Welding Upside-down??

smo

Can someone tell me the secret to doing this, i can weld "ok" the right way up, sometimes it even looks good, but upside down i have no end of troubles, should i increase the wire speed, or try and angle the torch????

Help!

You and me both mate! Watched Tonk doing some upsidedown welding at the weekend..........his upsidedown welding is nicer than my right way up welding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sickening isnt it!! In my defense i am totally self taught, and could probably do with a bit of a lesson at some point!

back off the wire a wee bit, keep the torch angle more acute and the torch stand off a bit further away (less dross filling it up then), clean the shroud all the time (its gonna fill with dross quickly), tip dip is a good move, get a leather smock and plan ahead - soft organic bits dont like molten metal!

its a lot of fun <_<:lol:

No worries Smo - good luck with it, it does get easier with practice so dont get stressed if it doesnt go according to plan straight out of the crate :)

savour the moment you get your first "sonic boom ear blimp" - they really are something to look forward to :ph34r:

Thanks, I'm having flashbacks to the weekend now :ph34r: still got the sun-tan (don't wear a t-shirt, it's a bad idea) as Jez says, a leather smock or just something flame-retardant to put over your delicate areas is a good thing. Also something to support your head if you're trying to do it laying under the vehicle (hint: fitting portals means you can sit up instead :lol: )

Actually the bits I did upside-down turned out nice, it's the bits I couldn't get the torch into / see into that were the PITFA.

You and me both mate! Watched Tonk doing some upsidedown welding at the weekend..........his upsidedown welding is nicer than my right way up welding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:hysterical:

its all to do with angles of the torch, still push the weld but angle the torch so it cant fill up, its all to do with practise, bit like tig welding, just takes practise, how is mr barker getting on? :ph34r:

back off the wire a wee bit, keep the torch angle more acute and the torch stand off a bit further away (less dross filling it up then), clean the shroud all the time (its gonna fill with dross quickly), tip dip is a good move, get a leather smock and plan ahead - soft organic bits dont like molten metal!

its a lot of fun <_<:lol:

A bit confused here, as I am trying to learn two of the sources I have say the opposite?

"Wire speed will need to be increased slightly when welding on a vertical surface vertically or to the underneath of a horizontal surface."

This from:

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/

My upside down was attrocious so I am open to suggetions :D

I tend to set a base setting for the material and back off marginally on the wire speed, the amount of back off depends on the joint and the materials, the theory being that gravity isnt your friend and a weld pool thats sustainable horizontal isnt going to be having a good time upside down - as Tonk said, give both a whirl and see how you get on :)

just to confuse have a nose at MILLER, its only opinion I know, but I think the Miller tech library is one othe best on the net second only to TWI

I found that buying a rusty disco, followed by fixing your brothers rusty rangie gets you reasonably good quite quick!

I also found the value of proban overalls, and a leather apron pretty damned quick too... even in the sweltering hot summer I will wear the proban overalls, gloves, and put the apron over any bit of me that could get sparked when lying underneath.

As has been said - it's a practice thing. I am afraid I can't tell you what I did other than to fiddle with the settings, and try untill it just goes, and as Dan said, one day it will just happen...

...I'll let you know when it does for me! :P

Cheers

Mark

hi Smo,

If its pooling and then dropping out leaving a kingreat hole you have too much heat or not enough wire speed..prob both.

if its not penetrating and heaping up its not enough heat / wire speed

try changing one at a time that way you'll get a better idea of whats happening.

cheers

Steveb

My upside welding is "Passable" at best

I as a amatuer have found :

Turn wire speed down a tad

Turn Gas up a bit

Turn gas overrun on if you have it

Move the torch quicker and

At more of an angle

Also I find try not to do a 10 inch run, do 10 1x inch runs and it then doesn't get as far and as quickly ouit of control !

Clean the metal well, make sure you have a nice weld prep or the weld will just "Drop" down

and wear a cricket box.... or equivelent :lol:

Nige

I tend to just weld in short spurts (less than a inch) for any positional welds and get good results - well sometimes anyway mainly due to lack of practice, my 160 amp mig welder and not wanting to get burnt with molton metal blobs - I have the scars

Steve

Move the torch quicker and

At more of an angle

Also I find try not to do a 10 inch run, do 10 1x inch runs and it then doesn't get as far and as quickly ouit of control !

Nige

Thats how I use to do it at work. I use to ture it up and just weld it a lot quicker, got better bouns as well ;)

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd add my two pence worth :ph34r: , what thickness material are you welding?, get some similar sized (thickness) metal and set the welder up to weld it nice right way up, by nice I mean no under cutting (bobbly looking, to little power / to fast wire, sits on metal like a bead) or cratering ( to much power, dips and sags) the welder should sound consistent not lots of spits and bangs just a loud sizzle, now try upside down, keep an eye on the weld pool if it gets to big cut the weld don't lift the mask or even move, ( some welders have after gas if yours has keep it on to save infecting the pool with o2) watch the pool as it starts to cool start the weld off again ( we are talking split second or so ) If your welder has burn back setting it is possible to move the torch further away (mm's), if not it'll just pop and spit, also I find .6mm wire useless, try .8mm and turn the wire speed down, and do clean the area first.

When welding vertical try welding uphill it wont look as nice as a down hill weld but will be much stronger!

Sorry if I'm teaching how to suck eggs!

Hope this helps :D

Just thought I'd add my two pence worth :ph34r: , what thickness material are you welding?, get some similar sized (thickness) metal and set the welder up to weld it nice right way up, by nice I mean no under cutting (bobbly looking, to little power / to fast wire, sits on metal like a bead) or cratering ( to much power, dips and sags) the welder should sound consistent not lots of spits and bangs just a loud sizzle, now try upside down, keep an eye on the weld pool if it gets to big cut the weld don't lift the mask or even move, ( some welders have after gas if yours has keep it on to save infecting the pool with o2) watch the pool as it starts to cool start the weld off again ( we are talking split second or so ) If your welder has burn back setting it is possible to move the torch further away (mm's), if not it'll just pop and spit, also I find .6mm wire useless, try .8mm and turn the wire speed down, and do clean the area first.

When welding vertical try welding uphill it wont look as nice as a down hill weld but will be much stronger!

Sorry if I'm teaching how to suck eggs!

Hope this helps :D

Cheers for the advice, tis appreciated :)

I welded the underside of an old 109 a couple of weeks ago and I turned the gas flow right up in the thought that the gas would cool the weld quicker than normal and help prevent the weld pool from dripping off. It seemed to work as the weld looked fine to me. Wish I had taken a picture now - missed opportunity to show off. :lol:

I can't stick weld upside down - those than can do a good upside down stick weld are not normal people. :P

Les.