Nicest / Best Truck Cab Roll Cage for a 90 ?

Hi All,

With the end of the NOR Front Challenge wings coming to a close (trying to get workshop warm enough for spraying :lol:)

I have decided that the Hard top must go :( . Whilst I do Looove the space its a pig size wise in tight spaces :moglite: so to

speak, and I have decided that its going to go and be a Truck Cab.

This means the lovely internal cage with double hoops etc etc I made with Jon White and the windows etc in the sides

conversion etc will be looking for a new home as the Truck Cab will need a new / massively modified Cage on it

I built the cage in the Hard Top, as at the time nobody did whjat I was asking for, but for truck cabs their is quite a choice :

On that basis Know a- the costs of tube, and b- the time it took me I am at the very least going to buy a unwelded cage

to Truck Cab it, and then modify it to suit, as I will most likely keep the front hoop, and remake from there backwards

So, cage wise, who and why would you go for ?

My "Wish List" is

• 1. Quality of tube and bends
  • 2. Tight as poss to the Cab / 90
  • 3 .Removable :lol: if required
  • 4 .Rear Hoop shaped more to the odd shape of the TC and not slab sided

So, couple of Qs :

• What have you got on your 90 Truck Cab ? - Please post up and Pics too please
  • Who should I consider ?

On my list at the moment are :

Protection & Performance - Had some pics, unconvinced the tubework does 2 & 4 above :9

NOR (Prop top of the liost at the moment :)

Whitbread Off Raod - 2 and 4 again are not good :(

QT - awaiting some pictures from them

:blink::blink::blink:

Post up pics options and ideas please ?

Nige

Can't comment on your list of favourites other than to say that Whitbread only use blueband (I think :blink: )which you might turn your nose up at.... :P Then again, it would be thicker than CDS which might attract you... hmmmmmmm

Bluddy typical you making this decision a month after I started to build my own hard top cage :(:(

Still, it isn't quite what I want so I shall console myself with that thought....

I cannot comment on the technical side of tube strength and sizing, but from a little research earlier in the year:

Whitbread Off Road - will basically take the primitive truck cab roll cage and modify it to what you want. Nothing is out of the question as long as you are willing to pay for it and lose the vehicle for a week to the other end of Wales.

Safety Devices (currently not on your list) make a nice removable cage. Mine is an SD one and it's more snug to the truck cab than a snug thing on national snug day. I'm not sure if it is like that as standard, but if not, they can be made to fit as closely as you like. I can't get my little finger between the cage and cab at the roof/gutter line.

My basic summary from the research I did was to buy a front hoop and make up the rest of it to suit my requirements. Basically because the front hoop has compound bends in it that I probably wouldn't get my head around until the world ran dry of steel!!!!!! The rear hoop will need to be made to suit your particular setting out of the rest of the cage.

The trouble with buying one off the shelf is that they are made on a generic jig and we all know about Land Rover tolerances already!!

HTH. I'll try to get some pictures in a mo and get them up this afternoon.

Hi Nige.

Some pics of mine are here:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=31560

Bascially its made to fit my truck, very tight to the shape, in fact so tight that its 'touching cloth' on the roof :rolleyes:

This is exactly what I asked for, tight to the shape, but not so tight that I cant roll back/remove the canvas.

Malcolm will definately make what you want. My suggestion would be to give him a call, he will always spend time talking to you.

He generally uses blueband, however I believe he will use CDS if you want.

Rich.

Whilst I do Looove the space its a pig size wise in tight spaces :moglite: so to speak, and I have decided that its going to go and be a Truck Cab.

Don't do it. :o There is sod all space for nuffin' inside a TC. It's a real PITA for a days social off roading, esp. with a passenger. Thermos flasks and sandwich boxes bouncing all round the cab getting in the sodding way.

And anything big has to go in the back. Which means it gets wet.

Don't do it. :o There is sod all space for nuffin' inside a TC. It's a real PITA for a days social off roading, esp. with a passenger. Thermos flasks and sandwich boxes bouncing all round the cab getting in the sodding way.

And anything big has to go in the back. Which means it gets wet.

post-22-1229098054_thumb.jpg

I lived with the Hybrid I built as a TC for 12 Years,

Yep Tight as a Tight thing, but I managed :) and had space for pies and essentials...

Its goin' TC :)

Nige

Of the TC cages I have seen the North Off Road ones are top of my list- very nice design, snug fitting and quality bends and welding

thats why i went for them, with 50mm tubing and good value for money - £675 i paid fitted but that was a while back. its also removable as Walft and I found out. plus Shaun will do custom work on them if required

^^^^

Kin hell where's me vulture emoction :lol:

Not sure yet - your not the 1st I have had a "selection of PMs"

I will have a think and post up a for sale with some pics when I get a chance,

its not going to be avavilable till mid Jan at the earliest

James, .....I think your right,

I phoned and e-mailed a range of roll cage suppliers explaining what I wanted....

Most have sort of e-mailed me 'something' - but not wnat I wanted in 99% of cases

why is it so difficult to send pics showing cages built ?? And as such I have had to chase...

Now I am getting "we don't seem to have a pic of the rear of the cage anywhere" ??????????? - FFS :lol:

The ONLY one to do exactly what I asked for was ??????????????

..........Yep - NOR

Its still top of my list

QT can't seem to mange to send me pics of anything - even after asking and nothing on thier

website - doesn't exactly fill you with confidence does it ? - and as for NOR the service and qulaity so far has been 10/10

You'd think with the "Credit Crunch" we here about - that companies might have got their 'acts together' a tad more, ??

at least Shaun at NOR should be pleased ...........that his competition seem totaaly unable to :lol: .............

Nige

Remember, with QT, Dave Marsh has another job. Being a fireman doesn't leave you with oodles of spare time. Being patient is a virtue which will be rewarded in time.

North off Road.

Went to Donnington indoor show and saw Whitbead,NOR and QT truckcab cages all close together fitted to vehicles.

That day made up my mind with no room for doubt - NOR was the best fitting by far.

The one I bought is still hanging on the wall in my workshop,waiting for a vehicle which to grace - so I cant post a usefull pic.

Devon 4x4 cages look good - made by P&P I think - a bit more expensive.

I think Jericho is right, NOR is ok good value for money, PP you get what you pay for and dont forget Tornado Motorsport they do very good cages too.

Shox Dr I think you will find that CFS360NBK (Hydraulic line tube) does not meet the MSA yeild strength so if you are using it for roll cages i sugest you find out what blue band and clubman 500 are!

Yep absolutely

BUT

Fully assembled ones like to see what the kit look like and how delivered / in what form

Shaun is hugely helpfull at NOR but also very busy ....so feel sort of guilty bothering him too much

he would still say no, ...and help,.... so a pic from someone with a 'kit of NOR bits' would be good :)

Nige

Ian H had one recently from NOR- it came notched, pre bent and part assembled- the roof rails are bent to match the shape of the roof, the cross on the roof comes assembled, as does the rear hoop and diagonals- IIRC the front hoop also had the rail under the windscreen fitted as well.

The whole thing went together very well.

NOR gets my vote, havent got one but the ones I have seen are top quality. Having spoken to shaun the cage is dummy built in his shop prior to shipping so should be just a straight forward..ish build & weld. Qt ....in kit form you have to do all the notching yourself which from experience is a PITA & time consuming to say the least. Dave only uses 48.3mm as opposed to shauns 50mm.

Ade