Workshop uses for domestic products...

ThreeSheds

This week I have used Vaseline (for fitting the fuel filler hose), KY Jelly (for fitting a water hose) and toothpaste (on a drill-press drive belt) .. and - watching an advertisement just now set me thinking... There must be a use for Polygrip Ultra, and probably for half a dozen other 'domestic' products...

So enlighten me - what have you used for what..?

TwoSheds

p.s. Just remembered - in Egypt 25 years ago I used a Durex for petrol... But everyone knows that one :)

This week I have used Vaseline (for fitting the fuel filler hose), KY Jelly (for fitting a water hose) and toothpaste (on a drill-press drive belt) .. and - watching an advertisement just now set me thinking... There must be a use for Polygrip Ultra, and probably for half a dozen other 'domestic' products...

So enlighten me - what have you used for what..?

TwoSheds

p.s. Just remembered - in Egypt 25 years ago I used a Durex for petrol... But everyone knows that one :)

I hava an old flat belt lathe and I found sodasiphon[?] drink concentrates are really good on the belt, went from a facing cut 25 thou deep was slipping to taking ~125 thou off per cut with coca cola dressed belt..

Not too sure about washing up liquard in those two proposed uses.....I've been told that it can rot rubber so not good for tyres and washer jets.

Anyhow......Mr Muscle Oven cleaner for cleaning engines. Read instuctions and sustitute engine for oven and jet washer for sponge :)

Dishwasher or washing poweder is good for windscreens when they get a film on them. In powder form it is slightly abrasive but not enough to scratch and degreases at same time.

Agree that dishwasher is great for all bit's of the rover... I don't think she reads this forum!

A mate of mine used to swear by nappies for mopping up spills, and cheap cat's litter for soaking up big oil patches (I can't remember the ingredient that does it).

Does "the dining room" count as a household object - because that's where all my tools & welder currently live in the absence of a shed! :ph34r:

I cant remember who it was that recommended cilit bang but i got some on a whim when i was in asda and tried it yesterday when i was doing the seals on my brake cylinders and it worked really well, it works as effectively as white spirit but is much kinder to your hands, it is more expensive than white spirit though....

vaseline is good for battery terminals and electrics

not strictly domestic but haemostats used for clamping arteries are very good for clamping any hoses :lol:

Mike

fairy as screenwash

Do not think so,, No1 it will block the pipes and jets up,, and 2, it will ruin your paintwork,

Have invoiced out hours, over the years with cheapskates using washing up liquid as screen wash !!

Guest WALFY
kieselguhr or fuller's earth, I believe..

Kieselguhr or it's other popular name diatematious(sp) earth. Used in the production of drinking water at work when we are out and about ;) .

Fullers earth is used to soak up chemical spillages in warfare ;) by the other side

• 2 weeks later...