BFGoodrich MK2 the new MT

jules

I'm getting hacked off with BFG, They had to meddle with the track edge, and now they are messing with the MT for christ sake if it ain't broke don't fix it! :angry:

Coor they meddle with the trac edge ages and ages ago, have you lost the last 5 or so years :lol::lol:

About time they refreshed stuff

Coor they meddle with the trac edge ages and ages ago, have you lost the last 5 or so years :lol::lol:

About time they refreshed stuff

I know we lost the trac edge 5 years ago! I was the poor sod who's gaffer had its replacement the commercial traqction fitted to his vehicles I was the one sat round getting stuck cos of the lack of grip, No one can say the commercial traction was an improvement of the the Trac edge. Looking at that new MT it looks to be going the same way. In our industry the current BFg MT is well respected and a very good tyre I'll be doing my best to buy a set of the old pattern to put into stock. I really don't like the look of the new ones It doesn't look as an agressive tread pattern,

Looks similar to the BFG rock crawler but with even less space between the blocks....... :(

.....I suppose the plus side is they will sell the production licence for the MT mk1 to another tyre maker

oh well , looks like TSL will sell more tyres now

Steveb

I'm getting hacked off with BFG, They had to meddle with the track edge, and now they are messing with the MT for christ sake if it ain't broke don't fix it! :angry:

This tyre has been around for ages, dont worry, its NOT replacing the original MT pattern, its just an alternative!

Also another difference between the bf crawler and the mt2 is the crawler is not e-marked and not for highway use. This mt2 is e-marked etc. so that is a definate sign that it is not as agressive as th4e crawler and like steveb said, the blocks are closer together so there is a big enough contact path for road users :(

Does look quite good though :)

Also another difference between the bf crawler and the mt2 is the crawler is not e-marked and not for highway use. This mt2 is e-marked etc. so that is a definate sign that it is not as agressive as th4e crawler and like steveb said, the blocks are closer together so there is a big enough contact path for road users :(

Does look quite good though :)

Is this opinion one from experience?

Just for interest, the KM2 was lunched last summer in the states. Its going to be coming out in a wider range of 16" sizes later this year.

Reviews in the american press have been good, stating that BFG have improved the original tyre's weak side walls. I saw one review that claimed it was much better than the original MT and an excellent all round tyre (but then they were sponsered by BFG on their project truck...)

Also another difference between the bf crawler and the mt2 is the crawler is not e-marked and not for highway use. This mt2 is e-marked etc. so that is a definate sign that it is not as agressive as th4e crawler and like steveb said, the blocks are closer together so there is a big enough contact path for road users
:(

Does look quite good though
:)

Is this opinion one from experience?

It can't be, as it's wrong. The KM2 is not e-marked and so far Michelin have no plans to import into Europe.

Steve

I wrote a piece about the tyre recently. According to the info BFG supplied me the current M/T will start to be phased out in the US later this year as more sizes of the KM2 are introduced. However, the UK BFG importer told me we'd be lucky to see the KM2 in Europe before 2010.

As most know, BFG is owned by Michelin, who do all of the design work.

The tread pattern of the BFG Krawler has a strong resemblance to that on my Michelin XML's. The Krawler performs very well on rock and mud - they are very popular on comp trucks in Australia and many winch challenge competitors prefer them to Simex.

IMHO the KM2 will prove to be a great advance over the the old muddie - not only for the superior side walls. They will be going on my rangie when the current mods are finished (even if I have to up the rims to 17".

It can't be, as it's wrong. The KM2 is not e-marked and so far Michelin have no plans to import into Europe.

Steve

Thanks Steve for clarifying.

Rhys with that in mind can I point you towards:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=25186

Especially post number35 in that thread.

I think so-It might be-it is worth a try etc etc are not worth typing on here as it ends up misleading people who may know far less than others.

I'll reserve judgement until I see these in action. I've always been a fan of the current BFG which always seemed to do remarkable well. The new trad pattern does look more like the Krawler and I've been very impressed when I've seen these in action (silty soil and some rock) but I've heard bad things about clogging in clay type mud where they seem to suffer from poor clearing (compared to Simex and Boggers). To me that suggests the MT2 may be an improvement on rock and some soils but may be worse in thick, gloopy mud.

I'm glad to hear they've sorted the sidewall isses :i-m_so_happy:

Thanks Steve for clarifying.

Rhys with that in mind can I point you towards:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=25186

Especially post number35 in that thread.

I think so-It might be-it is worth a try etc etc are not worth typing on here as it ends up misleading people who may know far less than others.

Sorry guys, and yes I have already been reading through that topic as it was on going. It is just that I have read "somewhere" can't recall where though that it was e-marked and bf where planning to put them the uk. Anyway I am posting rubbish again :rolleyes: Back to topic :)

• 1 month later...
I need 2 new BFG mud terrains 255/85/16 are the new KM2 still a few years away for UK buyers?

Looked at Devon 4x4 and nothing about the new tyres?

Oh i don't know

I saw a set on a D3 at the begining of may . And that was at Gaydon. So they are in the Uk

I need 2 new BFG mud terrains 255/85/16 are the new KM2 still a few years away for UK buyers?

Looked at Devon 4x4 and nothing about the new tyres?

Yes Dave nothing new. Irrespective of whether a D3 was wearing them or not, as per Kev's post there are no firm plans as yet to bring it in.

Best place I found last month for BFG's in that size was Camskill Performance. They were 107 pounds each delivered. The price of BFG went up at the beginning of April :rolleyes:

Cheers

Steve

Non E Marked KM2's are available in the UK but BFG only offer a limited range of sizes- even in the US. There is for example only one 16in version and that's a 315/75 or 35in equivalent. Any D3 on KM2's would have been on 17in rims where bizarrely there are more sizes readily available.

The official line from BFG is the existing M/T "will start to be phased out in September" as more KM2 sizes are introduced. There's nothing to say it may be another 12 months or more before we see a full replacement range. You'd expect BFG to launch a larger range of 15in sizes ahead of 16's since that's the most popular rim size in the US. The UK BFG importer (Southam) told me they don't expect to see the KM2 for some time suggesting the current tyre isn't going anywhere yet.

In the meantime, if you want 255 M/Ts the current BFG M/T is your only choice.