heater conversions.

kingdong2

Hi guys

has anyone fitted a different heater in there s11a as mine is a smiths round type and it is useless in this weather any ideas ?

graham.

hi kingdong

im using a mits / pajiro floor heater for the 109

e-blag £20

post-1882-1228223931_thumb.jpg

:blink: TWIZZLE :blink:

post-1882-1228223992_thumb.jpg

i have thought of the idea of using the heat from the exhaust to go through the heater and into the cab without sucking in fumes but it would be too much trouble so have decided to try and get a mini heater next year will have to visit some classic car shows and mini shows ?

graham.

Yes - Eberspacher or Webasto do various diesel-powered heaters, the advantage is they produce a hell of a lot of heat and are independent of the engine, so get hot as soon as you fire them up and can be left running with the engine off. They use very little electricity and between 0.1 and 0.5l / hour diesel. (Can you tell I've been researching this? :lol: ) I'm planning on fitting one into the 109 as I can't be faffed plumbing a normal heater in, and it means I can be warm if I sleep in the car.

I've actually got two 24V Eberspachers for sale at the moment, good price ;)

The original smiths type heater works well for the truck cab type, I fitted a mini heater into the rear toolbox to put more heat into the rear of the lwb . You definately need to fit the rad muff when running two heaters, to keep the engine up to a reasonable operating temp.

the problem i have with that is the s11a is fitted with a 200 tdi engine and the air filter is fitted under the n/s wing over the footwell and there is no where ells for it to go and the air filter is connected to a snorkel so looks like i will have to use a later mini type heater and have it using the air inside the car ?

graham.

the problem i have with that is the s11a is fitted with a 200 tdi engine and the air filter is fitted under the n/s wing over the footwell and there is no where ells for it to go and the air filter is connected to a snorkel so looks like i will have to use a later mini type heater and have it using the air inside the car ?

graham.

A while ago I fitted a heater to sI. Underneath the central part of the seatbox there is quite a lot of space. I found a heater matrix at a scrappy and a separate blower - the hairdryer shaped one. Made a ply box, bolted the fan to the side and positioned the exit where the lhd hand brake would mount. The heater hose was quite easy to route, the whole job was done in a day.

I remember having plans to fit some ducting and grilles to distribute the heat more evenly, but the weather got better.

A while ago I fitted a heater to sI. Underneath the central part of the seatbox there is quite a lot of space. I found a heater matrix at a scrappy and a separate blower - the hairdryer shaped one. Made a ply box, bolted the fan to the side and positioned the exit where the lhd hand brake would mount. The heater hose was quite easy to route, the whole job was done in a day.

I remember having plans to fit some ducting and grilles to distribute the heat more evenly, but the weather got better.

Brilliant! I've been forced to use my S1 as a daily driver this week and my bolts have been getting a bit chilly too. On my drive home this evening I was musing on using the space under the middle seat for a heater but didn't want to cut the seatbox to create an exit.

I've got a heater from an old ford granada fitted but it would probably be too big for the space left after fitting the 200tdi. In the process of fitting a small electric heater in the cubby box between the front seats. Hoping that this will mean I dont have to wait for the engine to get hot before I stop shivering. With the batt fitted under the drivers seat the wiring is easy and if the heater doesn't have an internat fan you could use a couple of the small fans found on pc's to blow. Hope you get warm soon.

Another option is heated seats, a warm bum more than makes up for a cold car. I tried to persude the local scrappy to let me have a pair of elements from an old volvo pair of seats but they would only sell me the seats. I did see a kit on fleabay for £50 but like most things there it is probably poor quality.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all

i have been given an 80s mini heater but i haven't seen it yet so when i get it i will try and fit it in the area where the round heater is now as i don't think it will fit under the dash in the middle ?

graham.

my 64 88" s2 had a mini heater fitted in the passenger foot well was OK but looked carp ,so i brought a 60,s Morris 1000 heater more in keeping with the year (same core as s2 round type heater just different front/back covers but she fits ) & it works a treat chucks out loads for heat & even better now I've fitted a truck cab as the heat stays at the front instead of trying to heat the van bit at the back as-well ,good luck with yours BTW & happy xmas