Land Rovers to pay to go any where in London

Videoman

Freedom of choice, thats why.

although i spent last weekend in london, and the best bit was coming back to Swindon.....

.... and thats bluddy saying somthing! :blink::blink:

Bah! The old 'because I might feel like it' clause eh Jim? It's still a mad idea, you're highly unlikely to need it's capabilities in London, unless the mud in Knightsbridge is particularly bad for the time of year!

I know what you mean about Swindon, I used to live in Reading and that was close enough to Swindon fer me ;)

I used to have to drive into london occasionally to visit friends and for work. The landrover was far better than a car. Speed isn't an issue, traffic never gets above 40mph! :lol: Ability to see over things, drive through potholes, speed bumps etc... One of the roads near my place of work at the time you had to pick your route down driving the range rover! :o With the standard of driving in london I was far happier in a landie. Final big advantage was size, the range rover was shorter than most other cars and a 90 would definitely be smaller. Easier to park and takes up less space on the road so less congestion! :P

Ed

I used to have to drive into london occasionally to visit friends and for work. The landrover was far better than a car. Speed isn't an issue, traffic never gets above 40mph! :lol: Ability to see over things, drive through potholes, speed bumps etc... One of the roads near my place of work at the time you had to pick your route down driving the range rover! :o With the standard of driving in london I was far happier in a landie. Final big advantage was size, the range rover was shorter than most other cars and a 90 would definitely be smaller. Easier to park and takes up less space on the road so less congestion! :P

Ed

That's why I use a 90. :D That and it's great for towing big minibuses.

Guest diesel_jim
Bah! The old 'because I might feel like it' clause eh Jim? It's still a mad idea, you're highly unlikely to need it's capabilities in London,

Mind you, with that clause you could discount any number of vehicles.... why a sports car? (you can't get out or 3rd gear on a good day in London), why a people carrier if you're on your tod , etc etc etc for any type of vehicle.

Yeah, i fully agree with the "coz i might feel like it" argument, for no other reason than "i might feel like it" :lol:

Question - why would you want to take a Defender of any persuasion into a major city, let alone London unless for commercial reasons? Seems like a mad idea to me.

What happens if you live there??? When I lived there I kept my 90 in the centre of London and I happened to be very useful as you could see over things, it was actually quite small, people didn't argue with you (ARB bumper and a few battle scars). I'll be working and living (during the week) in London again soon but now I don't think I'll be keeping a Land Rover there again and certainly not a diesel powered one. However, on principal, I think what Red Ken is doing is terrible. The shame is that most people probably don't realise how much of an effect he'll have if he gets annother term so he may get back in. You may not like Borris but no matte rwhich way you look at it he will be better!

As a resident of France (where MOTs last 2 years and road tax has been abolished) I read these comments with interest and a degree of sadness.

I have long since argued that if the government REALLY had its heart in the environmental camp then at midnight following the budget it would:

1/ Remove all duty on LPG

2/ Remove all duty on bio-fuels

3/ Remove VAT on all renable energy sources and provide 50% tax-back incentives on all energy conservation work on property (as is done in France) ie: PVC double glazing, shutters,wind turbines/hydro-generators/solar panels etc

4/ Invest massivley in alternative energy sources

The fact that it continues to do none of these things proves that it is not about the environment but raising revenue. After all, at what cost would owning/driving a Land Rover have to be to stop us wanting/owning one?

• 1 year later...

Here you go, looks like you have a few more years yet until the plop (looks like the forum swear filter kicks in when you write s*** , but without spaces) really hits the fan - 2012

You can check your Reg HERE

The lesson here is, if you are gonna re-build a vehicle, re-build one that was registered before the year 2000.

It means you pay £180 road tax and are LEZ exempt.

Personally I think it is just another excuse to bring in a law that makes the public pay more money.

Edited by Miserableolgit
Manual edit of attempts to circumvent swear filter.

Why before 2000? My 110 is registered before 2000 and is still liable for the charge. It is only road tax affected by the 2000 cut off.

I'm currently arguing with TFL that my 1989 110 is registered as an estate (got that changed from light 4x4 utility on the V5 as it is a CSW) and therefore shouldnt be charged LEZ. I live just outside the M25 so will have to venture in there at some point.

From my understanding, Pre 2000 vehicles do not have to adhere to emissions laws, hence they can't enforce it in the LEM. This is only in relation to vehicles that are private, don't know about commercial registrations.

The reason I know is my 1989 110 is LEM exempt, it is a private vehicle though an down on the V5 as an estate.

I reckon the files TFL check are linked to the DVLA, so once it is changed there you should be cool, also that is your proof if it ever went to court.

From my understanding, Pre 2000 vehicles do not have to adhere to emissions laws, hence they can't enforce it in the LEM. This is only in relation to vehicles that are private, don't know about commercial registrations.

The reason I know is my 1989 110 is LEM exempt, it is a private vehicle though an down on the V5 as an estate.

I reckon the files TFL check are linked to the DVLA, so once it is changed there you should be cool, also that is your proof if it ever went to court.

Totally wrong, its down to Land rover classing most as Light utilty's to get around crash testing.

My 1994 300tdi is non-compliant in Oct next year :angry:

Your's is exempt as its an estate on the V5

Wot he said /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Yours is an estate which is why it is exempt - it is nothing to do with age. Age only affects the Road tax - i.e. before or after 2000.

What is more, it seems that even if you do get your vehicle re-classified, TFL do not re-check the DVLA files every time you do a compliance check. It seems they downloaded the data once adn to change it on their system after changing body type with the DVLA you have to register with TFL. That said - i dont know if this works yet as i have had no response from TFL even though i sent the application in just over two weeks ago.

Even having sent them a copy of the V5 they have not changed the status of the my def csw on the vehicle compliance check. See this post earlier in this thread.

They said they would try and work out how to separate the vans from the cars. They said they assume All Defenders are Vans as they are based on a Light Utility Vehicle.

All attempts to get any feedback on what is happening just results in the same "your vehicle is non compliant" answer as an email. Not exactly "customer friendly".

I guess someone will have to have it tested in court after driving into the LEZ without paying for them to actually do something.

Martin

Even having sent them a copy of the V5 they have not changed the status of the my def csw on the vehicle compliance check. See this post earlier in this thread.

They said they would try and work out how to separate the vans from the cars. They said they assume All Defenders are Vans as they are based on a Light Utility Vehicle.

All attempts to get any feedback on what is happening just results in the same "your vehicle is non compliant" answer as an email. Not exactly "customer friendly".

I guess someone will have to have it tested in court after driving into the LEZ without paying for them to actually do something.

Martin

I did read that. Did you register with their online form or just write to them? Also, if they consider all defenders vans, why are there a large number that are exempt? - it seems to hinge around the words estate or light 4x4 utility on the v5 from what i can make out - what does yours say on the v5?

hat does yours say on the v5?

"Diesel Car"

I have spoken and written, and had assurances that they are "looking into the classification of defenders"

They have their own record of what class your vehicle is, not derived from DVLA but their own assessment.

I am considering just putting an exemption form in to see what happens.

Martin

I am considering just putting an exemption form in to see what happens.

Thats where i'm up to. No reply as yet. All the people i've spoken to who are exempt have estate on the v5 so that is what i am arguing (since mine now says estate). I'll let you know how it turns out.

"Diesel Car"

I have spoken and written, and had assurances that they are "looking into the classification of defenders"

I too had this via email, saying that a decision would be made nearer the time.

Which could be a fat lot of good if they decide against us weeks before the date

I have sent another email :(

Right i decided to ring instead of emailing and after speaking to two separate people it seems the compliance checker has not been updated.

The supervisor i spoke to said that Defenders were re-classified earlier in the year to be compliant, he has given me a direct number to speak to the relevant department as he could not get though himself.