Cubby box or centre seat...??

I just bought a second hand cubby off Mo Murphy, as i always feel that its dangerous if someone sits in the way of my gearstick, now there will be only room for me and a passenger :)

my girlfriend has did have a lot of bruises from elbowing her in the boobs!

... and what a fine cubby it is too :) I posted it Friday, so it should be with you on Tuesday. Your girlfriend can then breath a sigh of relief :)

Mo

• 3 weeks later...

Another vote for a cubby box - Si you can keep even more maps and sweets in the cubby box.

My old 110 had a centre seat but unless the kids are very small its useless.

Mobile Storage Systems gets my vote. Its on the Billing shopping list.

• 8 months later...
I have a gapping void in the middle of my 110...

Now is a cubby box the way to go, looks like you get a nice arm rest...

Or centre seat...??

Open to your views....

Cheers

Dave

Hi :)

I have a senter seat in my Defender and today I fitted 4 bolts onto the original cubby box. It takes me 2 sec to change from senter seat to cubby box. It fitted the same way as for the seat.

Have a look at this : http://www.lrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36473

Regards Espen

I have a gapping void in the middle of my 110...

Now is a cubby box the way to go, looks like you get a nice arm rest...

Or centre seat...??

Open to your views....

Cheers

Dave

It depends on you. I like my center seat, it's not a good seat, but from time to time it gets used for local trips.

My labrador loves a Landy, and from choice she prefers the drivers position, but her legs can't reach the pedals so I send her over to the passenger side.

If I have a human passenger then she (the bitch) sits in the middle leaning hard against me, so hard that it makes steering a bit 'tight', so I put my arm around her, and I can then steer normaly. I couldn't do any of that with a 'cubby' box.

Hope that helps!

Howard.

2X300TdiDef.

• 2 years later...

I'll be rather contrarian planning to remove my cubby box and reinstalling the centre seat, to be able to transport two passengers (kids). I will certainly install the exmoor 3point safety belt. It doen't need a upper fixing point. I will order the centre seat with the headrest, though.

i have a cubby box in brian, bolted to the steel panel on spacers so it sits right and nice. BUT

i also have a spare steel panel and the rail for the center seat is always there, so within 5 minutes you can have 3 seats. which is useful in a 88" pickup as theres no back to throw them into. it is used reasonably often.

The Defender being the icon of overland travel has nowhere at all to store maps and other things. Storage space was reduced even further by the designers who filled in the storage shelf,,,,,

I'm please I have the older model 300Tdi. The cubbu box is useful for locking things out of sight.

As for maps ?????

Only trouble with cubby boxes (got a MSS one ) is they rapidly become a repository for carp useful stuff. The centre seat was next to useless once my kids grew legs, once tried to fit an adult in there and , well, you have got to be VERY good freinds to select low ratio/difflock, very good friends indeed....

Only trouble with cubby boxes (got a MSS one ) is they rapidly become a repository for carp useful stuff. The centre seat was next to useless once my kids grew legs, once tried to fit an adult in there and , well, you have got to be VERY good freinds to select low ratio/difflock, very good friends indeed....

Don't you normally drive in low ratio ? I do. Or is 1:1 a lower ratio than 5.3:1 LOL

Centre seat for me and the lab, A4 diary and rest of the assorted mags and folders fit on it well not to mention when you have 6 wheels and tyres in the back you can put two in/on the passenger seat and the dog can still sit somewhere.

Will (i would also fill the chubby box with carp)

yes this is true, a cubby box, as useful as it might be, does tend to need clearing out (tipping out) every few weeks.

i found a set of points in mine the other week. Its not been petrol for over a year!!

Hi I have a cubby box fitted to my Defender 90

It was a custom built [also a free gift] made from 3mm steel basically the same shape as the shop options and has a useful open tray at the front and a single lockable box compartment. I keep my removable steering wheel sat nav recovery policy radio front unit etc. in it when away from the vehicle.

i looked at some rear seats when i first got my 90 but went off side facing jobs as terrified of internal injuries if god forbid i hit anything. the forward facing are ace but then no space for my springers. so kept middle seat which gets used rarely but has side benefit of elbow boob interaction, as the half century nears every little helps :moglite:

not a clue, however try ringing wardmans of matlock, a man on the inside told me that they take cubby boxes out of the new landys to fit center seats, and throw them away, not sure if this is 100% true but worht asking a you might get 1 on the cheap. however it could be the tray type which is still quite useful, just doesent have the lid and its only as deep as the seats.