Halfords professional tools

Not Professional set, but i bought the normal halfords set in a 3/8 small, "carry in the car set", and ended up using it to build the hybrid, about £30 IIRC, ratchet is a bit worn now, but still works fine!

Had a fair amount of abuse aswell! Only failure so far is a hex bit that twisted in a halfshaft stylee when dismatling the RRC.

Can recommend the Halfords professional socket sets -had mine.... 8 years ish now... ratchet still works well, and haven't bent, broken, or lost anything yet!

No I lie, one of the clips has broken on the case :P

Other than that, very impressed tbh......

Bowie.

Can recommend the Halfords professional socket sets -had mine.... 8 years ish now... ratchet still works well, and haven't bent, broken, or lost anything yet!

No I lie, one of the clips has broken on the case :P

Other than that, very impressed tbh......

Bowie.

Jeez, can't think how old mine is...it was the day that the Gosport store opened, so probably more than 10 years! I worked for them at the time, so I got the opening day sale price (IIRC it was in a sale anyway and then there was 10% off), and I got my staff discount. Worked out at about £50 for the biggest set they did at the time. My ratchets, especially the 1/4 and 3/8 are on the way out as they've had the most use (and sometimes not as a ratchet :rolleyes: ). I haven't had anything break except one of the clips on the case, and I lost the foam liner.

I got the £250 quid pro tool chest deal rammed with spanners, ratchets and screwdrivers. Really pleased, I love the warranty, broke the release off an extension bar (complete abuse), couldn't be bothered to remove the stuck socket. Went in the shop and they gave me the new parts straight off the shelf :)

where's that one? i cant see it :rolleyes:

It was probably a one-off deal. They will quite often buy in 'specials' for a particular promotion and dishing out, say, 25 sets per store. 'When it's gone, it's gone....'

That said, could be an in-store promo only and not on the 'net.

• 2 weeks later...

Halfords tools have the same Warranty the Snap On Offer.

With ONE BIG exception. THEY HONOUR IT no questions asked no fuss made no paper work they just honour it.

90% of my basic stuff is now from Halfords after Snap On has let me down too often.

Take note Snap On is what i say, people arnt buying your stuff once they learn about Halfords Pro tools.

Halfords tools have the same Warranty the Snap On Offer.

With ONE BIG exception. THEY HONOUR IT no questions asked no fuss made no paper work they just honour it.

90% of my basic stuff is now from Halfords after Snap On has let me down too often.

Take note Snap On is what i say, people arnt buying your stuff once they learn about Halfords Pro tools.

funny that because i could phone my snap on distributor at 10pm 2 night and get a replacement straight away if i would really need it.

evrything i brake, even so he knows it was totally abused and used in a non intended way, is replaced without questions or paperwork.

ok my box did cost bout bout 10k empty and its full to the brim with snap on, nothing else.

really it all is down to the attitude of ur dissi realy, as we got a mac guy coming round trying to sell his stuff but his attitude is just wrong. bought a electric sealant gun of him that packed in after 5mins and all he culd come up with was a voucher or trade in...how cheeky is that.

snap on all the way

JJ

Halfords Professional tools are excellent. I have just got a Vortex 3/8 and 1/4 equivalent drive sets, they are excellent quality and very reasonably priced. I also have their ratcheting spanners which are superb and easily as good as the Bluepoint (Snap On) ones I have used. Jonathan

funny that because i could phone my snap on distributor at 10pm 2 night and get a replacement straight away if i would really need it.

evrything i brake, even so he knows it was totally abused and used in a non intended way, is replaced without questions or paperwork.

ok my box did cost bout bout 10k empty and its full to the brim with snap on, nothing else.

really it all is down to the attitude of ur dissi realy, as we got a mac guy coming round trying to sell his stuff but his attitude is just wrong. bought a electric sealant gun of him that packed in after 5mins and all he culd come up with was a voucher or trade in...how cheeky is that.

snap on all the way

JJ

I have no problems with my dealer ither even stuff ive broke thats no under warranty hes been good with , i mostly buy snap on 95% 5% facom but a do agree halfords is very good looking stuff for diy people and even trade

I have found it difficult to get the Snapon man interested in supplying the accasional tool that I buy, Halfrauds are always happy to take my money, less trade discount, even on a Sunday!

A few years ago, I went through the nightmare of trying to remove the crank bolt on my 300Tdi Disco to replace the timing belt. Great Fun.

Anyway, I broke the end off my ancient Snap-On 1/2" breaker with a long scaffold pole on it and me giving it "the beans" - I was staggered it had not gone earlier. :o

In desperation, I tootled over to Halfords and the chap gave me all of this trash about "same factory, same steel as Snap-on.... just cheaper" I broke that before I even got as far as putting the scaffold extension. :rolleyes:

I eventually got the bolt off with a 3/4" Bar.

Halfords replaced their bar. Our local Snap-on van happily repaired their bar while I perused the wares...

Conclusion: The Halfords bar was weaker, considerably. For daily use, I'm sure it is fine. However, when you really are abusing it, it might not meet muster.

IN the first week of my agricultural engineering aprentaship I was told, "If you canna shift it with an 18'' long 1/2" Drive Snap On bar, Leave it! And fetch a 3/4" drive bar!" i never extend my 1/2" bar. 1/2" drive is mickey mouse size if its to tight to be undone with just a bar out comes the 3/4" bar.

Its worth noting Snap on stamp a maximum torque setting on lots of their sockets and adapters. We had several refusals of warranty over the years because the dealer belived we'd exceeded these. We then started buyoing sockets from Qualsoc near sheffield, better warranties, better service and better sockets.

Now I'm out of engineering full time alot of my kit is Halfords pro and its fine stuff fpr landy maintenance.

I can only agree with everything good that has been said about Halfords tools.

Used the stuff for some years now, and its great. I havent has cause to use the warranty yet, but I am impressed with the quality.

I have really abused the ratchet with lengths of scaffold tube used as entension bars, and has never let me down.

Fab stuff.

Rich