Towing a 90

Mr Bean

I am to collect my latest purchase - Defender at the weekend.

It will be a 400mile round trip.

It doesn't run so a friend of mine is going to tow for me with the use of an A-Frame.

My question is

"What is an A-Frame?"

Then

"Is it suitable?"

Followed by

"Will the transmission wind up?"

I have little experience of recovery some i need some help people, please.

Thanks,

Trev

If all four wheels are on the ground and the transfer box isn't in difflock then you're fine - the problem (and what causes recovery companies to be unwilling to tow LR's) is if two wheels are on a lift and two are rolling on the road, the vehicle can try to drive the two stationary wheels with obvious problems. This is made worse by viscous transfer boxes / LSD's etc. fitted to some vehicles (not 90's) which could cause a vehicle to try and drive over the recovery truck :blink:

Thanks for the links i shall chase some of them up tomorrow.

Another question is

"How does it steer?"

It follows the vehicle in front and with the steering lock off, the front wheels take the path of least resistance between the towing vehicle and the towed back wheels so it self steers. Remember to take the steering lock off.

I did an amount of towing with an A frame before I got a trailer (still got the frame) and it's not fun. Bought a 90 back from Yorkshire on the back of a 110.

Going along is fine, but any braking suddenly or on a corner will get very interesting very quickly. You really notice the difference trailer brakes make.

If you need to brake on a tight corner it will try and push the back of your towing vehicle out and jackknife. Other than slowing it feels fine so stick to large open road and avoid country lanes where possible.

This old chestnut has been done to death over on Difflock.com. Proper can o worms.....

Basic consensus is that with exception of recovery to a safe place it is not legal.

Any trailer over 750 kg must be braked so unless your A frame has some way of applying the "trailer" brakes then its a no-no

Also, if the vehicle being towed is in contact with the highway it technically needs to be taxed (and hence have current MOT and insurance).

However, many people out there regularly use A-frames to tow there specials to off-road sites and as far as I am aware no-one has yet got into any serious trouble with the Bill doing so. Your choice........

I would find a trailer

However, many people out there regularly use A-frames to tow there specials to off-road sites and as far as I am aware no-one has yet got into any serious trouble with the Bill doing so. Your choice........

I would find a trailer

Yep, I dont know of anybody getting in bother, but as the law stands, there is potential to.

If you have to do any serious bracking with a 90 on a A frame your in trouble.

Yes, get a trailer, with a good tow truck and trailer, pulling a 90 for 200 miles will be childs play.

Agreed with all of the above, I think it would be okay towing something light with a Land Rover (astra size or smaller) but towing anything big can be dangerous if you have to stop or turn quickly (and thats usually how accidents occur anyway). A 90 out of control going into the opposite lane would be catastrophic (their not renowned for their crumple zones! :o )

Towing a 90 with an A frame would have been okay for a short distance and done later in the evening however doing 200 miles is a recipe for disaster in my opinion. Play it safe

Sorry I couldn't be more positivee :(

Cheers

G

Agreed with all of the above, I think it would be okay towing something light with a Land Rover (astra size or smaller) but towing anything big can be dangerous if you have to stop or turn quickly (and thats usually how accidents occur anyway). A 90 out of control going into the opposite lane would be catastrophic (their not renowned for their crumple zones! :o )

Towing a 90 with an A frame would have been okay for a short distance and done later in the evening however doing 200 miles is a recipe for disaster in my opinion. Play it safe

Sorry I couldn't be more positivee :(

Cheers

G

and towing on a motorway unless you are a breakdown truck is illegal as well

and towing on a motorway unless you are a breakdown truck is illegal as well

Another vote for a trailer! I would have thought you woukld soon attract PC traffics attention if you pass one two many motorway junctions on an a frame! As stated above towing on M-way illegal unless in a proper recovery situation.

Car transporters can be hired from local trailer suppliers and also HSS

Matt

You're asking for trouble with an A-Frame. What you're proposing to do is illegal. End of.

My mate's a traffic cop and trust me, no traffic cop in the country is going to turn a blind eye as you pass him by with a Land Rover hung off an A-Frame. Motorhomes towing Smart Cars and Cinquecento's (sp?) are rich pickings to your average traffic cop. You may as well put a bike rack on the back blocking the lights and number plate and REALLY make their day!

Kev

Motorhomes towing Smart Cars and Cinquecento's (sp?) are rich pickings to your average traffic cop. You may as well put a bike rack on the back blocking the lights and number plate and REALLY make their day!

Kev

Are you not allowed to tow with an A frame in ANY circumstances? Here you can do it, but you need to run a brake setup for the towed vehicle. There are fancy air systems that actuate the brakes of the towed vehicle in tandem with the towing vehicle.

Thanks for the info from everybody.

Thanks for the offer Orange90 but i have managed to hire a twin axle Ifor Williams trailer for £50 for the day and a friend is going to pull it with his Land Cruiser 4.2 TD.

Hopefully it shall go well.

Thanks

Trev