Hydralic hose manual crimping tool

andyb

Below are a couple of pictures of a manual hose end crimper. The little two ridged wheel in the second picture does the actual crimping. The last picture shows one of the fittings (actually meant to join two hoses together should you need to repair a hose in situ). Just about visible are two faint lines (two pairs of two); these run on the ridges of the small wheel in the crimper and eventually form the joint to the hose.......not easy to explain but hopefully obvious from the pictures.

The kit is designed to repair hydralic hoses on argicultrial and constuction machines. I'm not sure about the range of fittings avaliable in terms of pipe sizes but I have seen male and female ends (ooeer) as well as some elbows. Didn't get a good look; it was a busy day and I just snapped a few pics with my phone :)

I just wondered if the hydralic gurus would like to venture an opinion.

crimperoverview.jpg

crimpercloseup.jpg

hydralicfitting.jpg

TIA

at work we used a bench hand pump hydraulic crimper the the correct dies per hose size and number of wire, personally its the only way id like to do them it gives a nice clean crimp at the correct tension

I have a mate with a hydaruilcs company.

For all the crimps all they use is a huge F off Hydraulic crimper than hexagonally crimps up the ferrel over the pipe and on top of the fitting - awesome.

Never seen one of these, but I will ask when I next see him :)

Nige

So what are we thinking?.........not so good?? :)

no not good at all i would through that thing away and leave it to the pro's

i am a qualified hydralic engineer and in my oppinion the tool you have there is a waste of time you will not get the correct or even preasure on the fitting and the crimp will not be safe to use if you need to join two ends of hose to get you home use screw in fittings these are better but would not recomend them for perminant use

just my opnion

I have a mate with a hydaruilcs company.

For all the crimps all they use is a huge F off Hydraulic crimper than hexagonally crimps up the ferrel over the pipe and on top of the fitting - awesome.

Never seen one of these, but I will ask when I next see him :)

Nige

thats what we use u get different dies like 4-6 8-10 12-14 depending on the hose diameter and number of wires, and it perfectly crimps the ferrels tight

Thanks for all the replies.

The kit isn't actually mine, it was brought by a chap that I work for; he intends to use it to repair hoses on his farm machinery.

I have to say that the kit was purchased from Spaldings so (in theory) should be upto the job; however, I understand what is being said regarding hydralic powered crimpers with respect to making an even crimp all round the fitting.

Prehaps this kit is best regarded as an temporary in-the-field repair kit.

well i work as a agricultural engineer and i can tell u ive seen some pretty bad woulds with hydraulic pipes bursting when operators are near machines , very dangerous diesel doesnt blow out like hydraulic but get your finger near that and it inject straight into your fingers! even working with diesel engines i have my safety glasses on for this reason always keep yourself safe never trust hydraulics ither

one of the massey mechanics in the factory had his finger end cleaved clean off by the high pressure injection system on the new tier 3 engines

when i need a pipe doing i tend to take it to peacock and binningtons and avail myself of their crimper. its like a bottle jack with 6 pieces of metal that close onto the collar of whatever fitting is going onto it.

tbh weve a good relationship with spaldings, we buy a lot from them, and have helped them out with some of their own product development. not seen that crimper before, but when we're talking pipes to tip up a 14tonne trailer or more importantly the brake pipe for said trailer, i wouldnt even entertain using it.

(trailer brake hoses get broken when pillocks like me forget to uncouple the locking connection on the back of the tractor before driving off) ive managed not to for about 5 years now... that's jinxed it!

• 4 months later...
at work we used a bench hand pump hydraulic crimper the the correct dies per hose size and number of wire, personally its the only way id like to do them it gives a nice clean crimp at the correct tension

Hi,

any idea where I can find one of these crimpers, had agood look on the web but can't find one,

any help would be appreciated,

Dave

Hi,

any idea where I can find one of these crimpers, had agood look on the web but can't find one,

any help would be appreciated,

Dave

we use a hand crimper made by gates not the best but thay do the job the other option is contact pirtek and find out their supplier of their hydraulic crimper a pro piece of kit even with the gates crimper ive had ends blow off but not hoses made up by pirtek

Dave -search for a Parker Karrykrimp, we use them for all our hydraulics - easy, simple, fast and possibly the cheapest solution.

some places will do a deal and sell you one for £1 if you agree to buy all the fittings and hose from them, naturally they will load the parts prices sky high to claw back the pennies.. get a full set of dies and press rings.

I had an enlightening chat with a local hydraulic hose company yesterday. They sold me a load of hos and fittings which I intended to cut to length then mark the orientation of the ends such that they could swage the fittings on.

Yesterday, they told me they could not swage the fittings on to anything but new hose assemblies due to a new regulation - and that included the bits they had sold me. The best they could offer is to re-make the pipes with new bits and charge me again.

OK, a certain amount of this is an excuse to charge me more - but it makes things a lot more difficult if it is down to regulation.

There is another company who will undoubtably do it - but for the future, I'm probably going to me in the market for a swaging machine too!

Si