The plan starts to come together..

Guest MJG

Well - The t-Sport has been sold.

Not a great deal of interest to be honest so has gone to a dealer for a good price to them (not so good to me but I was reasonably happy). If anybody wants it is now in 'Carcraft' at Birtley but you'll pay them a lot more than you would have me.

This has eaten into my budget a bit after taxing and MOTing the Clio, however I now have a decent wedge of cash to start looking properly for a Landy.....so now on the lookout.

As Daan's piccy shows the roof is easily unboltable as one piece (and man-handleable as one person) and would net you the clearance you need to build the thing in the garage, either stick the roof outdoors if SWMBO will allow it or put it into storage with a mate. Or sell it and buy another one when you're finished, assuming you don't decide to go rag-top.

As Daan's piccy shows the roof is easily unboltable as one piece (and man-handleable as one person) and would net you the clearance you need to build the thing in the garage, either stick the roof outdoors if SWMBO will allow it or put it into storage with a mate. Or sell it and buy another one when you're finished, assuming you don't decide to go rag-top.

Yes, and Guess what I was doing to the roof in the garage? I was attacking it with a jigsaw, cutting 60 mm out of the height. Since it was a defender flat roof, the absence of the ribs loose another 20 mm. The endresult is a 80mm lower landy, which fits in my garage!

I think your garage is an OK size to build a S3, so get on with it!

Daan

Yes, and Guess what I was doing to the roof in the garage? I was attacking it with a jigsaw, cutting 60 mm out of the height. Since it was a defender flat roof, the absence of the ribs loose another 20 mm. The endresult is a 80mm lower landy, which fits in my garage!

I think your garage is an OK size to build a S3, so get on with it!

Daan

Daan just out of interest what is the overall height then now of your Landy????

Cheers,

Daan just out of interest what is the overall height then now of your Landy????

Cheers,

I measured the height at 79.5 inch (202 cm) but this is with 1.5 inch lift and 35 inch simex tyres. it is now about 3 inch clear of the garage roof and one inch from the opened garage door.

The width of my garage is 78 inch -2 metre and the length is 510 cm or 200 inch.

As fridge says, the roof comes of quite easy, but its a ballage. You will find it very handy to have it in the garage for the occasional fiddle, even when it is up and running.

Getting it in the garage can always be made easyer by fitting some old rims to the rr axle and drive it on that. I have done this for years in a previous home (rental house..).

You do need some additional storage space, cos the bits coming of it are countless. you always find space somewhere, the rr garden a favorite.

Daan

Now please don't laugh at the dash. It can be removed (and it will be!!!)

http://tinyurl.com/37qtad.

But this Landy is now mine. Bought at £1,500 with a budget of £3,500 gives me £2,000 for upgrades and any repairs needed.

Many thanks to Paul Humphreys for the tip off.

Jan is 100% convinced going from this:-

post-174-1174340231_thumb.jpg

To this:-

post-174-1174340374_thumb.jpg

Means I have finally lost my mind.

Does this face look bovvered??????

looks great actually, someone has spent some time on it by the looks of things. What's with that dash? someone been spending hours with some fiberglass or can you actually buy them?

ps. I personally think you have made the right choice of motor. I went from am MX5 and an xtrail to the 110. wouldn't go back! Wife loves the 110, but she's disabled with ideas of "image" and still looks at X5's, mercs & bloody Touregs (spelling?) to mince around the shops in :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

theres no hope......

Jas

:wub:

I think the dash used to be available, La salle if I remember right was the name.

Congrats, you wont regret it, I dont think.

Nothing beats a s3 for looks. edit-my girlfriend (and future wife) disagrees.

Daan

:wub:

I think the dash used to be available, La salle if I remember right was the name.

Congrats, you wont regret it, I dont think.

Nothing beats a s3 for looks. edit-my girlfriend (and future wife) disagrees.

Daan

Except a late IIA with a metal gril :D Personal preferance. Anyway my dad was looking atthat series 3 is a very nice motor and the dash wouldnt be as bad once you had a radio cb and some switches installed just looks a little plain

Last bit of the story.

Picked my series III up from Peterborough today. Got the train down (problem free).

Journey back problem free apart from an occasional but regular misfire under load. Traced to the HT lead to the coil. Sorted each time it happened (once approx every 75 miles) These will be replaced forthwith along the plugs, oils etc etc.

Claire my daughter loves it!!! especially the dinky (her words) little wipers, even Jan has had to admit she is quite taken.

Clearly a big project ahead, but hey I knew this when I got into it.

I think the dash would look in keeping with a Series vehicle IF it was painted gloss Bronze Green.

The Kenlowe is also a worthwhile purchase, darned expensive to buy new, but worth hanging onto if it's thrown in with the deal, as this one was.

The car looks to me as though someone's cared for it. That they may have had a different colour choice is not so important as the 'caring' part.

Could you do me a couple of small favours:

How long is that starting handle?

Does the bit you hold actually spin on the shaft? (IE, is it meant to?).

Thanks.

I think the dash would look in keeping with a Series vehicle IF it was painted gloss Bronze Green.

The Kenlowe is also a worthwhile purchase, darned expensive to buy new, but worth hanging onto if it's thrown in with the deal, as this one was.

The car looks to me as though someone's cared for it. That they may have had a different colour choice is not so important as the 'caring' part.

Thanks.

Trust me David the dash is cr@p. I reckon nothing could make it look good unless it was surrounded by a rubbish skip. It looks worse in the flesh than it does in the pics. It would have been removed today had I not been on an expedition to find a Discovery for my daughters boyfriend.

As to the starting handle, I will suss out what you need to know and get back to you. (It's dark now and I've just seen your message)

Thanks.

Overall length 35 inches, and yes the handle spins on the end of the shaft.

looks very nice! have you got any thing planned? mods etc?

Extensive mods originally planned including tdi engine and associated transmision/axles/wheels....... however..... now I've got the thing home and looked it over properly now not so sure.

Thinking at the moment how good a vehicle it is in it's original spec. so current thoughts are to repair/upgrade but keep as original as I can.

The whole family have really taken to it in it's current spec./look and are urging me not to do too much to it to spoil it's 'original' looks.

So the jury is out at the moment.......

Extensive mods originally planned including tdi engine and associated transmision/axles/wheels....... however..... now I've got the thing home and looked it over properly now not so sure.

If you're going for all that gubbins you may as well start with a rusty TDi Disco and a galvanised Designa Chassis rather than pull a perfectly good Series apart - just bolt it all into the new chassis and round up a collection of bodywork from sodbury.