More bling factor...

Michele

The 2 1/2 inch diameter aluminum alloy Safety Thimble won't pull through your fairlead. (...)Large radius bend and support groove decrease potential failure points.

Reduces risk of injury due to hook

pulling through fairlead

The large center hole allows use of all common D-rings and shackles. Rated for use on all winches up to 15,000 pounds pull

YES !

More common is the "Rope 2 pinky Nip"

[long term memory yelp on] This is where when respooling the winch Biatch holds the rope (end now connected to the bumper etc) and the operator spools in....I have seen several "Yelps" and more close "Yikes" than I care to think about.....

When the last bit of the rope is going on it can move really quick.

Swhy I have also asked SWMBO for a couple of the Handsaver straps I have seen which can go on the hook and so aviod this, not for me you understand for my assistants.......I would never make such a mistake [/long term memory yelp off] :P

I actaully suggested these to les H as a forum "Item", they costs about £5 plus you can have writing on them for a bit extra ?.... ie "LR4x4.com", I thought a sensible and practical bit of forum PR ?..

Les wondered if they would be seen as too expensive ?....

Frankly my fingers are worth all of £10 ! :unsure: B)

Nige

thats why i always let ma biatch operate the winch when stowing the cable, i have a switch on the winch, when he's close enough and i obviously cant see wots going on at the winch then its over to him to do the job, safer IMO

thats why i always let ma biatch operate the winch when stowing the cable, i have a switch on the winch, when he's close enough and i obviously cant see wots going on at the winch then its over to him to do the job, safer IMO

Oi!!! YOUR bitch needs his fingers to keep ME in the manner i have become acustomed to!!

i meen earning money you filthly minded people!!!

Do many people get their fingers / hands trapped in the fairlead? I've not heard of anyone...

Fi

A chap I know did it about a year ago, over-run on the winch mangled some fingers (XD9000i)

If you imagine taking your finger and battering it 8 or 9 times with a 7lb sledgehammer that was kind of what it looked like afterwards, nail and stuff was gone and the rest was just a blue/black mess. I think it's more or less recovered now, not sure as I haven't seen him for a while.

I've had a "little nip" and learned from the experience :lol:

I talked to a chap last week to whom it had happened - lucky not to loose his forearm. Apparently his glove got caught and it pulled his glove, hand inside, through a hawse with a 20mm slot to 100mm beyond his wrist - and that was all after letting go of the switch, just on the over-run on an 8274.

He said the scrap value of his hand with all the titanium pins & plates must be enormous.

Made me cringe hearing it!

Si

On a serious note from me, hair can be just as dangerous, i once nearly got caught up, think of the damage to your scalp if that happened, it doesnt have to be as long as mine to get caught up, in fact short hair can get trapped just as quickly as long hair and it is nearer to the scalp too.OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

You've got to be careful with fingers. I've come close a few times and it always makes me think. The other thing to watchis gloves. I find unless the gloves are good they are more of a liability (with plasma) as you've go less feel and more chance of getting caught up in the cable. As far as the bling thing goes, I wouldn't use one; too slow really and there will always be someone who tries to use an unsuitable shackel...

On a serious note from me, hair can be just as dangerous, i once nearly got caught up, think of the damage to your scalp if that happened, it doesnt have to be as long as mine to get caught up, in fact short hair can get trapped just as quickly as long hair and it is nearer to the scalp too.OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re:"On a serious note from me, hair can be just as dangerous, i once nearly got caught up"

I suppose that's one of the dangers of stepping over a rope whilst not wearing undies!! lol

John

Well I guess thats another good reason to keep things trimmed!

But on a serious note I've almost ingested my hand into the winch before now - funnily enough this was casued by the gloves I was wearing! Fortunately managed to wriggle my hand out of the glove before it got too far (didnt do the glove much good!)

I still wear gloves, but I have to say I think Tonks idea is a damn good one!!!!!!!

Jon

Edited by Les Henson

Re:"On a serious note from me, hair can be just as dangerous, i once nearly got caught up"

I suppose that's one of the dangers of stepping over a rope whilst not wearing undies!! lol

John

YOU NEVER STEP OVER A ROPE OR CABLE. EVER!

You step on it if you need to cross it and are too lazy to walk round. Should the cable go taut, you get pinged off via your foot rather than have the cable gouge through the parts that sit in between your legs.

Could we get some finger savers made in the forum LR4x4.COM Logo?

As a way of showing our support for the health & safety aspects of winching/trials.

I know I would be prepared to buy a couple.

They could also be used as secondary prizes or gifts for entrants in competitions LR4x4 are involved with.

John

Could we get some finger savers made in the forum LR4x4.COM Logo?

As a way of showing our support for the health & safety aspects of winching/trials.

I know I would be prepared to buy a couple.

They could also be used as secondary prizes or gifts for entrants in competitions LR4x4 are involved with.

John

Yes good idea. I'd get one (and a bigger one for setting a kitty gripper but that's another story).