Fire extinguishers

MJIbex

I need to get a fire extinguisher for the truck; since this is something I know less than nothing about I'm after some suggestions. "Are all fire extinguishers equal?" What size should I get and does anyone have any good experiences with where to get one at a sensible price? And what is a sensible price? I looked in halfords and a 2kg powder 1 was 43 quid.

Cheers

Mark.

Like said above AFFF is usually what's required for comps.

Powder isn't ideal in a vehicle, especially an off road one, as the vibrations can lead to the powder compacting at the bottom into a solid lump and then it won't work.

Halon is/was the best for putting fires out, shame it's banned.

The small ones (souped up aerosol cans) you find in more domestic shops and halfords are not really enough to put out the candles on a birthday cake. Bigger is better, and when you use it empty the thing onto whatever's on fire, don't mess about. 2-3Kg is a respectable size, above that you may start having storage problems in a vehicle. I plan on having a small-ish one in the passenger area and then a bigger one stored in a quickly-accessible place in the back, that way you have options and are never far away from one.

Green (halon) ones are illegal now because they make cute fluffy squirrels sneeze but lots of people have hoarded them as they're rather good.

CO2 is useless for our purposes, once it blows away the fire can re-ignite. Hours of fun! <_<

Edit: Not dry powder, you want AFFF, told you an adult would be along soon... :rolleyes:

If you can find 2nd hand industrial ones on eBlag they can be a bargain as they are refillable and some have a tyre valve on the side to pressurise them - if nothing else you can re-use them as mega water-pistols :D

Like they said, minimum capacity for AFFF is 1.75 litres

Or as someone once told me, carry an AFFF to pass scrutineering and Halon for putting out fires :ph34r:

Dry Powder is not permitted for motorsport and as Mark says has been known to clump and not work

O/T but old full sized water extinguishers make great presurised EP90 dispensors with minimum modification - save loads of hassle B)

What a bloomin fantastic idea! :) No more refilling Halfrauds squeezy bottles from the 25l drum, or using the 0.5l syringe with the knackered seals!!... sound like bliss to me. :)

drill a hole, tap a BSP thread in it and put a PCL airline fitting in, unscrew the business end, fill with EP, pressurise to 20 odd psi and have a pump action EP gun, over pressurising leads to "entertainment" the EP can be slightly aerated when it comes out depending on how much puff you put in the can so experiment till you find the right setting for your extinguisher :)

I have 9 litres to change on a regular basis - pump guns make it a breeze :i-m_so_happy:

Or as someone once told me, carry an AFFF to pass scrutineering and Halon for putting out fires :ph34r:

Thoroughly agree with this statement. I've got 2.5 plumbed in AFFF another 2.25 handheld and a n other fire extinguisher for actually putting fires out.

The EP90 dispenser sounds a great idea, might well have a crack at that. Thanks for that one!

H

I have:

2.5lt AFFF from Nick(cheers Nick)

and a 2ltire Halon(left out at AWDC events)

At the Belgium Nationals a couple of years ago I watched a Disco V8 try to set itself alight

luckily Jay had a small extinguisher that saved the car from a far worse fate.

I have:

2.5lt AFFF from Nick(cheers Nick)

and a 2ltire Halon(left out at AWDC events.

Why leave it out for AWDC events - I do all the Hillrallies with it on display - its only illegal to use and as long as you have the obligated AFFF as well then they shouldn't mind.

Comp spec AFFF's can be picked up for £30 so it seems silly not to have at least something in the car. I've now put one in my commuting car as well!

I don't find Gold Top all that good for putting out fires, must be the fat content! :lol:

O/T but old full sized water extinguishers make great presurised EP90 dispensors with minimum modification - save loads of hassle B)

I've used a modified Calor gas cyclinder, but the fire extinguisher idea would be much better. (Suggest you paint it a different colour though and remove the lettering!)

Why leave it out for AWDC events - I do all the Hillrallies with it on display - its only illegal to use and as long as you have the obligated AFFF as well then they shouldn't mind.

Comp spec AFFF's can be picked up for £30 so it seems silly not to have at least something in the car. I've now put one in my commuting car as well!

I don't find Gold Top all that good for putting out fires, must be the fat content! :lol:

Any reccomendations on where to purchase an extinguisher for £30?