4 Speed Auto 200Tdi

Hi All,

I recently purchased a bit of a project which was is a 1988 Land Rover 90 with a 200tdi auto. Since I’ve purchased I’ve had some 265/75/16’s put on the car as there were some huge off road tyres on the car upon purchase and the death wobble was real… 

The car was recently really struggling on the A Roads when after a small incline it would drop its speed from about 50mph to struggling at 40. I’m hoping this is the turbo just not getting enough boost to the engine as a worse case! The car has also had a full service, new water pump and I’ve just bought a turbo for the car as i said above, i think it’s on its way out, but I’m just wondering about the 4 speed auto box and what the best set up would be for the car with gearing, transfer box etc? I don’t want to put any stress on the engine when I have to do those longer trips on A roads, but at the moment it feels like I’m putting stress on the engine at 50-55mph. 

13 hours ago, Def88 said:

Hi All,

I recently purchased a bit of a project which was is a 1988 Land Rover 90 with a 200tdi auto. Since I’ve purchased I’ve had some 265/75/16’s put on the car as there were some huge off road tyres on the car upon purchase and the death wobble was real… 

The car was recently really struggling on the A Roads when after a small incline it would drop its speed from about 50mph to struggling at 40. I’m hoping this is the turbo just not getting enough boost to the engine as a worse case! The car has also had a full service, new water pump and I’ve just bought a turbo for the car as i said above, i think it’s on its way out, but I’m just wondering about the 4 speed auto box and what the best set up would be for the car with gearing, transfer box etc? I don’t want to put any stress on the engine when I have to do those longer trips on A roads, but at the moment it feels like I’m putting stress on the engine at 50-55mph. 

How have you determined the turbo is not boosting right? Did you check anything else? I'd have thought a "turbo on the way out" is somewhat unlikely and remote. 

200Tdi is a nice engine, but it will never be a rocket ship. The auto will generally reduce performance vs a manual.

Stock gearing is likely to work the best, but it will always be a trade off between acceleration and cruising rpms.

You can tweak the Tdi for more power, albeit at a result of more smoke and higher EGTs. But it would be handy to know what has or hasn't been done to the engine thus far.

Hi All,

thanks for the responses!

The turbo was checked by some classic car restorers down the road, they had a proper look at the turbo and there thoughts were it was shot as well as issues with the wastegate. I’m not expecting the car to fly, but it’s more about getting up to a half decent cruising speed (55-60max) and being able to stay there. As you say, I think the first thing I’ll have to check is the gearing and make sure that is pretty much standard as well as the engine is in as good a shape it can be. 

I will have a deeper dive into the engine and take some notes as the car was done by an enthusiast and hasn’t come with much paperwork as it’s a bit of a project.

Something about 4-gear ...

I put a 1.1 ratio LT230 in my 200 Tdi. Transmission is so long, that 5th gear is only usable from 80 km/h.

That means the car is running like a 4-gear in the countryside. Only on motorways 5th can be used.

But then I achive 110-120 km/h permanentely travel speed in a really silent car. And that was the reason to do it.

I never regret that, because 4 usable gears in the countryside is by far ok.

The gearbox is a normal LT77.

It is not recommendable for people who have to tow. Then the 1st is to long. But not for travel weight around 2.8 tons without towing.

Just for your interest.

Check the ratio of the transfer box - there should be a sticker with it on but the first part of the serial no. stamping will tell you via Ashcroft's site.

I would suggest a 1.410:1 (std. Defender) would be correct for those size tyres.

Is the kick-down cable fitted and correctly set ? 

A temporary boost gauge is easy to tee in the boost pipe at the turbo and an oil pressure gauge will show a reasonable indication of boost.

Steve

• Like 1

My Old girl would pull 70 no problem at all with a fair bit more to spare

1.4 Transfer box on 255/85

Alisport large intercooler, tweeked pump just diaphram and turned standard pin -

wastegate tweeked a tad tighter and boost referance taken direct from intake manifold to cover any losses in pipework Fed with 3 inch pipework

3.5 Diffs Ashcrofts

Kick down adjusted correctly ?

Are you running out of fuel ? - poor lift pump, blocked, pick up maybe, blocked air filter

Hi All,

I had someone put a turbo that they knew was in the car and there was a big difference. I’ve spoken to Ashcroft and they have recommend actually putting in a 1.4 T box as I have a 1.2 fitted and it feels like it’s labouring if I get towards the top of a steep hill on an A road.

Anyway, woke up this morning and the battery doesn’t have enough juice to turn over the engine, so I’ll get that recharged and have a go at running on some A Roads to see where we are. 

As it’s a 4 speed auto, it just feels like I need another gear when I get to about 55/60 . If Ashcroft are correct, with the 1.4 do you think this may solve the problem? Or add to it? I’m not really expecting to be on the outside lane of the motorway, but would just prefer not to be overtaken by a lorry up a hill

My 110 200 Tdi auto can reach just under 80 😱 (gps indicated) on good flat road, although it's happiest around 60-65.

1.4 T/box, 255/85s and a tweaked pump.

Without driving the vehicle it's impossible to know whether the op's problem is engine or transmission related.

I've found the kickdown setting is really important with the auto/tdi combo, and It's difficult to get a setting that suits all driving situations.

On 12/4/2023 at 8:30 PM, Def88 said:

and the death wobble was real… 

Just have to say - if it had death wobble on large tyres that doesn't mean it won't do it on smaller ones, death wobble is not caused by big tyres, they can just cause it to come on sooner.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pat_pending said:

My 110 200 Tdi auto can reach just under 80 😱 (gps indicated) on good flat road, although it's happiest around 60-65.

1.4 T/box, 255/85s and a tweaked pump.

Without driving the vehicle it's impossible to know whether the op's problem is engine or transmission related.

I've found the kickdown setting is really important with the auto/tdi combo, and It's difficult to get a setting that suits all driving situations.

I think it just may be a case of trial and error, 

To be honest with your 110 being a 1.4 and Ashcroft recommending the same I think that may be the way to go eventually. I can deal with the 50-55mph for the time being. Which means I don’t get as much wind noise, so there’s a bonus! 

18 hours ago, Def88 said:

As it’s a 4 speed auto, it just feels like I need another gear when I get to about 55/60 . If Ashcroft are correct, with the 1.4 do you think this may solve the problem? Or add to it? I’m not really expecting to be on the outside lane of the motorway, but would just prefer not to be overtaken by a lorry up a hill

I'm going to guess that you're not getting the lockup at 55/60ish as it's pulling a taller gear already with the tyre size.

265s on a 1.2 should easily be pulled by a 200tdi, I think your problem is elsewhere. 

Are you getting 4 gears plus lockup? 

Probably around 52-54mph it should drop RPM significantly. 

Get a boost gauge.... 

• Like 1

Mine was a Disco 200TDi with auto so 1.2 box. Was fine on 265 / 75 Simex copies (if a little loud!).

Was never fast and would slow down on long motorway hills but it could keep up with traffic more or less everywhere else.

There was talk that the gear ratios in the auto box are different between TDi and V8 but I think that has since been scotched?