Putting the public at risk?

Will Snoop-dog be volunteering for work soon?? :lol::ph34r:

Errrrr.... :hysterical:

if i read it right they have supplied 1 vehicle only

if they had supplied all units with vehicles that would be news worthy

Indeed it is....I seem to remember a Top Gear test with this, the "carp yank 4x4" its based on and the TD6 RR.......the two yank tanks just stopped working.... :unsure:

More likely it was set-up to let the RR win.

What is 'altitude sickness' in a car?

Test here

Theyare only using it becuase its free. Just like when the German Poilce bought a load of MG ZRs just after MG went bust. In the report it was said that they chose the vehicle becuase of its capability.. I'm sure the half price tag had nothing to do with it atall.

As Pugwash said. Landrover are crazy for missing a chance to do this. If it is reall only one vehicle that was donated then surly Landrover could have rolled out a few of their brand new Defenders to the most needed areas.

I am not up on the exact figures factory landrovers when it comes to approach, break over, departure, roll engles ect.. Would somone care to list the comparison with the stated figures for the H3? Is it really better? Or is it like a program I watched a few years ago about the US Delta Force... The best in the world, fantastic, great WOOWOO,, then in the end credits.. "DELTA FORCE!... Trained by the British SAS" :)

From the Hummer website, the H3 has the following specs based on standard 32 inch tyres:

Clearance 8.5 inches

Approach 37 degrees

Departure 35.5 degrees

Breakover 23.5 degrees

Slideslope 40% (why do people use this? I want degrees :angry:)

Grade 60% (I'm assuming this is climb and decent angle)

Fording capability at 5mph 24 inches, at 20mph 16 inches

Vertical scaling 16 inches

All with a wheelbase of 111.9 inches, total length 188.1 inches, weighing in at 4,000lbs.

The H3 is the only vehicle of its size that can climb a 407mm vertical wall or 60% slope, traverse a 40% side slope and operate in up to 610mm of water, making it a sure-footed choice for Mountain Rescue.

It's cleverly worded - it says it's the only vehicle of it's size which can do that stuff. Which it is, there might be many smaller vehicles which can do it and many larger vehicles which can do it, but it's the only one of exactly it's size which can do it (ie it's the only one out of one!)

Yea I've no doubt that they're using it cause it's free, its like the Police using Honda CRVs..they've no value as a 4x4, but they're cheap cause they bought out a new model.....

It would be good to hear Divster's views on this if he's around.....

his thread; http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=17479

From the Landrover website for the 110:

Ground clearance (on 235) 12 inches

Approach 45 degrees

Departure 49 degrees

Breakover 150 degrees (I think LR measure from the centre point to each of the wheels, whereas Hummer measure from the wheels to the centre point)

Max gradient 45 degrees

Traverse angle 35 degrees

Wading depth 20 inches

Kerb weight 2041 kg (SW), wheelbase 110 inches (obviously :lol:)

Why does landrover have such a shallow wading depth. I noticed this when looking at the figures for the VW Toureg or whatever its called. It would be so easy for Landrover to just move the air intake up a little bit instead of sucking from half way down the side of the wing and suddenly have a better wading depth?

Why does landrover have such a shallow wading depth. I noticed this when looking at the figures for the VW Toureg or whatever its called. It would be so easy for Landrover to just move the air intake up a little bit instead of sucking from half way down the side of the wing and suddenly have a better wading depth?

I think its mostly due to the new generation 4x4's Touareg, RR, RRS, Disco etc having air suspesion.

Does anybody know if "fixed suspension" 4x4's like the Hilux, L200, landcruiser etc are about the same as the Defender?

Jesus I knew the H2 was carp but thats cause it was not related to the military vehicle in any way. But the first white one and the black one on the ramps were the ex military units :blink: Jesus someone needs to fights the yanks on the ground :lol:

I thought the black one was just testing it's ability on even ramps and I was like eh why is the rear wheel arch coming up like that :huh::rolleyes: What a ****heap

When I hear someone say hummer I still can't help but imagine a big steaming poo on wheels, which is actually totaly accurate, you have to hand it to them on choice of names.

EDIT: It should be Hummer No.2

I think its mostly due to the new generation 4x4's Touareg, RR, RRS, Disco etc having air suspesion.

Does anybody know if "fixed suspension" 4x4's like the Hilux, L200, landcruiser etc are about the same as the Defender?

I think you will find that it has more to do with axle breather than air intake without additional breather tubes the Defender is restricted the side intake is high as a Range Rover air intakes.

It is still based on a really carp Yank 4x4 (and I use the term 4x4 quite wrongly B)) isn't it?

Certainly the H2 is just a Chevy suburban (better known in the US as a burb) with a different body......................the H2 chassis and running gear is based mainly on the Chevy Colorado and a small mix of GMC Canyon parts................(both workhorse pick ups)

To be honest the Burb in its own right is a competent off road truck and there is a strong aftermarket bolt on availability.......................

I have driven an early H3 and its performance on the 3.5L (Votec - 5 cylinder 20 valve) is pathetic !, so much so that the 2007 model now uses the 3.7L votec.

I guess new the go faster version (H3 Alpha sports) that has pinched the well endowed Vortec 5.3L V8 is a real bundle of fun to drive..............

The best 'yank tank' drive for me was the Dodge Ram V10 auto ............... just touch the go pedal a little and light up all four tyres B) ..........

:)

Ian