Tdi or TD5

Grant.

Hi everyone!

Since I am having to face reality and accept im not going to get my landrover back from the b******s which stole it from me i am hunting around now for a replacement.

It is obviously going to be a defender (goes without saying really :D ) however im not sure on what engine, its obviously narrowed down to the three engines:

200tdi

300tdi

TD5

Ive been told that the 200tdi is literally bullet proof, and the 300tdi is very much the same just a bit quieter(?), however what is power like on the tdi's compared to the TD5? I am only assuming that the TD5 is better and more powerful since it is newer, however I really would like many other oppinions from experience on this before i fork out!

Thanks

Grant

What are you going to use it for?

Mainly road/motorway, however as much playing as possible between the two :D

Only thing that concerns me about the TD5 is wading, I am sure that it is all sealed well(... maybe...) but its just the fact that everything is electronic.

Most of the electronic bits of a Td5 are inside or are well sealed. If you plan lots of deep wading (the fast way to knacker any Landrover I have discovered over the years) you will need to re-locate the ECU from under the drivers seat. You can buy extension cables to do this.

Having owned a 200Tdi for 6-7years, I bought a Td5 a year and a bit ago. I bought it partly as I do quite a lot of road miles and there is just no comparison between the two, the Td5 is smoother, quieter, more powerful and more economical than the Tdi ever was. If I had to choose again tomorrow there is no doubt it would be the Td5 again.

Chris

I currently own both 200Tdi and TD5.....no comparison the TD5 wins hands down every time. Its so much nicer to drive and anyone who says "its got electrics....run" is a bloody luddite and needs to look under the bonnet of any modern car!!

TD5 is more responsive, more powerful and easier (and more) tunable, its smooth on power and ive never had a problem pulling away altho some find it to be rather flat off boost....simple solution, use more revs if you want to go fast, or rely on its torque for a smooth pull away off road.

Tdi has bulletproof reliability and simplicity.

Td5 has better fuel economy, responsiveness and and is smoother due to the electronically-controlled-ness.

I have a Tdi, but I wouldn't have said no to a Td5, well looked after I'm sure it can be as reliable as a Tdi, and it's worth noting that no engine is any good if not looked after! :)

This one again?

This is one of those questions that can just go around & around forever!

You will probably find that in the end, it will be fairly evenly split down the middle.

FWIW, when I was in this position when I got my first Defender, I spoke to almost literally hundreds of people on this subject. I test drove 200's, 300's & TD5's, and decided that, for my needs (mainly Expedition use, nothing extreme off-road-wise) it was a 300 all the way. Quieter and smoother than the 200, a little less so than a TD5.

I ABSOLUTELY love my 300 B) :wub: , and if I were in the position to be buying another vehicle, it would be a 300 again, with no qualms whatsoever.

Saying that though, there is certainly nothing wrong with either of your other options. But, as I have the mechanical knowledge of a 2 year old, I love the simplicity of a Tdi motor, and the electronics in a TD5 would be just a little bit too much for me to comprehend if something broke. A lot of people may tell you (it was said to me by several people who know what they are talking about) that if there is fuel in a Tdi, it will get you home.

The ultimate aim for my Defender, is to drive to Cape Town from the UK, and I wanted something that even I could work on if needs be.

If I was doing a lot of road miles in the UK (I dont as I can walk to work) with occasional light off-roading, I would probably have veered down the TD5 route.

HTH

Martin

TD5 is more responsive, more powerful and easier (and more) tunable, its smooth on power and ive never had a problem pulling away altho some find it to be rather flat off boost....simple solution, use more revs if you want to go fast, or rely on its torque for a smooth pull away off road.

As a Tdi owner and driver of many TD5s I must say that I find the TD5 a pain in the neck to drive (literally). The power you get is never what you want, so you either lift off or push for more. It's a bit like being on a WWII Destroyer, with bells to show what power you want, ie 'ding ding full speed ahead'. When you get full speed it is too much, so you have to lift off and then you fall off the power band and have no power at all. On a motorway a TD5 will be easier to drive, possibly.

But I cannot help feeling that I need a neck brace to drive a TD5, especially the 90 variants. The 110s are more 'stable' and do not pitch so much.

I have driven a few 90 Tdis and found them very easy to drive. The power, such as it is, is more controllable.

What would it be replacing? If it was a tdi then you already know about them. My 300's had a pump tweak, and goes very well, fast enough for me, as it is only a shed!. Td5s do sound nice but I wouldn't want one. If you do go down the td5 route dont forget if you buy one built after (registered after?) 2001 then then you pay £400 road tax!

As a Tdi owner and driver of many TD5s I must say that I find the TD5 a pain in the neck to drive (literally). The power you get is never what you want, so you either lift off or push for more. It's a bit like being on a WWII Destroyer, with bells to show what power you want, ie 'ding ding full speed ahead'. When you get full speed it is too much, so you have to lift off and then you fall off the power band and have no power at all. On a motorway a TD5 will be easier to drive, possibly.

But I cannot help feeling that I need a neck brace to drive a TD5, especially the 90 variants. The 110s are more 'stable' and do not pitch so much.

I have driven a few 90 Tdis and found them very easy to drive. The power, such as it is, is more controllable.

Wow - they must make some really carp TD5's over there cos i drove mine doing 20K+ on motorways alone and never once had a problem like that!!!

I run a 90 300tdi auto for playing in the goo, tweaked pump, straight through exhaust and find it very drivable with plenty of power. I guess the main reason I use the 300 off road is the simplicity and reliability.

My daily drive is a 90 TD5, bigger intercooler, egr bypass, straight through exhaust, remapped ecu ( thanks Ian ) and does it GO!! Much quicker than the tdi. For primarily road use its got to be a TD5.

Lee

What would it be replacing? If it was a tdi then you already know about them. My 300's had a pump tweak, and goes very well, fast enough for me, as it is only a shed!. Td5s do sound nice but I wouldn't want one. If you do go down the td5 route dont forget if you buy one built after (registered after?) 2001 then then you pay £400 road tax!

Its to replace my lovely Nissan patrol straight 6 Tdi powered one which was stolen on Sunday last week, in my oppinion i thought that was a good engine (when it didnt have a blown turbo!) and towed really well even when i had another land rover on the back of a trailer (thats another good point, towing), I think however i should go down the land rover engine route even though the 2.8L TGV engines look good in my oppinion ,i want to keep it as land rover because of parts and support and servicing (and previous experience from the last time i had a non standard engine!).

So it is obvious to me that the TD5 is better for mainly on road use with the odd weekends of play however it is also the road tax as it was pointed out....

What is the power and torque difference between the 300tdi and TD5?

Which one is better, or can be made better for towing?

Which one is more tuneable?

Its surprisingly hard to decide... I would go for td5 because it is newer but newer is not always better!

Thanks everyone again!

GM

Td5 has a timing chain, problems with oil in injector harness and early ones had

some dodgy oilpump bolts.

300Tdi has timing belt, mechanical diesel pump and less power and refinement.

Both are good reliable engines and the best LR have ever produced, but don't just

think about the engine, look at the vehicle as a whole. Either one your not likely to

be dissapointed.