Diesel engines??

laura

Hello I'm desperately looking for help!

My 1981 series 3 is currently stuck on my drive as it blew a piston after 2 old heater pipes blew and the engine rapidly overheated. It was the original engine and it looks like salvaging it may be more expensive than finding another one. The valves etc have warped as well as the damage from the piston.

I have a limited budget and limited mechanical capabilites. I do as much as I can on the car myself but I think engine replacement is a bit above my level! I need my car as it is my only car, one I could really use to get me to work! Also I love it dearly and the thought of getting rid of it makes me want to cry! Really I am looking for the simplest and cheapest option! Not much to ask I know!

As far as I can see I have a few options:

1= buying another series diesel engine. This would be the best but so far they have been rare as gold dust and expensive! If anyone has a full deisel engine hanging around please let me know!!! I want one very very much!

2= I have a petrol series 3 with a ruined chassis sat on the drive (we bought it for its interior, perfect wings, safari roofand overdrive). When looking at its engine, it looks as though the base is the same as the deisel. Does anyone know if this is the case? If so would I be able to put that in my deisel and just look for the parts for the top end? This would be cheaper but is it possible?

3= I find another deisel engine to put in it? what would be the easiest engine to put in mine? I dont have the money for any expensive conversions, such as for power steering or gearbox replacement so really I'm wondering if there are any other engines that can pretty much go straight into a series 3?

Please let me know your thoughts. I really need some advice on this!

many people change their original 2.25 Diesel for a 2.5, 2.5TD or 200Tdi, so you might be lucky and find someone with a good 2.25 engine to sell.

or you could take the opportunity to change it for a 2.5 or 2.5TD. again, many people change these for 200Tdi.

i believe, the best choice would be to go straight to the 200Tdi, but you'd have to be sure the gearbox is up to it, or you would end up with more problems, later. but this would take you more time and money, i guess.

I think the engine blocks on the petrol and diesel were the same but I wouldn't like to say that anything else was interchangable.

I would opt for a direct replacement as the simplest or for a bit more work go for a later engine. It may be cheaper to try and find a working diesel with a rotten chassis and buy the whole thing for the engine before selling the rest on again with the broken engine thrown in, however, that depends on finding space for three Land Rovers.

I have an old 2.5 engine out of an old LDV mini bus i have had it running but not for 3-4 years it is missing bleed off pipes and alt wouldn't want much for it as have no need (just putting in a 200TDI in my 90 and have a 2.5td in my S3

but i'm in devon

Unless you're really attached to what's regarded as one of the least desirable engines LR ever made, I wouldn't waste money on sorting it out - these days 200TDi's are cheap enough, a 2.5NAD would be an even cheaper bet, and of course there's always the V8 option not to mention other engines such as Isuzu, Daihatsu, Ford V6, Mazda, Nissan... whatever the case, depending what's available and what your aim is for the vehicle there's not much to recommend a rebuild of a 2.25D.

Any of the Land Rover 4-pots will more or less drop in - 2.25 Petrol, 2.5 Defender petrol/diesel (also Sherpa van diesel), TD, 200/300TDi. Turbos are more work due to the plumbing but it's all well documented on here.

Engine conversions often crop up on eBay as engine & conversion kit removed from a vehicle and can be a cheap way of doing it, the main thing is to get the bellhousing adapter plate and clutch setup as that's usually the area that's hardest to replicate.

BTW power steering and gearbox replacement don't have to be expensive - either you're massively skint or have been reading too many of the Land Rover comics :P

2.5 N/A from a Sherpa (LDV) will fit straight into your vehicle with only minor modifications.

2.5 N/A or TD from a 90/110 will require modification to the drivers side chassis engine mount.

200 and 300TDi will most likely destroy your gearbox at some point.

Les.

In your circumstances (skint and a petrol engine doing nothing) I'd put the petrol engine in your diesel vehicle. This will get you going and in a better position to get a replacement diesel engine when it suits you.

You can't just put a diesel top-end on a petrol block, a diesel crank is stronger than a petrol one.

I have just looked at my engine in detail now that it has been opened up. two pistons have gone, but have not scratched the walls. Damage seems to be mostly due to temperature melting a valve onto the piston. I will take some photos soon and put them up so you can let me know what you think. We are wondering if it would be possible to get the pistons and valves replaced and the face resurfaced.... I dont know if this will be cheaper than a new engine. I'm also concerned that by doing bits, something else may go wrong soon after and i'll be in the same position..

I'm gonna start looking for a wider range of engines now.. thanks for filling me in a bit on which would work best. I would put in the petrol engine but as I use my car for about 40 miles a day I can't afford the fuel each week! It will use up nearly all that I earn in a week! (I am a poor student!!!) If I lived in an easier place to use public transport I wouldn't be stressed but I am in the middle of nowhere!

2.5 N/A or TD from a 90/110 will require modification to the drivers side chassis engine mount.

Only if you have the steering in the "right" side ;)

To be clear you to modify the RHD chassis engine mount

I have just looked at my engine in detail now that it has been opened up. two pistons have gone, but have not scratched the walls. Damage seems to be mostly due to temperature melting a valve onto the piston. I will take some photos soon and put them up so you can let me know what you think. We are wondering if it would be possible to get the pistons and valves replaced and the face resurfaced.... I dont know if this will be cheaper than a new engine. I'm also concerned that by doing bits, something else may go wrong soon after and i'll be in the same position..

I'm gonna start looking for a wider range of engines now.. thanks for filling me in a bit on which would work best. I would put in the petrol engine but as I use my car for about 40 miles a day I can't afford the fuel each week! It will use up nearly all that I earn in a week! (I am a poor student!!!) If I lived in an easier place to use public transport I wouldn't be stressed but I am in the middle of nowhere!

If you repair your engine, be sure to get your injectors tested as they could be partly to blame as well.

Engine conversion, would be nice as more power, better fuel economy etc. But cheap direct replacement sounds easiest and are simple, as take one out plonk other one in and connect all the bits up again.

If you put your location in your profile, there are probably some forumers, who would lend a hand as long as your willing to learn and provide all the tea/beer and biscuits needed.

Jon (knowing what it is to be a skint student and left his landy at home this term :( )

I sold my spare 2.25 diesel engine for £100 a year or so ago, was running and came with alternator and starter motor - would have been a drop in replacement.

I'm sure there's many others at around that price, shouldn't be too hard to find one, the other thing to do would be to buy another with a rotten chassis but good engine

I will be taking an 2.5 NA (Sherpa) engine out of my series in a few weeks, should be complete with Alt, Starter etc.

Engine runs but is tired, and could do with a overhaul.

If anyone interested email me at Boatfisher1@sky.com I dont want much for it, just need it collected once its been removed....

• 1 month later...

perkins prima for a series...all the way... rover montegos are cheap

lt77 out of a van would help sort out tha hookin up difficulties and u just need adaptor to the s2/3 tbox

im currently sorting out my first car for this conversion but in using lt230 and rrc axles

35-40mpg

70mph

less likely to damage a s2/3 box if they are use as similar power/torque curve

and the power easilly upgradable to 200tdi standards

im using the non-turbo from the van but the turbo montego version is recommended

I picked up a 2.25 about 2yrs ago on e-bay for £50

The bargains do come up so be patient and keep waiting. Buy yourself a moped and use that than fix the Land Rover properly.

My personal opinion is standard is best, therefore fit any Land Rover engine in.

Also fuel economy is not much different between petrol and diesel is it?

At least with petrol you can add LPG.

you can add lpg to the intake of diesels for more power and economy and to keep emissions lower as it makes the engine burn nearer 100% of the diesel instead of around 60-70% hence no smoke...

like you said bargins can be had...i am getting a 2l perkins prima n/a with lt77 out of a van from a mate for £160

does anybody know how to upgrade injectors? and suitable ones for the perkins prima?

thanx guys

i seen that site before very good info thanks

mines a non-turbo (at the moment) i was just wondering about higher flow injectors thats all...

propane injections on the list as well as turning the pump up but i still want to retain some economy... above 30mpg

i was thinking along the lines of a crank driven compressor to pump air into the intake as this may be cheaper than s'charge...or a elec one hooked to alternator...

any ideas?

There's a reason turbos and superchargers work like they do - a supercharger will use up to 30% of the engine's power to spin the compressor :blink:

Those electric superchargers (or "a very expensive PC cooling fan" :rolleyes:) are 100% pure rubbish, and for similar reasons of physics an air compressor blowing into the intake is going to make zero difference. Have a search for "supercharger" and see what's what.

yes i understand fully the principles of super and turbo charging and i also understand that those electric supercharger are a load of ****but...the basic principles of chargers is to increase the intake air pressure...thus increasing the amount of air taken into the cylinders thus increasing the amount of fuel u can burn...

so using an electric compressor run off a high ampage alternator/dynamo say, then you would have an effectively loss free supercharging system...

turbos restrict the engine in certain rpm bands and superchargers inflict mechanical losses...it would affectively be a "hybrid" supercharger...

any thoughts?

You would still have losses in the system because as you try to take more load off the alternator you will drag the frequency down of the output voltage making it harder for the shaft to turn therefore requiring more engine bhp to turn the alternator.

You don't get anything for free, especially where engine tunning is concerned.

Have you thought about NOs? Nitrous Oxide would give you a boost when you want, as long as you don't slap 350bhp worth or NOs on a standard engine it shouldn't affect longevity.

yea there are the laws of physics to play with....

just considering if it would make the losses lower...

the idea was propane injection and bigger injectors on a standard engine just to give it a little bit more...

and then switch the manifolds to the turbo version at a later date...