BULLBARS BANNED IN UK

discojmz

thought this could be an important topic to put up. read in today's farmers weekly

'fitting bullbars to vehicles such as 4x4s is illegal from today (25th May). EU law dictates the sale and manufacture of protective metal frames is to stop. Farmers - for whom the idea was originally developed - must now find alternative means of shielding the front of their vehicles from marauding cattle and rogue tree branches.

Flexible, energy absorbant frontal protection systems (FPS) which can be proved to reduce the injury potential of vehicles involved in collisions will continue to remain legal'

ABSOLUTE C U NEXT TUESDAYs!!!

dont know what the hell im gonna fit to mine now, i wanted one of those tubualar winch bumpers, which of course have a tubular a-bar as an integral part of its design. working in forestry, i need all the front end protection i can get, and something to anchor tree cables to

when will this european bloody madness stop?! :angry: :angry: :angry:

maybe worth pinning to save any members getting pulled?

when will this european bloody madness stop?! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Its not mate . The best way to solve the problem is to move out of europe :D:D

No problems down here , need them for those bounching brown things

Now which ARB bumper should i put on my new disco. :D:D

Winch mount, fitted before the 25th of May, only used off road, work tool yaddah yaddah

so i may be asking a stupid question

but does this go for all ages of cars. So if i have a 1996 disco i am now not allowed to put a bull bar or winch bumper on my car even if i buy a second hand one of ebay. If that is the case surly they can't police that can they. :unsure:

No problems down here , need them for those bounching brown things

Now which ARB bumper should i put on my new disco. :D:D

dont even start lol. ive two cousins and their families, one in brisbane one in clunes, used to live in byron bay. unfortunately im only 20, one year of uni left and its gonna take some convincing of the long term missus to move, but id love to.

Winch mount, fitted before the 25th of May, only used off road, work tool yaddah yaddah

this is what im thinking. they may ask for proof, but they have to prove to me that its been on shorter time than I say

so i may be asking a stupid question

but does this go for all ages of cars. So if i have a 1996 disco i am now not allowed to put a bull bar or winch bumper on my car even if i buy a second hand one of ebay. If that is the case surly they can't police that can they. :unsure:

this seems to be the case, yes mate. but like you say, im not sure how they would police it. i dont want one for show, it's for functional reasons. the tubular winch bumpers are perfect for what i want, so I WILL buy one i dare say.

the tubulars are still on paddock spares' website but all bout about 3 bullbars have disappeared off there.

i would expect to be seeing tonnes on ebay very soon as companies cant sell them through the normal channels

The new law only applies to cars not already fitted with a bullbar. If you already have one fitted you do not have to remove it. Having said that, one should imagine that the chaps in blue would perhaps require some proof, ie, receipt date of purchase.

This ruling, or more accurately, its application in the UK was the result of several small pressure groups campaigning actively against bullbars, fighting a very clever campaign, clever because it was relatively "quiet" focussing on the people they needed to lobby much more than the media. That's how it has become law and how we did not really notice.

Sorry but personaly always hated them anyway.

I guess I should be outraged by the Eurocrapnsess of it all but they are hideous and why does 90% of all RRC need them in town.

:D:D

Leaving now.

When does a winch bumper become a bull bar?

Do A bars count as Bull Bars?

If you fit such a thing whose responsibility is it to prove that it does less harm to a pedestrian than a 'standard' vehicle?

Si

When does a winch bumper become a bull bar?

Do A bars count as Bull Bars?

If you fit such a thing whose responsibility is it to prove that it does less harm to a pedestrian than a 'standard' vehicle?

Si

That is what i was thinking

After all a winch bumper (with out top bull bar ) would do no more damage to a pedestrian than the factory fit front bumper (on a defender)

After all how much does the goverment think they heed to look after us and wipe our ar*e

After all you should not be walking in the middle of the road to start of with , and 2 ton of land rover even with a soft new style bull bar , or even with out a bull bar at all. Is still going to get you in Hospital

1) You can't rule retrospectively so no-one need unbolt anything

2) Define "bull bar" :unsure:

3) How many coppers will know/care/be bothered to go to the hassle of trying to pin you down on whether they're legally fitted or not?

The possible insurance ramifications may be serious in case of an accident if one finds oneself arguing over the specifics of one's bumper/bar/winch mount. In the case of modified or classic policies one should imagine less of a problem as modifications are usually listed, but those with "standard" insurance may wish to clarify with their brokers.

As to policing the ban, I have seen, on several occasions, Ministry vans and inspectors in supermarket car parks testing window tints with light meters, so yes, there will be a few purges. I dont think police officers will be too interested unless there is accident damage or injury, but one can imagine that keen traffic wardens, CPO's, and neighbourhood wardens will be flashing their digital cameras at a good few Pajeros and Discoverys in the nation's car parks and school run queues.

This may be considered a good thing of course as there is no real reason for town vehicles to have such accessories. We must hope for the law being applied with a level of common sense lamentably rare nowadays to allow the continued use of "utility" winch and recovery bumpers.

Guest WALFY

Will

We want pics of the results. Don't forget to use a broad section of society. Young, old and immigrants. Perhaps a few jobless social scumbags aswell. :D :D :D

I the nick of Time

post-312-1180195873_thumb.jpg

Off road anti tree device

post-312-1180195921_thumb.jpg

M25 anti BMW carve up device (and it works)

The big parts suppliers are looking into it..... it will cost them a lot of money in a lack of winch sales and belly guards anything without type approval

Guest diesel_jim
This may be considered a good thing of course as there is no real reason for town vehicles to have such accessories.

neither are cars that can do more than 70mph

neither are soft tops (one can simply wind down the windows)

neither are different colour cars,

where do you draw the line?

personal choice i reckon, i like bars, and have them on all the rovers i've owned (just trying to find a supplier for my new '07 shogun at the moment :D )

I the nick of Time

The big parts suppliers are looking into it..... it will cost them a lot of money in a lack of winch sales and belly guards anything without type approval

I don't think ARB will have any problem. After all they have passed the ADR (Australian Design regulations)regs in Aus , which all bulll bars and add on to cars have to have . Which are very very strict. So i can't imagine the uk ones being worse

I don't think ARB will have any problem. After all they have passed the ADR (Australian Design regulations)regs in Aus , which all bulll bars and add on to cars have to have . Which are very very strict. So i can't imagine the uk ones being worse

Except that I would imagine the UK ones will be focused on pedestrian friendlyness rather than ability to fend off 'roos...

I dont understand how you can feel so smug about having moved to Queensland of all places. I quit that effing police state for Victoria 29 years ago because of QLD's relative intolerance to vehicle modifications. The authorities down here are a bit more sensible and realistic, but from what I see on this forum the UK hasn't got it all that bad. As much as I love it, I know there is no way that a rig such as Jez's Petal would be lagally roadworthied (MOT'd) and registered in any state here in OZ, and if it was you wouldn't be able to drive it anywhere without being pulled over every few km by every policeman that spotted it.

Bill.

I dont understand how you can feel so smug about having moved to Queensland of all places. I quit that effing police state for Victoria 29 years ago because of QLD's relative intolerance to vehicle modifications. The authorities down here are a bit more sensible and realistic, but from what I see on this forum the UK hasn't got it all that bad. As much as I love it, I know there is no way that a rig such as Jez's Petal would be lagally roadworthied (MOT'd) and registered in any state here in OZ, and if it was you wouldn't be able to drive it anywhere without being pulled over every few km by every policeman that spotted it.

Bill.

Know what you meen Bill. But it is not just what they are doing to the 4x4's in the Uk that gets on everyone T*Ts

But still like queensland over vic, cheaper houses, cheaper fuel, cheaper tax ,better weather , ( Vic is just like the uk for temp but about 3c warmer .and after the big move to aus at least want better weather :D ) And of course better views :)

Even though all aussie moan about the price of fuel , houses and the amout of tax and the cost of stuff. They really don't know how cheap they have it. Go to the Uk and then come back and say that . I am earning half the amout here in Aus that i was in the Uk but have twice the amout to play with and am far better off here than in the Uk. After all i have a big 4 bed house with double garage and another garage , pool and big garden . All for half the price than a two up two down small house in the uk (which is what i came from ). And they say us Poms wing , they should listern to them selves now and again :D

So to sum up a few 4x4 retriction is a small price to pay, but then there are ways and means around it :D

Know what you meen Bill. But it is not just what they are doing to the 4x4's in the Uk that gets on everyone T*Ts

But still like queensland over vic, cheaper houses, cheaper fuel, cheaper tax ,better weather , ( Vic is just like the uk for temp but about 3c warmer .and after the big move to aus at least want better weather :D ) And of course better views :)

Even though all aussie moan about the price of fuel , houses and the amout of tax and the cost of stuff. They really don't know how cheap they have it. Go to the Uk and then come back and say that . I am earning half the amout here in Aus that i was in the Uk but have twice the amout to play with and am far better off here than in the Uk. After all i have a big 4 bed house with double garage and another garage , pool and big garden . All for half the price than a two up two down small house in the uk (which is what i came from ). And they say us Poms wing , they should listern to them selves now and again :D

So to sum up a few 4x4 retriction is a small price to pay, but then there are ways and means around it :D

Yes I understand, appreciate and agree with the above observations. My comments were focussed mainly on the 4x4 issues.

Bill.