Removing Anti Roll bar

The landy has a lift of 3 to 4 inches and People have said to remove the anti roll bar, I've heard it on here too.

Some say it restricts articulation??

The landy is on HD springs so will removing the anti roll bar make any difference to ride on the road?

I dont want to do it if its not safe :blink:

Hope all are well

tris

Hello mate,

I took both the anti-roll bars off my Discovery 2 years ago and have had no problems, I did find that there was a little more roll (this was with a 2" ish lift) but not scarily so. Obviously with a bigger lift I would expect more roll.

You can keep the anti-roll bars but you will need to space the brackets down by approximately the amount of lift to keep the linkages happy.

Anti-roll bars will limit the articulation off road.

Hello mate,

I took both the anti-roll bars off my Discovery 2 years ago and have had no problems, I did find that there was a little more roll (this was with a 2" ish lift) but not scarily so. Obviously with a bigger lift I would expect more roll.

You can keep the anti-roll bars but you will need to space the brackets down by approximately the amount of lift to keep the linkages happy.

Anti-roll bars will limit the articulation off road.

Righto, Think I will remove it then and see how it goes, When is mike back?? :)

I fitted HD springs and removed the AR bars. The roll was less than with the old springs and the ARBs on!!

More articulation with them off too plus one less bush to fail the MOT :rolleyes:

I wouldn't hesitate to get them off. Less weight to lug around too.

Poisonous spider :lol::lol: As long as you got the key to the unit I dont mind! Im itching to paint the landy!! The quicker I paint it ferrari colours the sooner I can change my mind and paint it black magic after :lol:

As for removing the roll bar your experiance doc has given me a little more confidence and I didnt look at it like its one less bush to fail the mot ;) Its never going to corner like a go cart, Although when its painted ferrari colours it might go a little better!

Im fitting a HD wide angle prop tomorrow and then wednesday is anti roll removal time, So thats a socket set, A spanner and my big old grinder needed :rolleyes:

Kind regards tris

Removal of an anti-roll bar from an axle on which it is a standard fitment is an MoT failure.

It could also cause problems with a vehicle examination and your insurers in the event of an accident.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_240.htm and scroll down for the relevant part

:blink::blink: Okay thanks paintman, I dont know what to do now :blink::blink:

Whats the general opinion on this one fellas??

Removal of an anti-roll bar from an axle on which it is a standard fitment is an MoT failure.

It could also cause problems with a vehicle examination and your insurers in the event of an accident.

I believe this is correct, but it presents an interesting quandry for some of us. My '02 110 CSW had no anti-roll bars when I bought it from my local dealer but there's nothing I can see in the paperwork to confirm this as the factory build. I'm not the first owner, so I can't be sure whether the bars were a 'standard fitment' as defined. There may be records elsewhere, I don't know. If so, I may be in trouble without knowing it! If not, your conscience is your guide as far as removing fitted bars is concerned....

Phil.

Guest diesel_jim

both my old company cars... a 300Tdi 110 SW (non county,steel wheels and rubber matting) and a Td5 110 CSW (with all singing bling...alloys,tinted windows, cloth seats,carpet etc), neither of them had AR bars fitted at all from the day they were made.

With a lift, there's a possibility that off road the anti roll bar links will flip over and jam on the axle case. As models were produced without these fitted - I would remove them.

When the link flips over on the drivers side, it presses on the axle really close to the brake pipe.

Les.

Let's also bear in mind, that although I havent checked to see if it is the case for defenders, for a discovery 1, land rover themselves clearly stipulate that in the event of installing a pair of heavy duty springs, the corresponding ARB must be removed. Sounds like more than permission to me! :)

Whilst i don't disagree with you. Mine has had 3 MOT's since I removed the ARB's at different Testing stations and no mention of the missing ARB's has been made by any of them, and all the brackets are still on the axles and chassis. I have also informed my insurance company (NFU) who had no problem with the modification.

I too have removed my ARB's

This was off a 2007 puma 90.

I fitted a GW challenge kit, with HD springs at the front and Extra HD at the back, it actually handles allot better...

Just to say thanks for all your views and help. Im going to take them off. Especialy after what les said!!

Right my new prop came earlier.....Time to get dirty!! B)

• 1 month later...
Just to say thanks for all your views and help. Im going to take them off. Especialy after what les said!!

Right my new prop came earlier.....Time to get dirty!! B)

One of my defenders failed on a ARB bush so I removed the bar completely and took it back the next day, the inspector could'nt stop laughing when he saw it but he passed it. He said if its not there then he cannot fail it.

My 110 started life as a hardtop which I converted to a csw with OME springs (a 40mm lift) and fitted an ARB.

My ARB flipped as stated in Les's post.

Subsequently uprated rear springs to OME 500kg spec and removed ARB as it had no effect with the stronger springs.

I am still legal as the ARB was not on the vehicle originally and the cornering performance is even better with the stronger springs.

I have not noticed a harder ride with the new springs, however I do have OME shocks on all round and have found them to be excellent.

John

I've just put 130 rear springs and dampers into my 110 CSW and removed the Boge unit.

The aim was to stop the rear sagging under load, which it was doing previously on the standard setup. Tired Boge unit, I suspect.

I initially removed the ARB, but found the handling a little too roly-poly, despite the much stiffer rear springs.

On good advice, I replaced the rear ARB and the handling is MUCH better. The ride height on the new springs is a little higher at the back, but not by much. It's certainly bouncier, but I can live with that.

We all trundled, fully-loaded to the Alps last week for 6 days of laning and the new springs really proved themselves to be worth the effort and modest £50 they cost from Dunsfold.

For serious off-road use, I might be tempted to remove the ARB to stop it flipping, but so far the axle articulation she has done hasn't given any problems.

• 11 months later...

Just resurrecting this old thread to ask a question.

Mine has just failed its MOT because I removed the ARB ....

So it looks like I'll have to put it back on (which will be a right pain because the bolts sheared removing it) - and I guess my only option is to make it quick release.

Would replacing the castellated nut with a bush (alloy or poly) and then drilling out the hole that takes the split pin and using an R pin work?

All the quick release set ups I can find seem to use a snugly fitted pin to hold it.....

post-10144-1248713998.jpg

Just resurrecting this old thread to ask a question.

Mine has just failed its MOT because I removed the ARB ....

So it looks like I'll have to put it back on (which will be a right pain because the bolts sheared removing it) - and I guess my only option is to make it quick release.

Would replacing the castellated nut with a bush (alloy or poly) and then drilling out the hole that takes the split pin and using an R pin work?

All the quick release set ups I can find seem to use a snugly fitted pin to hold it.....

post-10144-1248713998.jpg

Out of interest, what springs are you using on what vehicle? Failure for removal of the ARB is not a hard and fast rule on Land Rovers.

Generally the need for an ARB is dependent on the spec of the springs and the vehicle/body type. Some require an ARB to be fitted, some don't and some are optional fitment. The tester would need to be pretty sure he knew what was on the vehicle to fail it on this.

Obviously if you have removed them from a vehicle that should have them, then fair enough, it was right to fail. But if you removed them from an optional fit or have uprated the spring spec then no, it should have passed.

I'm trying to visualise what you want to do for the quick disconnect, but I'm visualising another failure for insecure mounting I think.