New steering box for defender: truwsteer

Daan

• 1 month later...

Just checked the lock to lock on the truw steer box and it's approx. 3 1/3 turns with a set of 33 12.5 15 tyres on. Don't know if my lock stops are adjusted or standard.  the box appeared a little stiff on tickover so maybe the pump on the 4.2 needs slightly more revs than the 300tdi  used to.

From the website...

"This is a direct replacement for all Adwest 4 bolts steering boxes as well as the earlier 3 Bolt and 6 Bolt steering boxes.

These do not come with drop arms so you will need to swap over your old one or fit a new one."

Which suggests the box will accept both 4 & 3 bolt Adwest and 6 bolt Gemmer drop arms.

This can't be the case though as Adwest and Gemmer drop arms are different, the spline patterns are similar but there is a difference in the taper.

Adwest/Gemmer arms will fit but work loose if fitted to the wrong box.

The fact they seem to be saying this box accepts either arm has alarm bells ringing for me.

Their suggested "new" replacement is just the Adwest arm.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

The 3 bolt is imperial so the pipework won't fit either. I think the mounting bolts are imperial too, but the chassis spacing and hole size is the same.

Mike

All correct, having swapped from 3 to 4 bolt on LGT it required new lines and to use the 4 bolt bolts. 

• Like 1

Weird timing. My steering box has just started leaking, as much as I'd love to be the guineapig that tries out one of these, they're extremely sus.

Think I'll look up my options getting a refurb done, cannot believe how expensive any of the options are though.

6 hours ago, Peaklander said:

I used D & A Steering in Birmingham for a refurb one and am very happy with it so far. I changed it in May and have done about 9K of very varied miles since.

Fancy telling us how much they charged?

The price for an exchange Adwest 4 bolt box with a new worm but without the drop-arm, was £468 delivered. I had to pay my own carriage to get the old one to Birmingham but it was cheaper than driving there.

I used D&A Steering following a recommendation on here from @Eightpot

On 11/8/2023 at 8:39 AM, Peaklander said:

I paid a total of £348 incl VAT and delivery.

£210 for the exchange

£114 for the new shaft option

£24 carriage

The surcharge was (an additional) £120 and was repaid within a few days of me sending the old unit to them.

I needed to keep my drop arm and paid Matt Savage some beer money to use his puller!

You said it on the other page of this thread 😄

I have the Gemmer box so fewer options for refurbished units but I have found a potentially new unit. Waiting to hear back from the seller.

I have just mounted the Truwsteer steering box on the road, the steering is light and precise but when stationary it is heavy, I have 33 11.50 tires which weigh 50 kg complete with rims. I haven't tried it off-road. As soon as I try I'll update the post.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Luca italy said:

I have just mounted the Truwsteer steering box on the road, the steering is light and precise but when stationary it is heavy, I have 33 11.50 tires which weigh 50 kg complete with rims. I haven't tried it off-road. As soon as I try I'll update the post.

Useful feed back! 

Out of interest, what wheels and tyres? My 37"x12.5" Maxxis on wolf wheels are only 57kg a corner! 

Didn't realise the taxi used the same box.... 1.5 turns may be a bit too fast for me. 

Have to admit, my quick ratio 4 bolt(2.5 turns I think) is lovely, driving any other LR feels soooooo slow. 

7 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Feedback utile! 

Per curiosità, quali ruote e pneumatici? I miei Maxxi da 37"x12,5" su ruote Wolf pesano solo 57 kg per curva! 

I have Zu Rims and retreaded tyre Trepador copy

The aluminum tube was placed for imitation. I had to disassemble it to insert the box. As seen in the photos the tube housing is closed. They must have placed the tube to prevent customers from thinking it was different from the original.

Classic Chinese attitude.

Let's hope it works for the long time because in Italy the original left-hand drive Adwest costs 2230 euros plus VAT

I think the reason why the steering is heavier is that before installing it I counted two rotations to the right and two to the left. With 360° + 360° you reach the maximum turn for each side.

How many rotations are required for the Adwest pump pump? 

Scatola 4 bulloni.png

IMG_20240111_125342.jpg

IMG_20240111_125330.jpg

IMG_20240111_125333.jpg

IMG_20240111_125339.jpg

9 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Didn't realise the taxi used the same box.... 1.5 turns may be a bit too fast for me. 

Have to admit, my quick ratio 4 bolt(2.5 turns I think) is lovely, driving any other LR feels soooooo slow. 

Yup. FX4

What was the 4 bolt quick ratio from?

1 hour ago, Nonimouse said:

Yup. FX4

What was the 4 bolt quick ratio from?

Direct from Adwest 10 years ago.... Beloved by the comp safari drivers, but ultimately slightly weaker than a stock 4 bolt, if rumours are found to be true. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Luca italy said:

The aluminum tube was placed for imitation. I had to disassemble it to insert the box. As seen in the photos the tube housing is closed. They must have placed the tube to prevent customers from thinking it was different from the original.

Classic Chinese attitude.

Let's hope it works for the long time because in Italy the original left-hand drive Adwest costs 2230 euros plus VAT

I think the reason why the steering is heavier is that before installing it I counted two rotations to the right and two to the left. With 360° + 360° you reach the maximum turn for each side.

How many rotations are required for the Adwest pump pump? 

Scatola 4 bulloni.png

IMG_20240111_125342.jpg

IMG_20240111_125330.jpg

IMG_20240111_125333.jpg

IMG_20240111_125339.jpg

It looks fairly well made from these pictures; thanks for posting.

On 1/8/2024 at 1:22 PM, mik711 said:

Just checked the lock to lock on the truw steer box and it's approx. 3 1/3 turns with a set of 33 12.5 15 tyres on. Don't know if my lock stops are adjusted or standard.  the box appeared a little stiff on tickover so maybe the pump on the 4.2 needs slightly more revs than the 300tdi  used to.

Thanks, Mik for posting this up.

Daan

• Like 1