Land Rovers to pay to go any where in London

Videoman

Right i decided to ring instead of emailing and after speaking to two separate people it seems the compliance checker has not been updated.

The supervisor i spoke to said that Defenders were re-classified earlier in the year to be compliant, he has given me a direct number to speak to the relevant department as he could not get though himself.

Now that is progress! I was under the impression initially that the compliance checker would have to link to the external sites when performing the check - it quite quickly became obvious that that wasnt the case - they have downloaded a database once and never updated it!!

If defenders are re-classified, will that include those of us with pre-defender vehicles - i.e. mine is a 110, not a defender!?!

Right i decided to ring instead of emailing and after speaking to two separate people it seems the compliance checker has not been updated.

The supervisor i spoke to said that Defenders were re-classified earlier in the year to be compliant, he has given me a direct number to speak to the relevant department as he could not get though himself.

Thanks for doing that. I have been too busy to do anything on this myself recently.

Cheers

Martin

After two days of trying i have just spoken to a manager and apparently the information i was given monday was wrong :angry::rolleyes: .

They are awaiting the public enquiry's finding's re the suspension which are looking to be favourable, this they hope to announce early next year.

So finger's crossed we will all be compliant until 2012 at least.

The problem is i have been told that what you have regards body type on the v5 means nothing as they also go on your vehicle weight so as on my v5 it says 3499 gross weight i am non compliant even if it say's estate or station wagon therefore there is no point in changing it from Light Utility :angry: :

Hope that all make's sense

After two days of trying i have just spoken to a manager and apparently the information i was given monday was wrong :angry::rolleyes: .

They are awaiting the public enquiry's finding's re the suspension which are looking to be favourable, this they hope to announce early next year.

So finger's crossed we will all be compliant until 2012 at least.

The problem is i have been told that what you have regards body type on the v5 means nothing as they also go on your vehicle weight so as on my v5 it says 3499 gross weight i am non compliant even if it say's estate or station wagon therefore there is no point in changing it from Light Utility :angry: :

Hope that all make's sense

None of the info they have given you makes sense. Why are some peoples 110s and 90s compliant and others not if it all goes on weight? There are a lot of people with vehicles that are compliant but loads of us with them that are not.

Here's something else for you to consider - http://www.glencoyne.co.uk/motclass.htm

It's a commentary about revenue weight and where from January 2010 Land Rover's with a revenue weight of 3000kg and over will be eligible to have an MOT.

There appears to be considerable confusion which needs a common sense approach from "government" to provide a fair and sensible way forward.

Any chance of that I doubt it!

John

She said weight was just one of the factors involved for Land Rovers, TBH the mot is F all at the moment compared to the LEZ problem

I agree. Its just another example of how the rulesare all over the show where our vehicles are concerned and that one bit of the government doesnt know what the other is doin!!

Rubbish!! Since mine is a genuine CSW do you think i have grounds to get the revenue weight removed from the v5? Its not a commercial vehicle!

I also said that mine is not a commercial vehicle, she stated that it does not come into it anyway if the gross weight is near the 3499 amount

Here's something else for you to consider - http://www.glencoyne.co.uk/motclass.htm

It's a commentary about revenue weight and where from January 2010 Land Rover's with a revenue weight of 3000kg and over will be eligible to have an MOT.

There appears to be considerable confusion which needs a common sense approach from "government" to provide a fair and sensible way forward.

Any chance of that I doubt it!

John

Reading the above article show's some glimmer of hope as the vehicle weight on the V5 may be wrong?

My 1998 300Tdi 110 VIN plate shows 3050kg in the revenue weight line.

However my V5 does not have any revenue weight at all - it's blank.

Vehicle class is Light Utility as it was first registered as a 110 hardtop, which gives the vehicle it's 3050kgs.

Had it been first registered as a 110 CSW the plated revenue weight would be 2950kgs (under the MOT limit of 3000kgs for a Class 7 test) Many CSW's if not all leave the factory with self levelling, not the case with utility's which have heavier duty springs.

My 110 has been converted to a 5 seat/door CSW, chassis-up rebuild but still carries the 3050kgs and light utility rating.

I will only know where I stand when I turn up as usual for the MOT next August, hoping that as my V5 does not have a revenue weight stated, my 110 will be eligible for a Class 4 test :unsure:

It is a bit of a mine-field to know what to do.

I do wonder if we could offer some advice to the DVLA as a body of "experts" to help them come to a sensible fair ruling. Land Rover would be no help as they are extremely reluctant to change the original 'type' specification on a vehicle that has been modified, in particular by anyone other than the factory SV Department.

You can understand their position given the liability issues.

110 Defenders appear to becoming caught up in retrospective legislation and they can fall either side of the line more by luck or otherwise than clear judgement.

Perhaps we do need to speak up!

John

Perhaps we do need to speak up!

John

Who to though? DVLA in my experience are generally unhelpful and unwilling to listen. The LEZ is an issue on all land rover forums i have looked at - together there is quite a body of people that are affected by this. Would LRO magazine or the like take this on as they must have contacts that can put this to a higher authority...

• 3 months later...

As a MOT Tester I really can't see the problem in Class 7 tests!

I test a car "as presented" and look at the Vin Plate.

If it's a "Van Body" AND the GVW on the plate is over £3000kg

then it's a Class 7 end of...

I do not know of a MOT Station that charges more for a Class 7 test.

VOSA set the Max price but...As I said I know of nobody who charges the MAX..

As for the Class 7 Test being harder...It is in fact a little bit easier as..

You can have 1mm of tread not 1.6mm as the pass figure ;)

• 1 year later...

Sorry to drag this up again just thought this may be of interest, a friend of mine has a CSW TD5 but has been told by TFL that it is not exempt due to it being registered as a diesel car but a commercial vehicle despite what the VIN says, he has been sorting it out today he got hold of Land Rover who sent him the information below including a name at the DVLA who will be able to sort it out for him may be useful for others.

Jason.

Dear Mr xxxxxxx

Re: XXXXXXX VINxxxxxxxxxxxx

In response to your query, I have obtained the below information reflecting Land Rovers stance on the situation. Land Rover unfortunately cannot provide any further assistance in this issue, but I hope the following information may be of some use to yourself.

All Defenders pre-98 MY are non-compliant irrespective of body type, number of seats etc, as they were registered as Commercial vehicles.

Landrover have confirmed to DVLA that all Defender Station Wagons manufactured after 1998 were primarily built as passenger carrying vehicles and can be described as 'estates'.

In order to change the body type description to 'estate' and as a result meet the standard for the Low Emission Zone you should contact Beverly Williams at the DVLA.

<br clear="all">

Kindest Regards,

Tristan Bartholomew

Land Rover Customer relations

dlillico@jaguarlandrover.com

www.landrover.co.uk

01926 691 510

All Defenders pre-98 MY are non-compliant irrespective of body type, number of seats etc, as they were registered as Commercial vehicles.

Cheers for the info Jason (please don't take the following as shooting the messenger as I really appreciate your posting of this)....

This seems to show that even Land Rover have no idea about what is going on, or at least want to distance themselves from the whole tfl/lez debacle.

Are all pre 98 defenders actually registered as commercial vehicles?

Surely it's all down to what is on the V5, so if it already says 'body type = estate' and 'taxation class = PLG' it's a car and not liable?

Seperate taxation classes of Petrol Car, Diesel Car, and Light Goods Vehicle were introduced 1/3/01 pdf so there are at least 3 years production of Defender CSW's that according to Land Rover are exempt but could have exactly the same details on the V5 as pre '98 Defenders.

The whole thing is just a complete mess :(

I just had a read of this and now I'm confused as to whether I'm going to have a problem when I present my 90 for an MOT when I finally get it back on the road.

Here are its details, can someone tell me if I need to get anything on the V5 changed or if its all OK

Date of first Reg: 1987 (came as a surprise to me, I've always thought it was '86 !)

Make: Land Rover

Model/Type: 90 4C Reg DT Diesel

Variant: (this is blank)

Version: (this is also blank)

Body Type: Light 4x4 Utility

Taxation Class: PLG

Revenue Weight: 3499KG

Cylinder Capacity: 2494CC

Fuel: Heavy Oil

WheelPlan: 2-Axle-Rigid Body

Thats all the stuff from the V5

I haven't change the colour so thats OK

What does the '4C' bit of the Model/Type mean?

BUT

I have removed the roof and rear panels and installed a Trakkers Truck Cab Mohair roof. So its now a soft top.

There isn't a hope I'll ever drive it into London so I'm not bothered about the LEZ stuff, just the changes to the MOT

Thanks for your help guys.

IanB

Cheers for the info Jason (please don't take the following as shooting the messenger as I really appreciate your posting of this)....

No offence taken, as you say even LR acknowledge it's a mess!! just thought the names may be useful to people trying to get TFL to listen, another point to note was once he had spoken to the DVLA he spoke again to TFL who told him that even if the DVLA changed the status it could take up to three months for them to recognise this as that was the frequency of their database update.

Jason

I just had a read of this and now I'm confused as to whether I'm going to have a problem when I present my 90 for an MOT when I finally get it back on the road.

Here are its details, can someone tell me if I need to get anything on the V5 changed or if its all OK

Date of first Reg: 1987 (came as a surprise to me, I've always thought it was '86 !)

Make: Land Rover

Model/Type: 90 4C Reg DT Diesel

Variant: (this is blank)

Version: (this is also blank)

Body Type: Light 4x4 Utility

Taxation Class: PLG

Revenue Weight: 3499KG

Cylinder Capacity: 2494CC

Fuel: Heavy Oil

WheelPlan: 2-Axle-Rigid Body

Thats all the stuff from the V5

I haven't change the colour so thats OK

What does the '4C' bit of the Model/Type mean?

BUT

I have removed the roof and rear panels and installed a Trakkers Truck Cab Mohair roof. So its now a soft top.

There isn't a hope I'll ever drive it into London so I'm not bothered about the LEZ stuff, just the changes to the MOT

Thanks for your help guys.

IanB

The 4C is for $ Cylinder :)

I think I'm correct in saying you need to change the revenue weight to 2400kgs as per a 90's MGW. Either that, or have a class 7 MOT.