Chassis Plate and V5 on EBlag

sean f

Just had alook on EBlag and someone is selling a chassis plate and V5 with what they describe as the remains of a chassis.

Not very good at links, but if you search the land rover parts section for "chassis plate V5" it comes up.

I just can't see how this is legal, or if it isn't actually legal to sell then what legal purpose would a chassis plate and V5 have with out the rest of the vehicle.

At best it would give a false id to a home made vehicle that should have a Q plate, at worst it would be used to ring a stolen vehicle. Since there is only a chassis included then even if this was repaired and a vehicle built up on it there still wouldn't be enough point to be able to keep the reg.

ebay link

Guest diesel_jim

Looks dodgy, but I expect his defence will be "I'm advertising the V5 along with the remains of a chassis, so technically it's a chassis" (albiet not much of one)

I suspect he had a knackered old 90 and broke it up.

Still wrong though.

I believe Mark is right. Theres too many people busy bodying and poking their noses into other peoples business. I didnt think Land Rover people were like that...

All the time people are making it easy for folk to steal Landrovers (or anything else) and give them a 'new' ringed ID from a sale like this, I am going to make it my business. You obviously have no problem with it - I think that says more about you then it does about me.

Chris

I believe Mark is right. Theres too many people busy bodying and poking their noses into other peoples business. I didnt think Land Rover people were like that...

I take it that you would be ok with someone stealing your landrover and then using a VIN and logbook bought from ebay to disguise it and sell it on then?

I would suggest that if the sale included enough original parts to retain enough points under the DVLA points system to retain the vehicles identitiy then there would be no legal issue in the sale- still leaves the criminals an easy way to ring a vehicle though...

i can see what your saying,but when you can buy complete but knackered 90/110 for sub £1000 criminals will ring motors that way if they are determined enough.

i can see what your saying,but when you can buy complete but knackered 90/110 for sub £1000 criminals will ring motors that way if they are determined enough.

You might re-build a £1000 wreck (or even a free one) so there is at least a potentially legal reason for buying it, but what use (other than criminal ringing) is a V5 and chassis plate? I can't think of one..

You might re-build a £1000 wreck (or even a free one) so there is at least a potentially legal reason for buying it, but what use (other than criminal ringing) is a V5 and chassis plate? I can't think of one..

My mate told me that a previous Ebay sale was for Historical Worth? A VIN plate, a V5 and a bit of chassis. Kinda like a bit of Berlin wall :P

It sold for £200

I think he Hysterical Worth?

Marc.

all these reply,s and nobody has mentioned needing an sva for the log book and remains of the chassis when it is rebuilt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why, the chassis number is on the chassis leg. Cut the front corner off and replace as an accident repair - no SVA.

I kept the old bit of chassis with the number (off Ebay) as proof sir.

Guest otchie1
All the time people are making it easy for folk to steal Landrovers (or anything else) and give them a 'new' ringed ID from a sale like this, I am going to make it my business. You obviously have no problem with it - I think that says more about you then it does about me.

Chris

You are having trouble distinguishing between actually stealing someone's car and merely having the ability to dispose of it afterwards. To want to out-law the former is normal, to want to out-law the latter is one of the problems with the modern world.

What if I want to scratch build on a new chassis and need an identity to hang on it without bothering with a Q plate? Sure it breaks the bureaucratic rules but so long as no-one loses, so long as it's done properly, where's the harm?

All we had to do was make it an extra offense to have stolen and then ringed a vehicle - bang another 24 months on the sentence or whatever - but no, we knee jerk and ban everything.

Thank you nanny, I can wipe my own arse now so get your hand out of my bloody trousers.

..........What if I want to scratch build on a new chassis and need an identity to hang on it without bothering with a Q plate? Sure it breaks the bureaucratic rules but so long as no-one loses, so long as it's done properly, where's the harm?.......

The harm is when you hit someone and and they can't claim because your insurance is invalid.

Steve