Swivels Oil or Grease?

white90

Well after running grease in the axle for 2yrs here's my findings:

on the short side of the axle I have replaced x2 CV's and always replaced the grease with fresh on the rebuild.the grease still requiring removal to rebuild.

the long side has been untouched till yesterday when I dismantled it to fit the new Ashcroft CV's

to my suprise there was next to no grease in the swivel! it had migrated to the diff and mixed with the EP90 in there... the swivel/axle seal was brand new and intact.

so from now on the grease is to be abandoned for EP90 in the whole axle. that way it is far easier to maintain and check the levels/replace as required.

possibly but I can check it easier, I guess it moved when the 90 has been on its side at some time in the past.

I have alwasy advocated grease but have change my opinion on my findings.

luckily i found it before I destroyed the CV etc running dry.

Point noted. EP 90 is, however, not an option for those of us with TD5 swivels on the grounds that there are no drain or level plugs. My TD5 is now 6 years old and last time I had a poke around the grease was still where it is supposed to be. I guess you did have a seal problem of some sort.

I have never liked grease but that is because I have emptied watery oil out of swivels in the past and 1) you can't easily change grease 2) I figure by the time grease is leaking out, lots of water might have leaked in a dodgy seal

Very odd symptoms that you have there!

I would put oil in my swivels but no drain bung and I can't be bothered with all the faffing around to pull it to bits and drill/tap drain holes :unsure:

Oil for me too !

I did a post on the "Old darek Side" which explained how some axles have to be converted to oil (dowty seal RR etc).

When I get a mo I'll see if I can find it and repost here, its a simple case of cutting off rubbers and changing hub seals to RTC 3511s....

Late stuff also which has either no fillers or teflon coated swivels won't really work with oil, everything else is better.

What to know the condition inside the swivels at any time ?

Drain oil, inspect and replace, the oil, colour, bits water ingress etc etc all show up

Nige

<sigh>, sorry posted too fast to be clear..

A axle that has teflon / black coting is tricky to convert as the fillers / drains are not there (on the housings), whereas chriome swivels have housings that have the in and out holes so that you can convert to oil, aklthough they will have been built to contain grease, but used oil type housings ?...

.its not the swivels as such its the housings, and as a quick guide chrome = high poss you can convert telflon / black = low chance, unless its a "Bitza" axle...

Hope thats clearer

Nige :)

<sigh>, sorry posted too fast to be clear..

A axle that has teflon / black coting is tricky to convert as the fillers / drains are not there (on the housings), whereas chriome swivels have housings that have the in and out holes so that you can convert to oil, aklthough they will have been built to contain grease, but used oil type housings ?...

.its not the swivels as such its the housings, and as a quick guide chrome = high poss you can convert telflon / black = low chance, unless its a "Bitza" axle...

Hope thats clearer

Nige :)

to my suprise there was next to no grease in the swivel! it had migrated to the diff and mixed with the EP90 in there...

Hello,

Just curious - you mean there was a mixture of lubricants in the swivel or no lubricant at all?

I have noticed that my front diff is always slightly over-full, so the EP90 must be migrating from the swivels (unless I have a concealed oil refinery in there :huh: )

I changed one swivel seal at 190k (kms) and at 220k the other is going. I need to do the swivel preloads anyway. When I run out of shims to remove I suppose it is time to change the bearing?

I stick to the EP90 - apart from anything else the LR grease (like any other 'genuine part') is ridiculously expensive - one tube of grease = 20l EP90 :angry:

Roman

there was very little in the swivel the grease had move/mixed with th EP90 in the Diff

Nige

teflon is the way to go

my axle has teflon swivels and oil fill/drain/check plugs.

when you replace chrome ones you'll get a teflon one as the chrome ones are no more unless you find old stock.

I had to replace one so I changed both for teflon and replaced all the seals/bearings while I was there.

I have always used oil for excatly the reason Paul mentioned. About a year ago I was thinking of changing to grease having had to change three swivel seals in about two months - I even bought the grease. But all the benefits fo oil outway grease. I now change the swivel oil bi-monthly or when it starts getting emulsified (which happens with or without good swivel seals) I know both my axle end seals are tired so I always have a slightly over filled diff, which isn't a bad thing in the long run.

I made a swivel filler from a Hozelock sprayer with a modified end for ease of use and speed of filling

As Bhudda once said "Parts are expensive, Oil and grease are cheap)