Engine choice? TD, TDI V8?

HotRod

Morning all

I'm considering buying a Land Rover mainly for laning and RTV trials etc. Years ago I trialled various V8 hybrids when Defenders were still too pricy to muck about with, but now a 90/Defender seems a good start point.

Question is what engine makes most sense? Obviously there are very few genuine V8 90s around now, though some RR engined conversions look good, but how do the diesels drive in comparison as I like the idea of economy/reliability.

Maybe forget the NA diesel? (though its good enough for the Army!) but does a TD have enough grunt for trials (possibly pulling taller tyres) and how much better is a 200 tdi / 300 tdi? How does a 200tdi compare with say a stock 3.9 V8?

Your thoughts appreciated before I get too far in.....

Anyone have a truck cab 90 kicking around?

Cheers

Do you want the 5 minute argument or the full half hour? :lol:

Generally:

TDi's have better economy and are more waterproof as stock

V8's have more grunt and are cheaper to buy

Now there's a million swings and roundabouts around every aspect of both engines which can be argued about indefinitely.

I would say if it's just going to be a toy and you can live with the poor MPG a V8 will be more suited to trials (good for quick bursts of power from tickover) and will cost you less to buy than an equivalent TDi engined vehicle.

If you want to do lots of road miles in it, then a TDi will be less painful at the fuel pump.

I've been doing RTV's for the last 2 years in my 1989 2.5td running it on 235/85/16 at the rtv's i've hand not big problems with lack of power. but in saying that i've trailered it there as 45-50mph is very slow.

i am now putting a disco 200tdi into it and have been told buy many that it will make it a hole diffrent

truck.(so i'll have to get better as i won't be able to blame it on the truck) ;) .

the v8 are alot more fun but as i use my landy all the time it's far to costly to run but if it's only used for green laning and rtv's it's not so bad. mined you i've never seen one that like water like a diesel.

i've trialled my 300tdi 90 for 4 years now, and i think its a fantastic engine for RTV's.

so much low down grunt, you can literally walk it around the course on tickover in 1st low and never need to touch the throttle! It will happily (depending on grip) pull you up a 40deg slope with no throttle. Very lazy and idiot proof engine for offroad control and it takes a lot of effort to stall the bugger in low box!

Ok, you dont have the instant throttle responce a V8 does - but if you read the course a little bit and anticipate when you might need some grunt to spin the tyres and just apply the throttle a half second earlier than you would in a V8 - everything is hunky-dory.

as for the V8 - all show and no go.

Far too much emphasis on loads of noise, bellowing exhaust and chucking clods of mud around with wheels spinning wildly... pah!

:ph34r:

i've trialled my 300tdi 90 for 4 years now, and i think its a fantastic engine for RTV's.

so much low down grunt, you can literally walk it around the course on tickover in 1st low and never need to touch the throttle! It will happily (depending on grip) pull you up a 40deg slope with no throttle. Very lazy and idiot proof engine for offroad control and it takes a lot of effort to stall the bugger in low box!

Ok, you dont have the instant throttle responce a V8 does - but if you read the course a little bit and anticipate when you might need some grunt to spin the tyres and just apply the throttle a half second earlier than you would in a V8 - everything is hunky-dory.

as for the V8 - all show and no go.

Far too much emphasis on loads of noise, bellowing exhaust and chucking clods of mud around with wheels spinning wildly... pah!

:ph34r:

Thats what I think I have a Disco 200TDI in my 90 however the only down side is you do'nt get instant power of a v8

My 2p worth

Steve

TD5 - world apart from the older 200/300Tdi series, much much better, more power, more torque, more tunable, more reliable all round a much better more refined engine.

In my opinion the td5's electricly controlled throtle isn't as good when doing rtv's and general off roading as it isn't as controlable because the computer isn't as direct as a cable and foot.

tim

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm…………..

Parts availability for the 200 is getting a bit dire ……………..

300 is long in the tooth but a good engine ………………..

TD5 is really nice when tuned a little ………….

Rover V8 is old but unlike the 200 & 300 tdi it has been used in many , many vehicles so spares availability is high …………. Getting a good S/H engine is difficult as they hide there ‘knackeredness’ very well indeed …………..

A tuned V8 is nice …………….. tuned correctly you can get good torque at low revs …………..and when you hit the gas the response is instant ………… but rebuilding and tuning costs £££ ...........lots of ££££

:)

Ian

• 2 months later...
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm…………..

Parts availability for the 200 is getting a bit dire ……………..

300 is long in the tooth but a good engine ………………..

TD5 is really nice when tuned a little ………….

Rover V8 is old but unlike the 200 & 300 tdi it has been used in many , many vehicles so spares availability is high …………. Getting a good S/H engine is difficult as they hide there ‘knackeredness’ very well indeed …………..

A tuned V8 is nice …………….. tuned correctly you can get good torque at low revs …………..and when you hit the gas the response is instant ………… but rebuilding and tuning costs £££ ...........lots of ££££

:)

Ian

having the same debate with myself - i have a V8 90 3.9 hybrid (orig 1985 90 3.5 V8 CSW) which was fine for the 120 miles i ran it and then it overheated and blew apart a hose down near the V of the engine...now I am not sure if I trust it anymore and have been offered a reasonable deal on a newer Td5 - with 71k miles.

The V8 is an auto and the Td5 a manual that has been chipped by Rogers and the V8 has had a pro LPG conversion (£1.2k) about a year back. It has only done 4k miles in 3 years (about 70k in total) and has had a full engine rebuild (£1.6k) and recon gearbox (£1k) and BW transfer box in the last 3k miles - along with another £4k of various spends on toys and work.

Part of me says that it has had so much spent on it by previsou owners that what else could go wrong but after the overheat I have lost some confidence and worry about any damage that may have been done before the hose blew.

That said, a Td5 (6 years old) with 71k miles could be just about to start costing money couldn't it?

God knows.....wish I could just NOT WORRY but I want a reliable 90 that will get me to the trail, do the trail and get me back without breaking down. Not interested in competitions...yet....

Any thoughts or views most welcome.....

Why stickwith Rover V8?

Overpriced and underpowered compared to proper V8 engines.

Or if you can sort the electronics, plenty of other engine options (BMW, Jag V8Tdi, Audi)

You would have to give more info regarding budget to get a better answer, it's not just the

cost of the engine to consider, but everything else that makes the engine work.

The devil is in the detail.

200 tdi.

Land rovers are great when they work, especially defenders. However they do break, its just a matter of when and how often.

2.5 na was too slow. 2.5 td was prone to early death. 200tdi was good. 300tdi onwards landrover desided to try to get clever and build defenders more like cars, which doesn't really work. Electrical problems start becoming common. Harder to fix and more expensive to fix.

V8 is petrol. Diesels do off road. Not seen many petrol tractors other that grass cutters :rolleyes:

But the LR diesels have always been, well, sufficient.

Some would go so far as saying underpowered. :rolleyes:

:lol: Funny, but depends on what ya want ya truck for.

If ya want a town racer then get an old mini, bore it oot to 1340, stick a turbo charger on it, and see if ya can pop the front window out without smashing it.

If ya want a good off roader then its low down torque that ya need. Thus diesel power. Not very fast though

.......If ya want a good off roader then its low down torque that ya need. Thus diesel power.....

Err no. Ive never talked to V8 LR owner that complained about lack of low down torque.

Trust me, when you've tried a good V8 you will want to put that coal-burner where it belongs - in a generator... :lol: