Cutting Foam For Tool Storage

1 hour ago, Snagger said:

A lot of them don't use their tools, they just pretend.

A lot of them are sponsored to show off all the tools and storage too - personally I am deeply suspicious of anyone with a perfectly clean & tidy workshop, bench, or desk...

Yes it's because I'm jealous, shut up.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

A lot of them are sponsored to show off all the tools and storage too - personally I am deeply suspicious of anyone with a perfectly clean & tidy workshop, bench, or desk...

Yes it's because I'm jealous, shut up.

😂😂😂  ...Cadogan... 🤫🤫🤫

I have to laugh at all the Kaizen foam inlaid drawers. You have a system that's meant to improve efficiency, yet the irony is in their lack of efficient use of space.

I have no photos but my toolbox drawers are rammed to the extent that like Muddy says, they need a couple of shuffles back and forth to close. If I didn't work like this I'd need more toolboxes and a bigger garage, which aside from the practical limitations, all cost dosh that could better be spent on more tools, LR parts and petrol/derv/gas.

My taps and dies drawers have individual folded sheet metal trays made from an old road sign, just to separate the Metric/BSF/BSW/BA/UNF/UNC/BSP/ME variations. Total efficient use of space :D 

36 minutes ago, mickeyw said:

I have no photos but my toolbox drawers are rammed to the extent that like Muddy says, they need a couple of shuffles back and forth to close. If I didn't work like this I'd need more toolboxes and a bigger garage, which aside from the practical limitations, all cost dosh that could better be spent on more tools, LR parts and petrol/derv/gas.

100% agree with this, I've never understood spending thousands on bling tool boxes.....

But, each to their own I guess

Regards Stephen

55 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

100% agree with this, I've never understood spending thousands on bling tool boxes.....

my boss paid for it .... and i find it pretty usefull to have the tools in inlays , easy to see if you forgot something in/around a customer's car ....

20200107_100201.thumb.jpg.a30f8c9edf66c82b170298183d8ba9fc.jpg

I must admit my Halfords toolkit hinge broke years ago. I kept the casing and have that in two drawers but they've got a reasonably efficient use of space. They're also my go to sockets etc., given the decades I've owned that set I can find things blind in it so don't need to look for bits.

• Like 1

On my to-do list is to 3D print a load of inlays/holders for my toolboxes. I've done a couple of bits and bobs and you can get stuff pretty nicely packed with a little thought - but for a whole toolbox it means a lot of measuring of tools.

• Like 1

I can definitely see the attraction to an organised box, I'm jealous of people like hurbie who have them! I'm also very aware that I don't have the discipline to maintain it...

If you are a habitual tool-chucker, you tend to know where you chuck the tool you want. Plus those rails for sockets/screw driver bits are a nice middle ground. 

When I put up my garage door I worked with a mate who spent more time arranging my spanners than actually helping, because we'd work more efficiently.... Irony. 

Organised the way mine is, it never takes long to clear up. Stuff is easily spotted when it's missing and stuff just has it's place. Also means I can go straight to what I need each time. Working out of a box of sockets I took to a mate's at the weekend was a total arse. (OT: talking of a total arse - getting to a Nissan NV400 waterpump outlet :angry:.)