They have 1.45m cutting width and 1.25m - which weigh 330 and 260kg. 

One here behind a little Kubota:

https://www.flails.uk/products/winton-1-3m-heavy-duty-tractor-pto-verge-flail-mower-wvf130

Those B3030 compacts are only about 2/3 the weight of the 35. Similar horsepower mind 😂

The hydraulics would be a faff - but I’d put up with it (and presumably get used to it) if I could make it work. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

I edited, adding a bit, whilst you were replying. But you’ve put my mind at rest.. I’m not in the market for a new tractor and a divorce 😊

Come on, where is your sense of adventure? 🙂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Anderzander said:

@muddy and @L19MUD  They do small ones for compact tractors .. I think it would not manage those?

They have 1.45m cutting width and 1.25m - which weigh 330 and 260kg. 

One here behind a little Kubota:

https://www.flails.uk/products/winton-1-3m-heavy-duty-tractor-pto-verge-flail-mower-wvf130

Those B3030 compacts are only about 2/3 the weight of the 35. Similar horsepower mind 😂

The hydraulics would be a faff - but I’d put up with it (and presumably get used to it) if I could make it work. 

I run a simmilar one, albeit in a 2,2 meter version. My jd6400 is perfect on that one as It gets a bit sideheavy when fully extended sideways.

Being able to cut under low branches and not running in the grass before cutting is perfect. It is able to cut lower hedges but really not perfect for it (the branches gets pushed away and the cuts are really messy/untidy). It is not good at cutting downwards facing slopes (the piston length is limiting that) but not a big deal for me.

It is however perfect for cutting under fences when you get into the rythm for when to go in/out "on the go" around the fence posts 🙂 -It is perfect for rolling up the fence when you get out of said rythm as well 🙄

/mads

• Like 3

Keep the posts coming please guys. 🙂 I for one would love to read more about the revival of that David Brown.

We had a lead on a local DB (not sure of the type) a few weeks back, one that had been put aside some years ago with mechanical problems.  But the owner never followed up and we don't want to push him and come over as too eager, as that will only raise the price. A DB would half tick the Aston box on my list though, so I'd probably pay too much anyway. 😄 

• Haha 2