Front Bumper Bull/Nudge Bar and Spots

Before winter I want to fit a front nudge bar, the inverted 'U' type that bolts onto front bumper with two spots mounted 'inside'. Sorry bit of a bad description...

What would the good folk of LR4X4 recommend?

I'm assuming the bar will be a bolt on, but being an electrical numpty is there a ready spur from the loom? Could I link to high beam? I do a lot of driving across Bodmin moor which can be very dark in winter and full of animate 'objects'. Would make it much easier to have the lamps 'on' high beam rather than flick on switch.

Think I would prefer black powder coated bar rather than the rubber 'Defender' one, but open to all suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Gavin

Before winter I want to fit a front nudge bar, the inverted 'U' type that bolts onto front bumper with two spots mounted 'inside'. Sorry bit of a bad description...

What would the good folk of LR4X4 recommend?

I'm assuming the bar will be a bolt on, but being an electrical numpty is there a ready spur from the loom? Could I link to high beam? I do a lot of driving across Bodmin moor which can be very dark in winter and full of animate 'objects'. Would make it much easier to have the lamps 'on' high beam rather than flick on switch.

Think I would prefer black powder coated bar rather than the rubber 'Defender' one, but open to all suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Gavin

if you want a nearly new heavy duty one i have one,black powder coated with built in spot lamp bar, its a full wrap around..40 pound and its yours, pm your email address and i will send a pic??

Loads of places sell A-Bars as they are called... Rebel 4x4, Paddock Spares, eBay... If you don't have air-con then the world is your oyster for A-Bars although get one soon because from the summer it is illegal for traders to sell them due to new EU laws.

There won't be any wiring already in place, but search around the forum as there should be plenty of threads on how to wire up spotlights already. Hope this helps :)

Really blimey... will do!

Is it a bad idea (or even legal) to wire them to the full beam?

Not idea what lights to get really....

If it's driving lights you want, then yes, it is legal to have them wired with main beam. As stated earlier, there's a fair bit of info already on here regarding how to actually wire them in, but bottom line is that normally they would be wired so that they can only come on with main beam - either directly (so you always have main beam and driving lamps) or indirectly (main beam only or main beam and driving lamps). Either way is legal - the important bit is that the wiring is carried out correctly using appropriate cable, switches and relay/s.

The standard Defender wiring loom will not take the extra load on it from fitting such lamps (2x 55w bulbs) so you'll need to ensure that you do use the appropriate relay to carry the current. It's possible to buy a ready made generic loom for wiring in accessory lights - RING make quite a good one which includes all the cable, plugs, relay and a switch - as well as a basic wiring diagram.

If you are in any doubt about your abilities though I would strongly advise that you get it done by someone who knows what they are doing - either recommended to you or a professional vehicle electrician. You'd be surprised how many vehicle fires are caused by poor wiring.

As for lights - well - the choice is yours.... limited really by your wallet.

Don't forget that fitting really large lights in front of the radiator isn't really a good idea if you're likely to be working the vehicle hard - they'll obstruct the airflow to the radiator and intercooler somewhat which won't do much for your cooling....

Hope this helps.

Matt

And that is just mental:

3674391666a3705474704b520338536l.jpg

I haven't gone quite as far but I am tempted :) now...

Just finished wiring in 4 spots on the roof rack and two on the A bar. Was an easy, if time consuming job. 35mm2 welding cable through 16mm convoluted tubing from battery box to drivers box. Into a fuse/relay box then 1mm thinwall run through 16mm tubing again to the engine bay where a T piece runs up to the roof lights, other tubing runs to the front for horn, spare and lights and 7mm tubing runs through the bulkhead for my switch circuit.

AFAIK if you have an over ride switch (so that the lights can be switched off while on main beam) they need to be illuminated switches. But I am probaly wrong.

Have a look at this thread: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...spots&st=20 esp SteveBo's pictures on page two.

mad

Blimey - are you wired into the national grid with all those lamps :lol:

Handy for making toast, grilling sausages, burgers etc, if you forget the stove. Just turn the lights on and ZAP! :P

Caption competition -

How many forum members does it take to change a bulb?

Do I need a bigger alternator?

Why does my battery keep going flat?

How do you convert a 110 to 240v?

Les :)