New Battery

Les Brock

well,

It seem the winch Yellow top optima is sh@@ged, only two ish years old and needs replacing..

Its always been fully charged using a 3 stage gel charger, always plugged in as the the truck only gets used infrequently, so fully charged all the time.....now wont rise over 13.3 volts and when you disconnect the charger down to 11.9 volts in about 3 mins :o

so what to replace it with..?

Needs to be fully sealed as it lives in the battery box and I don't want it leaking when Pigster puts it on its roof..:lol:

let the suggestions roll.....other than don't let Pigster drive that is !

well,

It seem the winch Yellow top optima is sh@@ged, only two ish years old and needs replacing..

Its always been fully charged using a 3 stage gel charger, always plugged in as the the truck only gets used infrequently, so fully charged all the time.....now wont rise over 13.3 volts and when you disconnect the charger down to 11.9 volts in about 3 mins :o

so what to replace it with..?

Needs to be fully sealed as it lives in the battery box and I don't want it leaking when Pigster puts it on its roof..:lol:

let the suggestions roll.....other than don't let Pigster drive that is !

Optimaa are popular, you could get another?

FWIW I'm running Exide 900s, no special care (well just abuse really) and they seem ok so far.

Optimaa are popular, you could get another?

FWIW I'm running Exide 900s, no special care (well just abuse really) and they seem ok so far.

You must have done something to shag the Optima. The oldest of mine is 5 years now - and going strong.

Go for exide for a cheap solution - they seem every bit as good as Optima - and change your split charge.

Gel batteries dont like trickle charging or float charging over long periods. Charge when it needs charging otherwise leave it alone!

Si

Another question,

Does anyone know what the solinoids used on winches (ie the metal can type) are rated at ? and are they continuous duty compatable.....

as i'm using one to supply the second battery switched via the alternator

and don't really want a fire.... :o

Does anyone know what the solinoids used on winches (ie the metal can type) are rated at ? and are they continuous duty compatable.....

I Do!

Most of the solenoids will handle between 150 and 300A continuously with short durations up to 1000A. Most will melt within a minute at 1200A.

The problem with them is not the contacts, but the coil. These are not continuously rated and usually stop working after a while. If you only ever use your truck for short journies, to & from sites etc, they will probably be fine but hava a habit of toasting on 200 mile drives.

Most of the Allbright contactors have continuously rated coils. The ones supplied as standard with Husky's are a good example - but they are a fair bit more expensive than the can type.

In experiments (with my clamp meter), My 8274 X50 (4.7Hp) draws 175A between the batteries and 468A in total when stalled. The reason it is not half 468 = 234A is just the extra resistance in the connection to the second battery. This in itself shows why it is important to have good connections if you can drop 60A in five connections. I believe my connections are about as good as they get.

Anything therefore with a continuous rating of 180A or more will be fine (and that gives a reasonable margin as your winch will melt pretty quickly sinking this kind of current). Even if you are using two winches at the same time, the motors will burn before the relay.

Si

I'm with JST on this one. Why bother with £200 Optimas when you can get 2 batteries for £80 total outlay?

They may not be bling, but they do exactly the same job and if they die you buy another one!.

Mine are 2 years old and still absolutely fine.

Get down to your nearest motor factor and get two of the biggest batteries that will fit.

I subscribe to this way of buying batteries too. I used to use a gel battery in my old trials buggy. But it was expensive and died after a few years.

If you are not planning to roll over regularly, a large lead acid battery is the best value for money. Provided the batteries are in a battery box with a decent lid, and strapped down properly, there is very little danger to the occupants, and providing the vehicle isn't upside down for a long time, acid loss will not normally be enough to stop the vehicle starting again, though the battery may need replacing or refilling if a lot of fluid is lost.

Agricultural suppliers can usually supply 700+ amp batteries for around £40 and typically each will last 5 or six years + in my experience.

Regards,

Diff

Diff, James, you've hit it on the nose. We all like to show off our toys, but the simple fact is that the battery market is so over-supplied that there are mega bargains out there. My advice, buy a couple of no-names, get great service for five years out of them but pinch a couple of Optima stickers from the APB stand at the next LR Show and stick them prominently on both sides of the truck. I won't tell and you'll look like a hero.

Neil

At the time I bought Optima's I got the two for £120 special last thing Sunday at the LRW show...Bargain...but would'nt have them again unless they were as cheap....local battery place it is then...cheers

a 629T is the lorry battery which i use, it wont fit under your seat and is a lead acid, u can deep cycle it though, i've had one for about 3 years, not an ounce of bother. u might need a forklift to pick it up though, did i mention it was big ; :unsure:

I am running twin optimas yellow top for winching (the large ones had to cut out and increase the size of my batterybox) Unfortunately after some 6 events one of them has died The surface of the top is now buckled and the battery charger feeds into it at constant full current no matter how long you leave it switched on the other altyhough on my truck it is wired in paralell is still in exellent condition.

The problem I have is apperently there are none of these larger optinas in stock in the uk for me to get a replacement.