Is a Safari Snorkel noisy ?

I had this Mantec snorkel on my Camel Disco

post-16-1200335227_thumb.jpg

Being LHD and rear facing - it was very noisy, intake noise, rather than wind. Especially as I like driving with the window open.

I'm currently planing the build of a Defender, again a 300TDI, will a Safari Snorkel be noisy ?

Thanks

i have a RHD 300 disco with the snorkel pointing backwards for obvious reasons and when the passenger window is open or cracked i too can hear a significant intake noise whilst accelerating! <_<

cannot notice it when forward facing though but then it got ripped off a few times in that position :o

think I'll put up with the noise for now its cheaper ;)

If it's intake noise, why not just add a 45 degree bend and a length of 'drain pipe', adjusting the angles with a hot air gun, until the end of the pipe is behind your door, even at the rear of the roof rack?

You will find the noise is reduced, on any 'pipe' or snorkle end, if you get rid of the sharp edges that air has to flow past. Aim for a rolled edge of about 1/4" radius. The noise is reduced because the air flow is better.

You might find something suitable in a kit car or race car catalogue, as a rounded opening for ducting air from a forward facing panel to the brakes, or an oil cooler.

www.carbuildersolutions.co.uk will have something, but there are probably others.

CBS page 58, just ignore the 120mm ID, they obviously mean OD, for a 66mm ID, which should about do you.

Cheers.

I had this Mantec snorkel on my Camel Disco

post-16-1200335227_thumb.jpg

Being LHD and rear facing - it was very noisy, intake noise, rather than wind. Especially as I like driving with the window open.

I'm currently planing the build of a Defender, again a 300TDI, will a Safari Snorkel be noisy ?

Thanks

Just out of interest what type of airfilter did you have fitted (standard or K&N type) as I noticed on my home made snorkel also rear facing, that fitting a standard paper element made mine much quieter.

Pete.

Just out of interest what type of airfilter did you have fitted (standard or K&N type) as I noticed on my home made snorkel also rear facing, that fitting a standard paper element made mine much quieter.

Pete.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!! (Falls on sword, dies.)

Andy,

I had a safari on my red 300tdi 110CSW. Admittedly I had the head facing forwards rather than back and there had been no fuel pumps tweaks, but it was perfectly quiet... if you can use that word when describing a Landy!! :lol:

The camel 110 on the other hand is also a 300tdi. It has the Mantec snorkel with that frey bentos top on it and the fuel pump has been slightly tweaked. Even I can hear the air being drawn in on this one, and you know my ears aren't exactly in top condition!

I've just heard that it is back in the UK and should be back with us by next week, so you are more than welcome to come and listen to it.

D B)

Hi Pete, I could see from your post that you had removed the FTD K&N thingy. To answer the others, yes, your intake noise will be less with a real filter than with a thing that only removes bits more than 1/2" square. The Mantec tin can that I have is no more noisy than the Safari budgie catcher on a similar 300Tdi.

Having said that, if you have a TD5 (rather than the Tdi that I have), you will notice some intake noise from the raised air intake of whatever make. The Mantec TD5 pipe is larger diameter than the Tdi, 75mm as opposed to 70mm I think. If your TD5 is chipped it uses a lot more air and therefore you can hear the rush.

And what is wrong with that?

The only thing that gets me is that these Australians have taken a Swahili word to advertise their products. Maybe you can go for a safari in Australia, but only if you like lots of flies. Here we have dung beetles and very few flies.

TBH - I don't remember what filter I had on it, as I sold it about four or more years ago.

But I do remember that the intake noise was one of the reasons I sold it, it was that intrusive. Van Aarken had been at the pump on mine.

Andy

Does anyone here have the Southdown snorkel? I see hteir autumn special has one for my impending 130 defender for a good price but not as good as the clearence items version. i could make one up from therir bits for half the price. I have never fitted one so may need some help. wink wink.

Having said that, if you have a TD5 (rather than the Tdi that I have), you will notice some intake noise from the raised air intake of whatever make. The Mantec TD5 pipe is larger diameter than the Tdi, 75mm as opposed to 70mm I think. If your TD5 is chipped it uses a lot more air and therefore you can hear the rush.

Mine (new Mantec plastic type) is quite quiet. I do not hear it even with the window open. There is no noticeable wind noise either and they fit 300Tdi.

Chris

Yes, I can't see this being a problem for most of us. If you get worried about intake noise maybe you should buy a Beemer or a Jag or whatever. Maybe even a Fraud :D

Whats your point ?????

I'm trying to design and build my dream vehicle for traveling around Europe and maybe further.

Given a clean sheet, and the wealth of knowledge here - why wouldn't I choose a quiet product over a noisy one ?

A quieter vehicle is a safer and more enjoyable one. I know a Defender isn't a limo, but unless its for a no-holds barred weekend warrior I can't see the point in making it worse for the sake of it.

Beemer Jag or Ford - all fine cars, but I take your tone of comment as offensive :angry:

I don't notice any noise from the Safari snorkel on the Disco, I don't notice the hotchpotch snorkel on the 110 either but then thats a bit noisy anyway.

I would think a tight fitted snorker like Chris' Mantec one or a Safari one would be quieter than a tube type such a Southdown one due to wind noise rather than induction growl.

Will :)

Does anyone here have the Southdown snorkel? I see hteir autumn special has one for my impending 130 defender for a good price but not as good as the clearence items version. i could make one up from therir bits for half the price. I have never fitted one so may need some help. wink wink.

I made my disco one up from bits from Southdowns clearence eBay shop, and some lengths of tube from the scrappy:

gallery_92_353_117797.jpg

I haven't noticed being any more noisy as a result, and it's a cheap way of doing it for me...

Mark

Whats your point ?????

I'm trying to design and build my dream vehicle for traveling around Europe and maybe further.

Given a clean sheet, and the wealth of knowledge here - why wouldn't I choose a quiet product over a noisy one ?

A quieter vehicle is a safer and more enjoyable one. I know a Defender isn't a limo, but unless its for a no-holds barred weekend warrior I can't see the point in making it worse for the sake of it.

Beemer Jag or Ford - all fine cars, but I take your tone of comment as offensive :angry:

Ok be like that then. Maybe you should buy a pair of ear defenders, then you can ignore noise from your engine, and, more importantly, ignore any advice that we want to give you. I could say I won't bother in future, but knowing myself, I will carry on as before.