Waxoyl

BogMonster

I think I know what the answer to this is going to be but....

When you are applying Waxoyl does the surface have to be perfectly dry or does the stuff have water-dispersing properties as well?

At some stage I have several cans to go under the Discovery as the LR idea of a chassis coating on the Discovery 2's is rubbish and mine has quite a lot of minor surface rust now, but the problem I have is that it is quite mucky from being used on unsurfaced roads all the time so will require a lot of attention with a pressure washer to make it fit to apply anything.

Then the problem is I can't use it until it has been treated because it will get filthy again within a couple of days! Most of the chassis will dry off fairly quickly (I am probably going to leave doing it until the summer as it will never dry at this time of year) but all the little nooks and crannies that are corrosion traps probably won't, hence the question - is it a complete waste of time applying it to a chassis that isn't perfectly dry? I don't have any means of speeding up the drying process, I suppose a heated spraybooth would be the answer, but we don't have one at work.

Thanks

I think I will leave doing it till about Christmas time then maybe wash it off a day or two before I go away for my 2 week holiday, hopefully it will be more or less dry by the time I get back!

When it is dry and windy here in mid summer the drying conditions are pretty good outside, so knowing my luck that means it will tip down with rain all summer :angry:

The famous rustproofing company near Newbury always claim to use de-watering solution before applying Waxoyl. Stephen, I guess that in your location it would be best to use the de-watering treatment, not known where to purchase

I think in fairness to Chrssyboy he gave some good advise on this on the old forum. I used his suggestion and blew a mix of waxoil and whitespirit (IIRC) over the 90 but I think there was mention of using a waxoil/duck oil mix to get under any moisture.

Maybe someone should invite him to the new meeting place?

I might sent Chris P an email and ask his opinion ... I know he says that he dries it with some sort of hot air blower thing when the vehicle is up on a ramp, dries it in about 30 min or something, but can't help wondering whether it dries inside the chassis rails etc - I would have thought probably not (thinking about it I might do those before I pressure wash the chassis, then the outside after it has dried)

I suppose the obvious thing to do is break out some of the Waxoyl I have downstairs and do a few tests on some bits of wet and dry metal to see what the respective "stickiness" is.

The other thing would be to hose some WD40 around in the moist bits to get rid of the water, but I suppose the waxoyl wouldn't stick to that!

I think the postage would be a bit steep :lol:

What is really annoying is that the place I linked to above (Lawson HIS) is the same place I ordered the black waxoyl from (can't buy it here) ... if I had realised at the time I could have ordered some of the other gunge as well :(

Apparently it doesn't need to be dry. Check this out...

http://www.robisonservice.com/articles/RonR_waxoyl.asp

Although, those people are waxoyling 110s for more than a Rolls! $750! or a mere $200 per 5L to do your own!

http://www.robisonservice.com/servicedep/waxoyl.asp

At places with prices that high, my automatic BS detection device goes into fishy mode :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys,

Sorry this is a bit late but better late than never!

Can Waxoyl be applied to a wet surface? Yes and no. To be pedantic about it, any surface will be wet, even if it appears dry. Waxoyl is formulted to displace water and it does this very effectively.

I am about to re-run my ads showing the tests I did about 3 years ago. In these tests I dipped a load of test panels in a salt solution and then brushed the various rustproofing waxes and oils straight onto the wet panels. With all of the materials the water was displaced. It was striking how the water just bubbled through the various waxes and oils. On Waxoyl it really fizzed through.

So yes, it does displace moisture. Does this mean you can apply it straight onto a wet surface? Well I still prefer to apply it to a bone dry surface. I have never done a comparative test to see what the difference would be between applying it to a wet surface and applying it to a dry surface but I suspect there would be a loss of performance.

Re: using PX24, this is a very effective, high performance displacing fluid used extensively by the Armed Forces. This is what I used to use. I now have very effective drying booths and I can get a vehicle absolutely bone dry very quickly including in the cavities so I don't use it any more.

The "Robinson" link above is fairly accurate (apart from one or two inaccuracies, like Waxoyl being manufactured in Switzerland - its not - its just that the people who hold the "international" rights to Waxoyl are based in Switzerland (its a long story!). I suspect that he has got most of his information from reading my website and my ads. [wink]

Cheers Chris